3 Ohio cops injured from unintended discharge at station

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

3 Ohio cops injured from unintended discharge at station

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/local/3-piqua ... TPPTSYDG4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oops :roll:
The incident involved officers who had returned to the police station after a day of shooting range training. The officers involved were in the process of cleaning their weapons after the range training when a pistol unintentionally discharged, sending a single bullet into a concrete floor, Piqua police Deputy Chief Martin Grove said in a statement to News Center 7.

Bullet fragments hit three officers in their legs. All three suffered injuries minor injuries and were able to walk themselves to ambulances to be taken to Upper Valley Medical Center for treatment, Grove said.

All three officers were later treated and released from the hospital, Grove said.

The names of the officers injured and involved have not been released. Piqua police have also opened an investigation to determine how the incident happened, Grove said.
EricTheBald

Re: 3 Ohio cops injured from unintended discharge at station

Post by EricTheBald »

Ambulances? Plural?

For wounds that were most likely treated with Band-Aids?

What am I missing here?
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

EricTheBald wrote:Ambulances? Plural?

For wounds that were most likely treated with Band-Aids?

What am I missing here?
One or 3 they still bill all parties the same ridiculous amount for the ride (guessing they are compensating for all the free rides they have to give). I can show you my bill.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
513resident

Post by 513resident »

M-Quigley wrote:https://www.whio.com/news/local/3-piqua ... TPPTSYDG4/
The incident involved officers who had returned to the police station after a day of shooting range training. The officers involved were in the process of cleaning their weapons after the range training when a pistol unintentionally discharged, sending a single bullet into a concrete floor, Piqua police Deputy Chief Martin Grove said in a statement to News Center 7.
Piqua police have also opened an investigation to determine how the incident happened, Grove said.
I love the way they word it. Makes it sound like the gun went off by itself :roll:
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Bullets ricocheting off concrete floors tend to play hell with any shins nearby.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

We had that happen. Officer playing with pistol, boom. Ricocheted off industrial strength floor tile over concrete and disintegrated in the next floor cabinet.

FORTUNATELY 8) , another officer standing there had just moved and the only victim was the chipped tile. Which was never repaired, kinda like a reminder if/when staff looked at the floor ''what's that chip?'' for the next 15 yrs

Well, I suppose another victim was the boom boom officers wallets got several days pay whack for that one! Everyone wondered how he didn't get fired. ''POLITICS...MAYBE'' hehe
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

follow up: Officer gets written reprimand

https://www.whio.com/news/local/officer ... 3AZRZCMZI/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
513resident

Post by 513resident »

M-Quigley wrote:follow up: Officer gets written reprimand
https://www.whio.com/news/local/officer ... 3AZRZCMZI/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's punishment? Are the other staff at that department supposed to feel safe now that he's been reprimanded on paper? That's laughable. My Dad was a Ohio hunter safety instructor and NRA Life Member. I would have paid dearly if I had a ND under his roof. Further, he'd never, ever let me forget it.
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

I had an ND once, with a Blank Round, back in '86.

I needed to offload some MRE crackers and cheese REAL bad, so I volunteered to take a bunch of weapons back to the arms room. I mean like a dozen 16's, two Pigs and a Ma Deuce.

It was a good two mile walk with all that weight, clenching my butt-cheeks the whole time, like I had an M67 stuffed up there with the pin pulled and only my 4th point of contact holding the spoon down.

When that blank went off, I damn near rendered the bathroom moot.
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
synack2

Post by synack2 »

I have not had a ND yet, but the though of it scares the crap out of me. I came close once, but checked the chamber one last time before I dry fired, and a round fell out. I had mixed up the process of remove the mag and then check for and empty chamber. I checked for and empty chamber then chambered one and removed the mag. I am glad the injuries were minor, and no one was seriously hurt.
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

synack2 wrote:I have not had a ND yet, but the though of it scares the crap out of me. I came close once, but checked the chamber one last time before I dry fired, and a round fell out. I had mixed up the process of remove the mag and then check for and empty chamber. I checked for and empty chamber then chambered one and removed the mag. I am glad the injuries were minor, and no one was seriously hurt.
I was present when that happened one time in Germany. I had been made payroll officer which meant I was issued a 1911, a SP4 with an M16 and a car and driver to travel to Nurnberg and pick up the cash payroll for all of the 450 enlisted men in our company, bring it back to Vilseck, pay each of the men and get a receipt and end up with receipts that totaled the payroll and not come out short or with too much money. Quite a lot of responsibility for a 2LT with about four months of service behind him.

Before entering the payroll room, we had to clear our weapons and dry fire them into a 50 gallon drum filled with sand. Another 2LT ahead of me came up to the MP at the door, checked the chamber, dropped the mag and sent sand flying everywhere with the resultant BOOOM! Considering this happened in a hallway with a bunch of young officers and even younger enlisted men all armed with 1911's or M16's, it's a wonder that a firefight didn't result.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand