Not all universities oppose concealed carry

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dynamike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Not all universities oppose concealed carry

Post by dynamike »

http://www.thelantern.com/campus/not-al ... Igy1Ybch1M
“We know there are students and faculty and staff that are carrying (a concealed weapon), but to this point it has not been an issue for us,” said Chief Steven Mecham of the USU Police Department.

According to the Utah State Legislature, “unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact, establish or enforce any ordinance, regulation, rule or policy pertaining to firearms that in any way inhibits or restricts the possession or use of firearms on either public or private property.”

The law, which was renumbered and amended in 2008, also states “‘local authority or state entity’ includes public school districts, public schools and state institutions of higher education.”

Mecham said the only initial concern when the law was passed involved faculty concerns if students came to their offices with a firearm, but those concerns “just kind of went away.”
My response:
"However, some schools that allow concealed carry on campuses by law have not had any problems with the policy." is an incorrect statement. Campus crime statistics in states that allow campus carry tell the real truth. Let's take a look at those.

There are 70 universities and technical colleges allowing concealed carry on 220 campuses in Michigan, Colorado, Utah, Oregon, Virginia and Mississippi. These campuses have a combined student population of ½ million. Add in faculty and staff and there are ¾ of a million people living, working, and playing on campuses allowing concealed carry. None of these campuses have experienced a single incident of gun violence (including threats and suicides), a single gun accident injuring innocent people, or a single gun theft as a result.

In fact, Colorado recently provided a good test case. Campus carry has been legal in Colorado for ten years now. Colorado State complied with law while University of Colorado did not. During the first nine years since the law changed, crime on and near Colorado State's campus dropped nearly 30% while crime on and near University of Colorado's campus increased nearly 60%.

Students for Concealed Carry does not want to change who can carry or otherwise own a handgun. We just want to change where someone who is licensed to carry may do so. We already carry in other non-secure locations no different from campus.

Michael Newbern
State Director
Ohio Students for Concealed Carry
Mike

I am an engineering statistician, US Submarine Veteran, avid motorcyclist, and staunch supporter of Liberty.

Ohio Director Students for Concealed Carry
NERES

Re: Not all universities oppose concealed carry

Post by NERES »

dynamike wrote: In fact, Colorado recently provided a good test case. Campus carry has been legal in Colorado for ten years now. Colorado State complied with law while University of Colorado did not. During the first nine years since the law changed, crime on and near Colorado State's campus dropped nearly 30% while crime on and near University of Colorado's campus increased nearly 60%.
Wow! Very interesting.
RichN

Post by RichN »

dynamike wrote:My response:
"However, some schools that allow concealed carry on campuses by law have not had any problems with the policy." is an incorrect statement. Campus crime statistics in states that allow campus carry tell the real truth. Let's take a look at those.
Something about this paragraph bothers me. At first read, it sounds like you are stating that concealed carry on campus has caused problems. The statement that some schools have not had problems is true. I know your ultimate point is that not only have they not caused problems, but have been beneficial. But this paragraph could be quoted out of context and leave the opposite impression.

That being said, the article as a whole is terrific.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)
BobK

Post by BobK »

RichN wrote:
dynamike wrote:My response:
Something about this paragraph bothers me. At first read, it sounds like you are stating that concealed carry on campus has caused problems. The statement that some schools have not had problems is true. I know your ultimate point is that not only have they not caused problems, but have been beneficial. But this paragraph could be quoted out of context and leave the opposite impression.

That being said, the article as a whole is terrific.
I'd have phrased it as:

"However, some schools that allow concealed carry on campuses by law have not had any problems with the policy." sweeps the truth under the rug: not only have there been no problems, it has also produced great benefits.

But that is just nit-picking, Overall it is a terrific article.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
dynamike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dynamike »

Thanks for the feedback.
Mike

I am an engineering statistician, US Submarine Veteran, avid motorcyclist, and staunch supporter of Liberty.

Ohio Director Students for Concealed Carry