Falling gun discharges "in mid air", shooting woman in leg

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Falling gun discharges "in mid air", shooting woman in leg

Post by Bruenor »

http://starbeacon.com/local/x1501703948 ... l-shooting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnson said the gun fell, discharged and struck her in the leg.
In her statement, it looks like she left out the part where she tried to grab the gun while it was falling.
Also interesting is the quote is from Johnson our local sheriff, you would think he'd know better.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Klingon00

Re: Falling gun discharges "in mid air", shooting woman in l

Post by Klingon00 »

This sort of news story just plays into the anti's agenda. They want people fearful that an inanimate object can just leap up on it's own volition and senselessly murder someone. Fortunately, more people know the truth these days, but the media is still pushing lies or half truths like this. I'm reminded that a lie told often enough...

Now had this been an older gun like say a Japanese Nambu, it might have gone off when it hit the floor. Even an older 1911 can do that if it hits muzzle down, but it's unlikely to hit anyone, pointed like that. It's always best to let a dropped gun fall where it may. Trying to catch a falling gun can violate several rules of gun safety all at once bringing the potential for disaster much higher than if you just let it fall.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

I'm trying to get my knives to drive my car and walk my dog. I think they do the most work when I'm asleep.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
yogidave

Post by yogidave »

bignflnut wrote:I'm trying to get my knives to drive my car and walk my dog. I think they do the most work when I'm asleep.
You have to be careful on how you train your knives, I woke up the other night and found my magazines loading themselves and my Glock was walking around unattended. After a stern talk with both of them they went back in the safe where they belong... :wink:
Face

Post by Face »

bignflnut wrote:I'm trying to get my knives to drive my car and walk my dog. I think they do the most work when I'm asleep.
You must settle for that Shredded Cereal that can drive a combine :)
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
Beskar'gam

Post by Beskar'gam »

Bruenor wrote:Also interesting is the quote is from Johnson our local sheriff, you would think he'd know better.
Might be fair to give Johnson benefit of the doubt, this is the Star Beacon we are talking about, accurate quotes are not their strong point - they misquote me constantly which is why I started doing all press releases in writing.
cabelas

Post by cabelas »

Was she kneeling next to the table and was dancing involved?
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Beskar'gam wrote:
Bruenor wrote:Also interesting is the quote is from Johnson our local sheriff, you would think he'd know better.

Might be fair to give Johnson benefit of the doubt,
I dunno.. I've never perceived Johnson as being Pro carry. back in 2004 when Concealed Carry was initially passed in Ohio, the application hours in Ashtabula were something ridiculous like a 2 hour window in the middle of a Tuesday afternoon. You had to take off work to put in your app and a second day off work to pick up your license ( I have a long commute) . No other time was acceptable for the application process. Not to mention whatever the time limit was for processing (3 weeks, 6 weeks ? Who remembers) Ashtabula Sheriffs dept. used the entire time allotted calling just before the time expired to avoid being in violation with the ORC. Amazing how fast other counties were processing apps at that time. That was long before we were down to two cars on the road due to budget issues.

Not to mention the time I was rear ended in front of two Ashtabula sheriffs deputies who "didn't see a thing" "Call the OSHP" really ? you were 20 feet away from the accident in front of the intersection you were hired to watch, and you can't even fill out a basic crash report ? has to be guidance from the top on that, to me it was a waste of OSHP time to drive out there while two sheriff deputies were stationed there for the entire day.. what exactly were they being paid for since they wouldn't DO anything. Took OSHP over an hour to get there, I just stood watching the Sheriffs chatting to each other the entire time.

All Johnsons given me is doubts, Wish I knew a bit more about Gentry..
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Beskar'gam

Post by Beskar'gam »

Bruenor wrote:
Beskar'gam wrote:

Might be fair to give Johnson benefit of the doubt,
I dunno.. I've never perceived Johnson as being Pro carry. back in 2004 when Concealed Carry was initially passed in Ohio, the application hours in Ashtabula were something ridiculous like a 2 hour window in the middle of a Tuesday afternoon. You had to take off work to put in your app and a second day off work to pick up your license ( I have a long commute) . No other time was acceptable for the application process. Not to mention whatever the time limit was for processing (3 weeks, 6 weeks ? Who remembers) Ashtabula Sheriffs dept. used the entire time allotted calling just before the time expired to avoid being in violation with the ORC. Amazing how fast other counties were processing apps at that time. That was long before we were down to two cars on the road due to budget issues.

Not to mention the time I was rear ended in front of two Ashtabula sheriffs deputies who "didn't see a thing" "Call the OSHP" really ? you were 20 feet away from the accident in front of the intersection you were hired to watch, and you can't even fill out a basic crash report ? has to be guidance from the top on that, to me it was a waste of OSHP time to drive out there while two sheriff deputies were stationed there for the entire day.. what exactly were they being paid for since they wouldn't DO anything. Took OSHP over an hour to get there, I just stood watching the Sheriffs chatting to each other the entire time.

All Johnsons given me is doubts, Wish I knew a bit more about Gentry..
http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/story.as ... yid=133951
Link above is for an old story you probably recall
I think he may have just resented the problems with funding and Judge Mackey's "Arm Themselves" solution - not that I disagree with the judge at all, mind you :wink:
IIRC, they took a little over a month to do mine, but I also called BCI after a few weeks and it was not Ashtabula holding it up, it was them

Have met Gentry on numerous occasions while doing jury duty, he and a couple other area chiefs took my CHL instructor's class when CCW started gaining more popularity and becoming more common - according to instructor and my observations, he is very pro-2A and supportive of CCW. I recall a few interactions with Johnson from when he used to own Riverside marine, always seemed a bit arrogant - also seemed rather strange that that the concrete dock at Riverside collapsed just a short time after it was sold....

You could always call or e-mail Gentry - he put his personal cell on his campaign site

Anyways, i share your doubts, however the Star Beacon is pretty darn undependable. Even worse if you call to correct them for a misquote - then they really get it wrong :shock:
BorisTheSpider

Post by BorisTheSpider »

Oddly, the full story was released here: http://www.northjersey.com/teaneck/Tean ... h_gun.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A 32-year-old Teaneck man accidentally shot himself when the gun he was carrying in his waistband slipped and he pulled the trigger when trying to catch it, causing a life-threatening wound, police said.
I wonder why the discrepancy in reporting. It's like there's some kind of thin line separating the two incidents... :roll:

By the by, pay close attention to the name of the friend in that story.
<disclaimer>If this post seems offensive, it was unintended; I probably chose my words poorly. If this post seems uneducated, that's entirely likely, but there is a slim possibility that I simply chose my words poorly. In either case, I apologize. Sit tight and someone more qualified will be along shortly.</disclaimer>