Ohio cop shoots dead unarmed man, 20, in his bed

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Ohio cop shoots dead unarmed man, 20, in his bed

Post by WayneB »

From the article:
Donovan Lewis, 20, was shot and killed in his bed on Tuesday by police in Columbus, Ohio
Officers had arrived at the apartment on Sullivant Avenue, in the Hilltop district of the city, just before 3am
They were serving a felony warrant for domestic violence, assault, and weapons-related incidents on the second floor of the apartment complex
Police knocked on the door for several minutes, yelling at those inside to come out, and two men did and were handcuffed and sat on the floor
A K-9 was sent inside and found Lewis' bedroom: the K-9 officer, Ricky Anderson, a 30-year veteran of the force, opened the door and fired a shot one second later
Lewis was unarmed but had a vape pen beside him: he died in hospital, and Anderson has been placed on leave pending an investigation
link to article https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... n-gun.html
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Re: Ohio cop shoots dead unarmed man, 20, in his bed

Post by evan price »

I honestly believe this was a negligent discharge, and why your primary light source should not be on the muzzle of your gun. I've watched this film over and over and it appears to me that either he pulled the trigger due to tendon contraction or else confused the trigger with the light switch while on sensory overload.

The immediate reaction after the shot is "Oop" and reholster.

That's my opinion, worth everything you paid for it.

Officer was trying to manage too many things at once: The K9, the gun, the light, the door... the backup officer should have stepped forward to clear the room while the K9 officer went to backup.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

30 years a police officer..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

evan price wrote:I honestly believe this was a negligent discharge,
I saw this on Donut Operator's Youtube channel. I thought it was a negligent discharge, too. I never knew how the light works on a firearm since mine do not have them. Your explanation makes a lot of sense.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
MikeB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by MikeB »

WayneB wrote:From the article:
Donovan Lewis, 20, was shot and killed in his bed on Tuesday by police in Columbus, Ohio
Officers had arrived at the apartment on Sullivant Avenue, in the Hilltop district of the city, just before 3am
They were serving a felony warrant for domestic violence, assault, and weapons-related incidents on the second floor of the apartment complex
Police knocked on the door for several minutes, yelling at those inside to come out, and two men did and were handcuffed and sat on the floor
A K-9 was sent inside and found Lewis' bedroom: the K-9 officer, Ricky Anderson, a 30-year veteran of the force, opened the door and fired a shot one second later
Lewis was unarmed but had a vape pen beside him: he died in hospital, and Anderson has been placed on leave pending an investigation
link to article https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... n-gun.html
Am I the only one that read that like the officer shot an unarmed dead guy?
"Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

No, you aren’t
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member