Injunction against House Bill 228

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Face
Posts: 513
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:10 pm

Re: Injunction against House Bill 228

Post by Face »

They are going to try this next.

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/c ... gislation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Columbus city council member Shayla Favor detailed three pieces of proposed legislation to create gun limits in the city:

Defining large-capacity magazine as any device that can store 30 or more rounds in a firearm and that only law enforcement, armed service members, and federal or state agents can possess magazines with that ammo capacity.
Excluded in this proposal are a feeding device that has been altered to not accommodate more than ten rounds, .22 caliber tub ammo feeding devices, tubular magazines contained in lever action firearms, and an inoperable magazine
Encouraging safer storage of firearms and penalize those who do not exercise due care when they know a minor could access them.
The proposes legislation would provide defenses for people who safely store firearms when a negligent homicide or assault has taken place.
Prohibiting the selling, giving, lending or furnishing of a firearm to an individual who is prohibited to do so.
This includes the prohibition of purchasing a gun with the intention to sell that gun to a person who is prohibited from carrying one.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
User avatar
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor
Posts: 9043
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:23 pm
Location: Westfield, Ohio

Re: Injunction against House Bill 228

Post by evan price »

Face wrote: Columbus city council member Shayla Favor detailed three pieces of proposed legislation to create gun limits in the city:

Defining large-capacity magazine as any device that can store 30 or more rounds in a firearm and that only law enforcement, armed service members, and federal or state agents can possess magazines with that ammo capacity.
Excluded in this proposal are a feeding device that has been altered to not accommodate more than ten rounds, .22 caliber tub ammo feeding devices, tubular magazines contained in lever action firearms, and an inoperable magazine

Pre empted by state law


Encouraging safer storage of firearms and penalize those who do not exercise due care when they know a minor could access them.

Feel good suggestion no power of law


The proposes legislation would provide defenses for people who safely store firearms when a negligent homicide or assault has taken place.


Prohibiting the selling, giving, lending or furnishing of a firearm to an individual who is prohibited to do so.
This includes the prohibition of purchasing a gun with the intention to sell that gun to a person who is prohibited from carrying one.

Already illegal as a straw purchase
What a waste of resources, nothing more than an appeal to certain people.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
M-Quigley
Posts: 4756
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:06 pm
Location: Western Ohio

Re: Injunction against House Bill 228

Post by M-Quigley »

The Judge heard what the city of Columbus was planning on doing and basically said, "Not so fast" :)

https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/202 ... rol-n64263" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Columbus city officials said Wednesday that they intend to act quickly to pass new gun-control legislation after a Franklin County judge last week blocked part of a state law that prohibited cities from having more-stringent restrictions than the state, saying it violated the state’s constitution.

“Even if the window is brief, we will be damned if we don’t use it,” City Council President Shannon Hardin said.

But before the dust had settled, the window of opportunity had closed again on Thursday, when Franklin County Common Pleas Judge Stephen L. McIntosh, the same judge who granted a preliminary injunction against the state law that prompted the city to act, stayed his own ruling pending appeal at the request of Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
Posts: 1249
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:16 pm
Location: Central Ohio

Re: Injunction against House Bill 228

Post by kcclark »

Columbus had public hearing yesterday on their "common-sense gun reform" ideas.
Mayor Andrew Ginther, City Attorney Zach Klein, and Assistant Police Chief Greg Bodker also took part in the hearing which came after Franklin County common pleas judge sided with Columbus in a ruling which gave the city a green light to regulate firearms.

"I can’t predict the court and how long this will last," Klein said. "But what I can say is that we are here and we have the opportunity. And this opportunity is golden."
https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/c ... ach-klein#
docachna
Posts: 2175
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:26 am
Location: Mount Juliet TN

Re: Injunction against House Bill 228

Post by docachna »

Google "Kabuki theatre". That's all this is, and they know it good and damned well.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
User avatar
Klingon00
Posts: 3824
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:47 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Injunction against House Bill 228

Post by Klingon00 »

docachna wrote:Google "Kabuki theatre". That's all this is, and they know it good and damned well.
I remember being told as a child that: "It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye".

It's important to remember that this is absolutely not a game to them should they actually get the chance. They intend to play for keeps.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
Posts: 1249
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:16 pm
Location: Central Ohio

Columbus passed their new laws

Post by kcclark »

Columbus City Council was busy last night.
The Columbus City Council passed new gun-control legislation Monday by a unanimous 7-0 vote
The law as adopted by the council would:

Add to the crimes of negligent homicide and negligent assault “storing or leaving a deadly weapon” in one’s residence in a manner in which a minor could reasonably be anticipated to gain access to it. Storing weapons in a safe, gun case or with a trigger lock would be presumed to have exercised due care. Violators face a third-degree misdemeanor, or — if a juvenile gains access to the weapon — a fourth-degree misdemeanor. Having a weapon on them in their home or in their “immediate control” is not a violation.

Ban “large capacity magazines” that can hold 30 or more rounds, or can be converted to accept that many rounds. This misdemeanor would result in a mandatory 180 consecutive days in jail without work release, and potentially up to one year, and a $1,500 fine.

Prohibit anyone from recklessly selling, lending, giving or furnishing a firearm to any other person who is known or there is reasonable cause to believe they can’t legally possess it. A violator could face a first-degree misdemeanor.
https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/loc ... 703708007/


Columbus City Council voted Monday night to pass what council members have called "common-sense" gun legislation.
https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/c ... on-hardin#
User avatar
FormerNavy
Posts: 2341
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:19 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: Columbus passed their new laws

Post by FormerNavy »

kcclark wrote:Columbus City Council was busy last night.
The Columbus City Council passed new gun-control legislation Monday by a unanimous 7-0 vote
The law as adopted by the council would:

Add to the crimes of negligent homicide and negligent assault “storing or leaving a deadly weapon” in one’s residence in a manner in which a minor could reasonably be anticipated to gain access to it. Storing weapons in a safe, gun case or with a trigger lock would be presumed to have exercised due care. Violators face a third-degree misdemeanor, or — if a juvenile gains access to the weapon — a fourth-degree misdemeanor. Having a weapon on them in their home or in their “immediate control” is not a violation.

Ban “large capacity magazines” that can hold 30 or more rounds, or can be converted to accept that many rounds. This misdemeanor would result in a mandatory 180 consecutive days in jail without work release, and potentially up to one year, and a $1,500 fine.

Prohibit anyone from recklessly selling, lending, giving or furnishing a firearm to any other person who is known or there is reasonable cause to believe they can’t legally possess it. A violator could face a first-degree misdemeanor.
https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/loc ... 703708007/


Columbus City Council voted Monday night to pass what council members have called "common-sense" gun legislation.
https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/c ... on-hardin#
They actually banned 30 round mags? Sure seems to be a 9.68 violation to me... queue the lawsuits...
User avatar
Klingon00
Posts: 3824
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:47 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Columbus passed their new laws

Post by Klingon00 »

FormerNavy wrote: They actually banned 30 round mags? Sure seems to be a 9.68 violation to me... queue the lawsuits...
Sure seems like it to me. So who gets to go first?
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:23 am
Location: NW Ohio

Re: Injunction against House Bill 228

Post by WhyNot »

But...but...what can be done?

https://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php ... l#p4409615" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just read it & weep. Or preferred, inact it and THEY weep. Columbus is under a judge's ire over this right now anyway. What's one more log, re, twig on their fire?

Brief synopsis: found guilty in court, the venue is https://pbr.ohio.gov/home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .Take that ruling plus show damage and file suit in another court. Say, $10mil per occurance :shock: . ''Your Honer, they've done this anti- 9.68before and NO EFFECT, so , punitive damages if you please.''
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
slidelock
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:13 am

Re: Injunction against House Bill 228

Post by slidelock »

I heard the law went into effect last night. Have any lawsuits been filed against this?
User avatar
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
Posts: 2571
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:44 pm

Re: Injunction against House Bill 228

Post by catfish86 »

Kind of like NY thumbing their nose at the Bruen decision. They don't care about the Constitution and the law. They know it will take time to get struck down.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
Post Reply