Guy tells 911 operator that he is an idiot for neg discharge

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Guy tells 911 operator that he is an idiot for neg discharge

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/local/report- ... brVmjPKOM/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DAYTON — UPDATE @ 8:07 p.m.: A man who shot himself in the leg accidentally chided himself for what happened, but quickly won the sympathy of a 9-1-1 dispatcher.

"My gun misfired while I was cleaning it," the Richmond Avenue resident told the Montgomery County 9-1-1 dispatcher.

"I took it apart 'cause I go shooting a lot and there was one in the head and I didn't realize it. And I accidentally shot myself in the leg."

The man said he goes to the shooting range four times a week and should have been more careful.

"Gun safety 101. I'm an idiot," he said.

The dispatcher quickly responded, "You're not the first one who's done it."
Is that a new thing? I've never called the chamber "the head".

Regarding the bolded, what kind of gun will unintentionally discharge a round after being taken apart? Or is it he meant he was in the process of taking it apart (and possibly pulled a trigger) as part of that process?

Even so, if he hadn't violated the rule regarding keeping the barrel pointed in a safe direction if he pulled the trigger, he wouldn't have had an injury. :(
I even keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction when chambering a round also, because I've seen a few rare instances of a defective firearm unintentionally discharging when a round is chambered, and the trigger was not touched in any way. (with one of them going full auto as well)
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Guy tells 911 operator that he is an idiot for neg disch

Post by schmieg »

And always point it in a safe direction when decocking. I just don't trust decockers that much.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
ohiodff

Post by ohiodff »

I am of the mind that the vast majority of "I was cleaning my gun" is code for "I was being a dumbass with a loaded weapon".
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

His comments seemed very casual and measured for being in the beginnings of shock. No sense in not owning up to it I guess.

As a side note is it required by Ohio law to report a ND with an injury? What would have happened if he simply went to the hospital, and told the doctor. Sure, the doctor / staff would contact the campus security LEO, but, wouldn't that suffice if in fact a ORC did exist to notify?
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I keep it pointed in a safe direction at all times.

I have had a rifle (Savage semi-auot .22) go off while clearing a jam. My nephew had a failure to extract and he started to point it around. I took hold of it keeping it pointed down range. Then I put it on safe, dropped the magazine and cycled the action. The round went off. I looked at him and said, " and that is why you never point it at anything you are not will to destroy".
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.