LEO impersonation via CCW badge?

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

djthomas

LEO impersonation via CCW badge?

Post by djthomas »

Interesting story out of Amherst. It first hit a few days but has suddenly taken a strange twist to be a CHL issue.

Woman who posed as Amherst officer turns self in
Amherst police said a woman tried to exchange a pack of cigarettes at the Sunoco station on Leavitt Road, flashed a badge and told the clerk she would be arrested if she didn’t comply ... Rodriguez, of Lakewood, said she worked for a private security company and the badge she had is actually her concealed carry permit.
Oh really? Sure looks like a badge in the image they show. Apparently Ohio has finally given in and started issuing CCW badges instead of white plastic cards.

So here's my question, who's error is this? Is this a reporter's error or is this like the guy down in Columbus who assumed he had a concealed carry because he worked for a security company?
Tweed Ring

Re: LEO impersonation via CCW badge?

Post by Tweed Ring »

I think the error falls completely on those people who violated the law.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Perhaps I should have been more specific ... I'm wondering why what's obviously a badge is being called a concealed carry permit.
MrKitty

Post by MrKitty »

djthomas wrote:Perhaps I should have been more specific ... I'm wondering why what's obviously a badge is being called a concealed carry permit.
That's an easy one: Idiots. =D
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
-Thomas Paine
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

djthomas wrote:Perhaps I should have been more specific ... I'm wondering why what's obviously a badge is being called a concealed carry permit.
Because you put WAY too much trust in the media.
I've had consistently good results with ether.
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

It looks like one of those "CCW Badges" sold @ Heartland or Sportsman Guide. That might be what it is. Someone posted that link on here and when I viewed the ad, it came in a badge holder looking much like what was pictured in the article.

My side question is, I know it is more than silly to have one of those badges and obviously big trouble awaits you if use such a prop to impersonate a cop...but is it actually illegal to OWN that badge or even carry it on you (as long as you didn't flash it to pretend to be a real LEO)? I mean if this woman in the article had not broken any law except for speeding and when the cop whole pulled her over saw it in her purse, could she be fined/arrested for impersonating an officer just by having in her possession?

Whatever she had, it was a bad move on her part.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

dcludwig wrote:
My side question is, I know it is more than silly to have one of those badges and obviously big trouble awaits you if use such a prop to impersonate a cop...but is it actually illegal to OWN that badge or even carry it on you (as long as you didn't flash it to pretend to be a real LEO)? I mean if this woman in the article had not broken any law except for speeding and when the cop whole pulled her over saw it in her purse, could she be fined/arrested for impersonating an officer just by having in her possession?

Generally speaking, no. I've got a wallet sized badge from the fire department I work for. A few times through the years, observant (nosy) LEOs have seen it when the wallet was in my hands as I was paying for something or other. A couple of them tried to make an issue out of it, saying "You could be arrested for impersonating a police officer!" More or less told them to stop trying to be supercops and buzz off, nothing further was said/done.

Nowadays I use a duplicate regulation size badge in a leather holder worn around my neck on a chain. Obviously it stays out of sight unless I stop to help at a car crash or the like while off duty. So far no one has told me I could be arrested for impersonating Sonny Crockett. :wink:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

IMO, flashing a badge AND telling someone they could be arrested is what implies someone is an LEO.

Like Brian, I carried my FD badge in my wallet when I was a firefighter/EMT. I never had a problem.

Ken
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Anyone, including a peace officer, who "badges" another for his or her own personal gain, should be punished.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

Brian D. wrote:Generally speaking, no. I've got a wallet sized badge from the fire department I work for. A few times through the years, observant (nosy) LEOs have seen it when the wallet was in my hands as I was paying for something or other. A couple of them tried to make an issue out of it, saying "You could be arrested for impersonating a police officer!" More or less told them to stop trying to be supercops and buzz off, nothing further was said/done.
My EMS badge often sits in the cupholder of my truck and LEOs have seen it numerous times. None have ever said anything about me impersonating an officer, probably because they're familiar with the statute.
”Impersonate” means to act the part of, assume the identity of, wear the uniform or any part of the uniform of, or display the identification of a particular person or of a member of a class of persons with purpose to make another person believe that the actor is that particular person or is a member of that class of persons. (emphasis added)
Merely having the badge doesn't make you guilty of anything. You have to do something to play the part and it has to be a deliberate act to make someone believe you're a cop.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws
farblue

Post by farblue »

Tweed Ring wrote:I think the error falls completely on those people who violated the law.
Short, sweet, to the point. I'll give the lady the benefit of the doubt and categorize her as a poor idiot rather than a criminal. We'll see what the justice system thinks about her.
Rhino wrote:Merely having the badge doesn't make you guilty of anything. You have to do something to play the part and it has to be a deliberate act to make someone believe you're a cop.
I'm thinking that otherwise a LOT of people running around with "SHERIFF", "FBI", "CIA" T-shirts and windbreakers would be in a whole mess of trouble...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
Robert A. Heinlein
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Brian D. wrote:So far no one has told me I could be arrested for impersonating Sonny Crockett. :wink:
Might I suggest a clean Smith & Wesson 645, or a Bren Ten?
Or a 1972 Ferrari Daytona?
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Given the media's ability to screw stuff like this up, the gal may have been certified as a Security Guard, and while there are rules about off-duty carry, the security badge could be interpreted as a "license"....

Still very stupid behavior....

Reagasl
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

Its kind of strange, usually there is the same clerk there at that marathon there at Cooper Foster and Leavitt 58 and he strikes me as pretty intelligent and street smart. I don't know if he was working that night but would surprise me if he fell for any shenanigans. I've talked to him in small conversation's.

Btw. I wear 3 badges plus I keep one in my wallet that Identifies me as a "Luna, Moon Law Enforcement Division" .. .
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

wkdravenna wrote:Btw. I wear 3 badges plus I keep one in my wallet that Identifies me as a "Luna, Moon Law Enforcement Division" .. .
But you ain't got no stinkin badge.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws