Would-be robbery victim shoots two - Columbus

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Would-be robbery victim shoots two - Columbus

Post by TSiWRX »

cashman966 wrote:Does it warrant hands on pistol, do I move it to a coat pocket.
If you're going to put the gun in your outer-garment's pocket, be sure that you can actually successfully shoot through the pocket, first.

Many autos - even smaller ones with stout recoil springs - will not seat back into battery when used in such a manner. Shot "from the pocket" in one class (the instructor asked us to bring sacrificial outer garments that would be similar to what we'd wear on a daily basis), most of the autos would not reliably fire (a) follow-up shot(s), and this included a Glock, an XDm, and a Sig.

One could argue for drawing the gun and then stuffing it in the coat-pocket, only to withdraw it prior to shooting: dry practice this with just the pressure of a shot-timer buzzing in your ear, and it's easy to see how easily that stroke can be fouled.

If you're going to make this your tactical consideration, you'll want to give your carry guns a serious examination, too, to see if they pass the test. :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

TSiWRX wrote:
cashman966 wrote:Does it warrant hands on pistol, do I move it to a coat pocket.
If you're going to put the gun in your outer-garment's pocket, be sure that you can actually successfully shoot through the pocket, first.

Many autos - even smaller ones with stout recoil springs - will not seat back into battery when used in such a manner. Shot "from the pocket" in one class (the instructor asked us to bring sacrificial outer garments that would be similar to what we'd wear on a daily basis), most of the autos would not reliably fire (a) follow-up shot(s), and this included a Glock, an XDm, and a Sig.

One could argue for drawing the gun and then stuffing it in the coat-pocket, only to withdraw it prior to shooting: dry practice this with just the pressure of a shot-timer buzzing in your ear, and it's easy to see how easily that stroke can be fouled.

If you're going to make this your tactical consideration, you'll want to give your carry guns a serious examination, too, to see if they pass the test. :)
Usually I am carrying a wheel gun, it isn't hammerless so my biggest concern was material hanging up the hammer on its down stroke, but after several dry fires it never happened, I am pretty confident that pocket fire(s) would be successful.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
williatw

Post by williatw »

TSiWRX wrote:

Many autos - even smaller ones with stout recoil springs - will not seat back into battery when used in such a manner. Shot "from the pocket" in one class (the instructor asked us to bring sacrificial outer garments that would be similar to what we'd wear on a daily basis), most of the autos would not reliably fire (a) follow-up shot(s), and this included a Glock, an XDm, and a Sig. One could argue for drawing the gun and then stuffing it in the coat-pocket, only to withdraw it prior to shooting: dry practice this with just the pressure of a shot-timer buzzing in your ear, and it's easy to see how easily that stroke can be fouled.

Thank you for the information. I carry a Glock 26 in a cross-breed holster but in a situation where I was being followed (& felt threatened) I might have tried drawing it from my holster and putting in my jacket pocket. Forgot that the slide has to be able to move freely, if you expect to have to fire more shots successfully.
ktmrider

Post by ktmrider »

Article says there were THREE VICTIMS?
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

ktmrider wrote:Article says there were THREE VICTIMS?

One victim of assault and attempted robbery

Two victims of victim selection error? :twisted:
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
wobblygoblin

Post by wobblygoblin »

I love the one idiot poster named Jerry Campbell in the comments of the Dispatch article, "This is why guns are useless for self-defense..." :roll:
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

"If stupidity weighed an ounce and gullibility a gram, the population of this country would create a black hole that would swallow the planet."