Shooting death and injury on Alec Baldwin movie set.

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Re: Shooting death and injury on Alec Baldwin movie set.

Post by Bruenor »

This article mentions the firearms prop master is 24 and this is only the second movie she has worked as the head firearms individual. On my phone dunno how you people copy and paste from these things easily. Here’s the link

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... ed-off-set" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

Immediately after the shooting, Baldwin began blaming someone else and it looks like the media is going along with that.

I don't care if Jesus himself descends from heaven and hands you what he claims is a "Cold Gun".

Until YOU check the gun YOURSELF, it's real and it's loaded. Period. Full Stop.

A drunk, homeless Veteran could have provided better weapons management
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Having reviewed a lot of the reports I believe Alec Baldwin should be charged with manslaughter. If he had spent a little bit of time reading the NRA's gun safety rules instead of attacking them, nobody gets hurt.

1) Always assume the gun is loaded. The unspoken part of this is if you are handed a gun you never trust anything other than your own check that it is clear.

2) NEVER point the gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy. Clear or not this gun should never have been pointed in anyone's direction.

3) Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.

What is more, Alec Baldwin is a producer and only hours before a number of the filming crew left after 2 or 3 accidental discharges. This screams negligence resulting in death.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Brian D. wrote:The media (and sheriff's department) keep referring to the firearm used as a "prop gun". By my understanding, a prop gun is just a lookalike, doesn't fire ammunition or blanks.
Any object used in filming is a prop. They may use rubber guns, "non- guns', blank firing guns, real guns modified to not fire, or real guns. It depends on the scene in question and the director.
Since the Hexum and Lee fatalities Hollywood unions demanded and got armored on set and a lot better gun handling practices.
However this movie, the armorer was inexperienced and despite being from a family business of cinema armorers. she said she was uneasy with taking over a movie as the main armorer. And due to prior incidents on this set the union either quit or walked off.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

evan price wrote:
Brian D. wrote:The media (and sheriff's department) keep referring to the firearm used as a "prop gun". By my understanding, a prop gun is just a lookalike, doesn't fire ammunition or blanks.
Any object used in filming is a prop. They may use rubber guns, "non- guns', blank firing guns, real guns modified to not fire, or real guns. It depends on the scene in question and the director.
Since the Hexum and Lee fatalities Hollywood unions demanded and got armored on set and a lot better gun handling practices.
However this movie, the armorer was inexperienced and despite being from a family business of cinema armorers. she said she was uneasy with taking over a movie as the main armorer. And due to prior incidents on this set the union either quit or walked off.
As I recall, the original Magnificent Seven (far better than the remake) used live ammunition in the scene where Steve McQueen fires the shotgun from the top of the hearse and shoots out the window in the building. The rest of the area around the window was heavily armored and the man at the window was supposed to drop down after sticking a gun out the window. He did, but they decided, even though it was planned, that it was too close and changed policies for the use of live ammo after that.

Here, the only excuse for Baldwin not checking the gun and not pointing and firing it at the camera would be if the scene required someone to toss it to him to turn and fire at the camera for the visual effect. But, even then, there are usually enough cuts and splices to allow a live round to be discovered. I see the strong likelihood of criminal negligence here, but I imagine the armorer will take the fall and Baldwin will be whitewashed. Civil liability is another matter though.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

evan price wrote: Since the Hexum and Lee fatalities Hollywood unions demanded and got armored on set and a lot better gun handling practices.
That seems to be the current spin. I'm not ready to buy it as the truth just yet though. Sure I'm biased against Baldwin, but I truly believe he'd throw anyone and everyone under the proverbial bus to escape taking blame here. On Friday there were reports from crew that the gun in question belonged to Baldwin and he'd been target shooting with it earlier.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Brian wrote: That seems to be the current spin. I'm not ready to buy it as the truth just yet though. Sure I'm biased against Baldwin, but I truly believe he'd throw anyone and everyone under the proverbial bus to escape taking blame here. On Friday there were reports from crew that the gun in question belonged to Baldwin and he'd been target shooting with it earlier.

I'd heard and repeated that myself.
Ultimately it's the responsibility of whomever pulls the trigger what happens with any gun.
As always whenever something goes wrong it's often not just one error but a chain of circumstances leading up to the disaster.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

evan price wrote:
Brian wrote: That seems to be the current spin. I'm not ready to buy it as the truth just yet though. Sure I'm biased against Baldwin, but I truly believe he'd throw anyone and everyone under the proverbial bus to escape taking blame here. On Friday there were reports from crew that the gun in question belonged to Baldwin and he'd been target shooting with it earlier.

I'd heard and repeated that myself.
Ultimately it's the responsibility of whomever pulls the trigger what happens with any gun.
As always whenever something goes wrong it's often not just one error but a chain of circumstances leading up to the disaster.
One hundred percent true. Alec Baldwin, even if the current spin that Asst Director David Hall handed the gun to Baldwin and declared it clear, is responsible. If I am at a gun shop and the clerk clears the gun and hands it to me, I clear it myself even though I just watched him do it. I would hope I NEVER do what Baldwin did. Even cases where the scene calls for a gun firing into the camera it is done with an unmanned camera. That being said, Alec Baldwin will never be held accountable. As a matter of fact now there are petitions to ban guns on movie sets. Rather than taking a class of firearms safety and accepting responsibility, they again attack the tool.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

I'll preface this by confessing that I've never even been close to a movie set, let alone been in a movie, much less starred in one.

Is anyone here actually in the industry? or have experience being a set armorer?

The reason why I am asking is because I find it rather incredulous that the actor himself would be responsible for knowing the status of "the weapon" - and I'm putting that in quotes as, truly, it's not a "weapon" when on-set, right'? it's a prop, just like any other prop that the actor/actress would have interactions with, no?

Let's look at a film like John Wick or The Matrix. Are Reeves - since we're all speaking so highly of him, here - or his co-stars supposed to check every single blank and dummy cartridge used? Scene after scene, take after take? https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/the ... were-fired" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Remember it's not about just the gunshots we see on-screen, but also every shot that was taken in order to get to what we do see - and also in all the footage we don't see, too.

Maybe that *_is_* the case, and hence it's why I'm asking. But in my mind, I don't see them preparing for stepping out onto the set like what any one of us would do in our preparations for a range day, training class, competition - or for that matter "gassing up" and preparing to step foot out of our door every morning.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
docachna

Post by docachna »

Some reports now say a bunch of union crew walked out a couple hours before this (film) shooting, and non-union replacements were on site. Doesn't make for happy campers.

It's also being bandied about that the casing for the fired round disappeared before LEO arrived.

We won't know anything until at least after the criminal investigation concludes, and probably damn little then, given the Cali tendency to protect "special people".

Finally, a very interesting interview with John Schneider ("Them Damn Dukes !!!!"), an ardent 2A supporter (which probably explains why you haven't seen him anywhere but Newsmax about this one).

https://fb.watch/8RBsrMAyB-/

He had some very interesting observations about the whole thing, particularly the fact that Baldwin is also a producer on the project, and therefore responsible for staffing, including the armorer and prop people. Also the fact that a true "prop gun" doesn't even have a firing pin, and thus, whatever was used in this debacle, it was NOT a prop gun.

Personally - I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up finding out a local union worker slipped a live round into the pistol, then absconded with the empty casing after the shooting. No evidence to support it at present, but it's a logical explanation, and maybe one of the more likely explanations.

Hopefully we find out one day.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ I also think that Baldwin being a Producer is what's going to really mess things up for him, legally.

In terms of the words "prop gun," I thought that was way too ambiguous - that in the industry, it carried multiple meanings: everything from a non-functional replica to a true firearm that is loaded with blanks.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

TSiWRX wrote:Are Reeves... or his co-stars supposed to check every single blank and dummy cartridge used?
Nobody is saying he's supposed to check every cartridge.

What we ARE saying is that every time he is handed a gun he should check it to see if it's real or fake, empty or loaded, and loaded with what.

Wouldn't YOU?
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Using a prop gun for live ammo target practice around time of filming. The more I hear about this incident the more I believe it comes back to the firearms prop master not having proper controls in place.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... arsal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The gun that killed the cinematographer on the set of Alec Baldwin's Rust had been used for target practice by crew members, sources linked to the western film's production said.

Multiple sources connected to the set of Rust told TMZ that the same Colt pistol that went off in Alec Baldwin's hands, killing Halyna Hutchins and injuring director Joel Souza, had been used recreationally by crew members.

The sources claim that some crew members would go off for target practice using real bullets, and some believe a live round from those practice sessions found its way onto the set.

Another source told TMZ that live ammo and blanks were being stored in the same area on set, offering another possible explanation as to how a bullet was fired from Baldwin's Colt.

A search warrant released Friday said that Rust armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, 24, had laid out three prop guns on a cart outside the filming location, and first assistant director Dave Halls grabbed the Colt from the cart and brought it inside to Baldwin, unaware that it was loaded with live rounds.

'Cold gun!' shouted Halls before handing the gun to Baldwin, using the phrase to signal to cast and crew that the gun was safe to fire for the scene, the warrant said.
Hollywood professionals say they're baffled by the circumstances and production crews have quickly stepped up safety measures.

Jeffrey Wright, who has worked on projects including the James Bond franchise and the upcoming movie 'The Batman,' was acting with a weapon on the set of 'Westworld' when news broke of the shooting Thursday at a New Mexico ranch. 'We were all pretty shocked. And it informed what we did from that moment on,' he said in an interview Sunday at the Newport Beach Film Festival.

'I don't recall ever being handed a weapon that was not cleared in front of me - meaning chamber open, barrel shown to me, light flashed inside the barrel to make sure that it's cleared,' Wright said. 'Clearly, that was a mismanaged set.'

Actor Ray Liotta agreed with Wright that the checks on firearms are usually extensive.

'They always - that I know of - they check it so you can see,' Liotta said. 'They give it to the person you're pointing the gun at, they do it to the producer, they show whoever is there that it doesn't work.
'
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

The gun was fired twice ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

From CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/25/entertai ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB