Chicago to sue gangs and seize assets to reduce gun violence

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chicago to sue gangs and seize assets to reduce gun violence

Postby Bruenor » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:07 am

Heaven forbid you arrest them, criminally charge them, and then seize their assets. Nah don't want to incarcerate anyone, we'll just sue them in civil court.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-gun- ... shed-gangs

"As a city we are using every tool to push back against the gangs that are leaving a trail of blood, death and misery in their wake," Lightfoot said, according to the report. If successful in their legal efforts, the city could thwart gangs’ activities by seizing property, such as weapons, money and vehicles.

"What we are proposing is a tool in civil courts that gives us the opportunity to go after those gangs that are wreaking havoc," Lightfoot reportedly said, "and in particular, take away the profit motive from them by seizing assets that they have been able to purchase because of their violent activity in our neighborhoods."


what will they think of next. :roll:
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine
User avatar
Bruenor
 
Posts: 7084
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:03 pm
Location: Geneva, OH

Re: Chicago to sue gangs and seize assets to reduce gun viol

Postby FormerNavy » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:46 pm

Bruenor wrote:Heaven forbid you arrest them, criminally charge them, and then seize their assets. Nah don't want to incarcerate anyone, we'll just sue them in civil court.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-gun- ... shed-gangs

"As a city we are using every tool to push back against the gangs that are leaving a trail of blood, death and misery in their wake," Lightfoot said, according to the report. If successful in their legal efforts, the city could thwart gangs’ activities by seizing property, such as weapons, money and vehicles.

"What we are proposing is a tool in civil courts that gives us the opportunity to go after those gangs that are wreaking havoc," Lightfoot reportedly said, "and in particular, take away the profit motive from them by seizing assets that they have been able to purchase because of their violent activity in our neighborhoods."


what will they think of next. :roll:



Admittedly I didn't read the story... and whether you agree with it or not, I thought they could seize stuff right now if used in conjunction with criminal activity??
User avatar
FormerNavy
 
Posts: 2249
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:19 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: Chicago to sue gangs and seize assets to reduce gun viol

Postby EricTheBald » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:11 pm

Apparently, Beetlejuice wants to try everything that wont work, before trying anything that does.
EricTheBald
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:15 am

Re: Chicago to sue gangs and seize assets to reduce gun viol

Postby Bruenor » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:21 pm

FormerNavy wrote:
Bruenor wrote:Heaven forbid you arrest them, criminally charge them, and then seize their assets. Nah don't want to incarcerate anyone, we'll just sue them in civil court.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-gun- ... shed-gangs

"As a city we are using every tool to push back against the gangs that are leaving a trail of blood, death and misery in their wake," Lightfoot said, according to the report. If successful in their legal efforts, the city could thwart gangs’ activities by seizing property, such as weapons, money and vehicles.

"What we are proposing is a tool in civil courts that gives us the opportunity to go after those gangs that are wreaking havoc," Lightfoot reportedly said, "and in particular, take away the profit motive from them by seizing assets that they have been able to purchase because of their violent activity in our neighborhoods."


what will they think of next. :roll:



Admittedly I didn't read the story... and whether you agree with it or not, I thought they could seize stuff right now if used in conjunction with criminal activity??


I do believe they can seize any assets that were obtained from criminal means, or the profits from selling drugs, etc.. but then you have to charge them with the offense, and prosecute them.. she seems to want to skip that part. so leave the criminals on the streets, but take their assets.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine
User avatar
Bruenor
 
Posts: 7084
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:03 pm
Location: Geneva, OH

Re: Chicago to sue gangs and seize assets to reduce gun viol

Postby Aesinsp » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:21 pm

EricTheBald wrote:Apparently, Beetlejuice wants to try everything that wont work, before trying anything that does.

Oh No you didn't.. LOL
That isn't far off at all.
More related to the topic at hand, this gives the added fluff to throw into a press release to paint the narrative that they are trying to do something.. Something to fill the echo chamber.
The Constitution is the solution.
Ours IS a constitutional, representative republic!
Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
granddeception.com
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 1197
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:27 am
Location: Central Ohio

Re: Chicago to sue gangs and seize assets to reduce gun viol

Postby WhyNot » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:41 am

Perhaps they are attempting an end run around their own revolving door legal system :P . Charge dude, he gets out on .0000005% bail and disappears. So when you DO locate him, again & again and, again again, don't run him through that system just take his stuff. His stuff is more a stationary target I suppose.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:23 am
Location: NW Ohio

Re: Chicago to sue gangs and seize assets to reduce gun viol

Postby deanimator » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:43 am

The IRS could have rolled the gangs up decades ago, the way they got Capone.

But then they'd have to WANT to, and have cooperation from the cravenly corrupt city "government" and police.

Both of those institutions are HEAVILY compromised by the gangs.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
User avatar
deanimator
 
Posts: 7843
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:34 pm
Location: Rocky River

Re: Chicago to sue gangs and seize assets to reduce gun viol

Postby steves 50de » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:47 pm

deanimator wrote:The IRS could have rolled the gangs up decades ago, the way they got Capone.

But then they'd have to WANT to, and have cooperation from the cravenly corrupt city "government" and police.

Both of those institutions are HEAVILY compromised by the gangs.

Gang's make millions,... city hall and the cops MAY get a cut of those millions.
Just sayin. :? :?: It is Chicago.
Black Rifles Matter
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 3434
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:26 pm
Location: n.e. ohio

Re: Chicago to sue gangs and seize assets to reduce gun viol

Postby deanimator » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:32 pm

steves 50de wrote:
deanimator wrote:The IRS could have rolled the gangs up decades ago, the way they got Capone.

But then they'd have to WANT to, and have cooperation from the cravenly corrupt city "government" and police.

Both of those institutions are HEAVILY compromised by the gangs.

Gang's make millions,... city hall and the cops MAY get a cut of those millions.
Just sayin. :? :?: It is Chicago.


MAY???

It's a documented fact that aldermen use gang members in their "get out the vote" efforts. Chicago cops have been caught supplying gang members with information and even duffle bags full of ammunition.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
User avatar
deanimator
 
Posts: 7843
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:34 pm
Location: Rocky River

Re: Chicago to sue gangs and seize assets to reduce gun viol

Postby WY_Not » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:08 am

Surprised they didn't just skip the trial and go straight to "civil" forfeiture.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.

Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
User avatar
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 2396
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Miami County, OH

Re: Chicago to sue gangs and seize assets to reduce gun viol

Postby Brian D. » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:05 am

Railroad cop friend told me guns got stolen right off trains in the Chicago yards. Somehow they knew exactly where the guns were, when to break into the property, and the local cops somehow never caught anybody.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 15632
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Chicago to sue gangs and seize assets to reduce gun viol

Postby deanimator » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:51 am

Brian D. wrote:Railroad cop friend told me guns got stolen right off trains in the Chicago yards. Somehow they knew exactly where the guns were, when to break into the property, and the local cops somehow never caught anybody.


I wonder what would happen if the BATFE went after the Chicago PD and started getting search warrants for their homes...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
User avatar
deanimator
 
Posts: 7843
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:34 pm
Location: Rocky River

Re: Chicago to sue gangs and seize assets to reduce gun viol

Postby Brian D. » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:02 pm

I doubt BATFE under the current administration would make any effort to crack that but.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 15632
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio


Return to In The News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 3 guests

cron