Oberlin slapped for $11 mil for playing race card for robber

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

docachna

Re: Oberlin slapped for $11 mil for playing race card for ro

Post by docachna »

Here's the latest from this (from my perspective) most enjoyable donnybrook, which now appears to be largely between solely the Gibsons and Zurich American. The Gibsons appear to be saying "start the bus, Zurich; you owe us the entire bond amount 'on demand'. We demanded. Pay up."

https://legalinsurrection.com/2022/06/g ... eme-court/

This is quite a read, and you do need to go back and read a couple of prior articles on the website to get fully caught up if you haven't been following it all the way, but the one thing I can guarantee you right now is that there is some MAJOR butt-puckerin' going on at Zurich American !!!! I don't know what, if anything, was filed in the Court by Friday, but I'll be trying to look it up online. Just after an initial reading of this article, I'm inclined to agree with the Gibsons' position, which appears to be "we don't give a d*mn whether Oberlin gets to the OSCt or not ! Zurich owes us under the bond. You guys duke it out if you want, but we want our money. Now."

Anybody getting any updates, please jump in !!!!! God, who needs a Netflix subscription !!!!!!!!!!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

It is interesting to be sure. A few of the customers at the cigar store downtown that I patronize are attorneys of various kinds. They have been watching the case, at least since that initial judgement was publicized. Makes for lively discussion.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

The comment by MajorWood under the article makes total sense from Oberlins perspective.
I still think that the screw-up with not getting an appeal extension was deliberate. Deep deep down I suspect that some in power at Oberlin do understand that they are going to lose, so being able to do so on a “petty legal technicality” is a possible way to save face. No, they didn’t lose on the merits or validity or evidence; they lost because a minimum wage paralegal somewhere forgot to put the stamp on an envelope. “Yeah, that’s right. THAT’S the ticket.” (apologies to Jon Lovitz) Losing this way, just about as they were going to win on double-secret appeal, is something that they might be able to get past the alumni who otherwise might actually get a bit riled that $50M was flushed down the toilet over a problem that could have been solved with a timely apology.
Fit's right in with their pattern of refusing to admit they were wrong.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Informal consensus among those lawyers I mentioned are that Oberlin is probably...in their legalese term...hosed with regards to winning this case.

********************************************************************************
docachna

Post by docachna »

Brian D. wrote:Informal consensus among those lawyers I mentioned are that Oberlin is probably...in their legalese term...hosed with regards to winning this case.
I hate it when civilians use technical terms that we lawyers use only in our innermost sanctums.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

docachna wrote:
Brian D. wrote:Informal consensus among those lawyers I mentioned are that Oberlin is probably...in their legalese term...hosed with regards to winning this case.
I hate it when civilians use technical terms that we lawyers use only in our innermost sanctums.

Objection: Relevance, and assumes facts not in evidence.
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Okay, those last two replies are hilarious. :lol:

EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

Looks like they're racked up $4,000,000 in interest so far...

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2022/07/ ... slandered/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
docachna

Post by docachna »

EricTheBald wrote:Looks like they're racked up $4,000,000 in interest so far...

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2022/07/ ... slandered/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Noticed this today as well.

Although the Breitbart article says it's set to be heard by the OSC, I couldn't find anything online indicating that they've accepted it. However, it's been a while since I've tried to navigate that site. :oops:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

4 million here, 4 million there, sooner or later it adds up to big money. :lol:

pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pk47 »

Brian D. wrote:

4 million here, 4 million there, sooner or later it adds up to big money. :lol:
They'll just get a college loan, and voila, Uncle Joe will say they won't have to pay it back! :lol:
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

docachna wrote:Here's the latest from this (from my perspective) most enjoyable donnybrook, which now appears to be largely between solely the Gibsons and Zurich American. The Gibsons appear to be saying "start the bus, Zurich; you owe us the entire bond amount 'on demand'. We demanded. Pay up."

https://legalinsurrection.com/2022/06/g ... eme-court/

This is quite a read, and you do need to go back and read a couple of prior articles on the website to get fully caught up if you haven't been following it all the way, but the one thing I can guarantee you right now is that there is some MAJOR butt-puckerin' going on at Zurich American !!!! I don't know what, if anything, was filed in the Court by Friday, but I'll be trying to look it up online. Just after an initial reading of this article, I'm inclined to agree with the Gibsons' position, which appears to be "we don't give a d*mn whether Oberlin gets to the OSCt or not ! Zurich owes us under the bond. You guys duke it out if you want, but we want our money. Now."

Anybody getting any updates, please jump in !!!!! God, who needs a Netflix subscription !!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think Zurich is sweating that much. Most of those bond companies invest premiums and have the time to invest wisely. In some ways they want to pay out because if they accumulate too much they have to start refunding premiums in addition to building credibility that they are responsible enough to handle a payout. In addition to that is the simple fact that they are then entitled to collect from Oberlin that has a lot of cash and various assets. Yep, take a Sheriff's deputy and a bunch of semi's over to Oberlin and start loading equipment for auction....desks, computers, dorm furniture, TVs and anything you can think of. You auction it off with expenses charged against Oberlin and repeat.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2022/08/ ... -are-done/

The Ohio Supreme Court ruled this week that Oberlin College does not have to pay the $36 million judgment it owes to a mom-and-pop bakery that the school slandered as racist while the appeals process plays out.

While the Tuesday ruling doesn’t mean that the woke college is off the hook, Oberlin is not obligated to pay Gibson’s Bakery while the ruling against the school is appealed, according to a report by Cleveland.com.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

This is typical with David vs Goliath lawsuits. Someone is wronged by a big corporation or the like, they think the threat of a suit is any kind of scare tactic on its own. We should do better than that.

Also, I should have hit that $1.3 billion Mega Millions jackpot.

docachna

Post by docachna »

Looks like Oberlin may succeed in their end game after all:

https://legalinsurrection.com/2022/07/g ... n-college/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anybody in the neighborhood (or even a reasonable drive away), go guy a dozen or 6 and help these fine folks out. And unlike ammo, the USPS will ship crullers.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE