gun shop owner charged for alleged prank gone wrong

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

gun shop owner charged for alleged prank gone wrong

Post by Bruenor »

Pointing firearms is never funny.. wouldn't have been funny with the BB gun either.. and why is a firearm in the sales case loaded ? and this guy owns a gun store...
https://www.foxnews.com/us/south-caroli ... iend-prank" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
South Carolina gun shop owner charged for fatally shooting friend in face in alleged prank gone wrong

A South Carolina gun shop owner is facing charges for shooting and killing his friend after allegedly mistaking a Glock firearm for a BB gun in a prank gone wrong last month, authorities said.
Whitley allegedly admitted to deputies that he brought his replica Glock BB gun into the shop and placed it on a shelf among other firearms as a prank, an affidavit says. Investigators believe Whitely intended to pick up the BB gun but grabbed a different firearm by mistake.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Re: gun shop owner charged for alleged prank gone wrong

Post by evan price »

I'm not buying it.
How many gun stores leave loaded guns in the display?
Who handles guns all day and can't tell a BB gun from the real deal?
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

evan price wrote:I'm not buying it.
How many gun stores leave loaded guns in the display?
Who handles guns all day and can't tell a BB gun from the real deal?
Exactly.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

Not so sure about that part. I bought a Glock 19 BB gun a while back, and just now compared them side by side with my carry Glock. Pretty hard to tell which is the real one from just picking it up (other than the added rubber grip and some wear on the real one). Every detail of the outside is perfectly reproduced, with only an added "Officially Licensed Product of GLOCK" embossed on one side, black letters on black background. It weighs the same as a loaded one - I could not feel a difference when picking it up.
You just can't rack the slide, and if you look down the barrel in a mirror (safety first!), you see the smaller diameter barrel, which is recessed inside a normal barrel, so it still looks like a 9mm exit hole.

Still no excuse for what happened.