Violence is up. Police numbers are down.. no-one is applying

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Violence is up. Police numbers are down.. no-one is applying

Postby Bruenor » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:34 am

Interesting the conclusions they draw in this article.. also didn't know we had a 'gun violence research center' here in Cleveland

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2021/06 ... lence.html

Cleveland is not alone. Many of the same issues that led to a historic nationwide spike in violent crime remain in 2020 continued through the first months of 2021, according to Daniel Flannery, the director for the Begun Center for Violence Prevention Research Education at Case Western Reserve University.

Increased gun sales and little regulation in the gun industry led to widespread access to guns.

Little regulation in the gun industry ? where did they pull that nugget from..

Cleveland police in recent weeks announced an operation focused on cracking down on violent crime and gun seizures.

Gun seizures and gun arrests are up in 2021. Police seized 1,319 so far, a 72 percent increase, and made 699 gun-related arrests, up 117 percent over last year. But those numbers pale in comparison to the number of guns people carry, Asher said.


Flannery said the lifting of coronavirus restrictions would provide more opportunities for shootings.

Ah I see the restrictions reduced the violence.... Everyone is just waiting for the restriction to be fully lifted so they can go shoot people..

Santana said she believes the city needs more police officers to address violent crime. Cleveland police have about 1,470 officers, down about 130 from its budgeted amount. Santana said that needs to change for police to solve more cases.


“No one is applying to be a police officer,” Santana said. “We’ve done recruiting efforts and reached out to schools, and the response is, who wants to be a cop right now? They’re not paid much. They’re under so much scrutiny and people would rather not do it.”

Shouldn't be surprised on this one, after the huge outpouring of support for police officers over the past year.. /s
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine
User avatar
Bruenor
 
Posts: 7028
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:03 pm
Location: Geneva, OH

Re: Violence is up. Police numbers are down.. no-one is appl

Postby Brian D. » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:12 am

Bruenor wrote:Little regulation in the gun industry ? where did they pull that nugget from..


That would be a butt nugget, Brue. Is it okay to call you Brue after all these years? :mrgreen:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 15561
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Violence is up. Police numbers are down.. no-one is appl

Postby Bruenor » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:34 am

Brian D. wrote:
Bruenor wrote:Little regulation in the gun industry ? where did they pull that nugget from..


That would be a butt nugget, Brue. Is it okay to call you Brue after all these years? :mrgreen:


You can call me pretty much anything but late for dinner :)

Also I concur with your source reasoning. it's like the 'gun violence researcher' version of Zap Carry.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine
User avatar
Bruenor
 
Posts: 7028
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:03 pm
Location: Geneva, OH

Re: Violence is up. Police numbers are down.. no-one is appl

Postby M-Quigley » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:23 am

Bruenor wrote:Interesting the conclusions they draw in this article.. also didn't know we had a 'gun violence research center' here in Cleveland

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2021/06 ... lence.html

Cleveland is not alone. Many of the same issues that led to a historic nationwide spike in violent crime remain in 2020 continued through the first months of 2021, according to Daniel Flannery, the director for the Begun Center for Violence Prevention Research Education at Case Western Reserve University.

Increased gun sales and little regulation in the gun industry led to widespread access to guns.

Little regulation in the gun industry ? where did they pull that nugget from..

Cleveland police in recent weeks announced an operation focused on cracking down on violent crime and gun seizures.

Gun seizures and gun arrests are up in 2021. Police seized 1,319 so far, a 72 percent increase, and made 699 gun-related arrests, up 117 percent over last year. But those numbers pale in comparison to the number of guns people carry, Asher said.


Flannery said the lifting of coronavirus restrictions would provide more opportunities for shootings.

Ah I see the restrictions reduced the violence.... Everyone is just waiting for the restriction to be fully lifted so they can go shoot people..

Santana said she believes the city needs more police officers to address violent crime. Cleveland police have about 1,470 officers, down about 130 from its budgeted amount. Santana said that needs to change for police to solve more cases.


“No one is applying to be a police officer,” Santana said. “We’ve done recruiting efforts and reached out to schools, and the response is, who wants to be a cop right now? They’re not paid much. They’re under so much scrutiny and people would rather not do it.”

Shouldn't be surprised on this one, after the huge outpouring of support for police officers over the past year.. /s


Image
M-Quigley
 
Posts: 4029
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:06 pm
Location: Western Ohio

Re: Violence is up. Police numbers are down.. no-one is appl

Postby AlanM » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:50 am

I stole that image and reposted it on other state pro-gun forums.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
User avatar
AlanM
 
Posts: 9393
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:38 am
Location: Was Stow, OH now Charlottesville, VA

Re: Violence is up. Police numbers are down.. no-one is appl

Postby catfish86 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:10 am

I just posted that image on my facebook page. Love it.

As an accountant I will say one thing about the police recruiting. It states that police are not paid well. I do their taxes and a cross section of the population (literally 1200 returns a year). That is NOT true. Job does carry danger but I believe more convenience store clerks are killed than police every year and this part of the argument is NOT valid. It is rooted in politicians whose solution to every problem is to raise budgets that they can skim/control.

Now all the other arguments are pretty valid as to recruiting police.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
User avatar
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 2487
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:44 pm


Return to In The News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron