Dayton man found not guilty in self defense shooting

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Dayton man found not guilty in self defense shooting

Post by M-Quigley »

Interesting facts about the case and how castle doctrine applied. He was not in his own apartment. I couldn't find in the story whether the woman shot was shot accidentally but it sounds like it.

https://www.whio.com/news/local/defenda ... =cb_widget" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jenkins lawyer, Dennis Lieberman, pointed out that a small section of the Castle Doctrine applies to people who are invited guests.

“I’ve been practicing law for 41 years and you don’t often use self-defense because if you miss just one of the elements, if you could have retreated, if you use excess force, if you’re the one that started the fight, any of those can impact self-defense.”

Lieberman says self-defense is complicated and not an easy defense to use because there are three different subsections of the law. In this case, Jenkins was protected by it.
Since the defender was allegedly hiding in a closet before he was attacked, I doubt he was able to retreat anyway, castle doctrine or not.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Dayton man found not guilty in self defense shooting

Post by WY_Not »

With all the stupidity emanating from Dayton at the moment, I'm quite surprised he was found not guilty. Then I got to the last paragraph and they are still going to charge him with having a weapon under disability.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

WY_Not wrote:With all the stupidity emanating from Dayton at the moment, I'm quite surprised he was found not guilty. Then I got to the last paragraph and they are still going to charge him with having a weapon under disability.
In his case it's an easy charge for the prosecution, but the sentence is nowhere near the same.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yep. Just kinda sick that they have to take their pound of flesh for a guy just defending what is his.
M-Quigley wrote:
WY_Not wrote:With all the stupidity emanating from Dayton at the moment, I'm quite surprised he was found not guilty. Then I got to the last paragraph and they are still going to charge him with having a weapon under disability.
In his case it's an easy charge for the prosecution, but the sentence is nowhere near the same.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Interesting in previous articles linked the arrest affidavit claimed the following:
“Byrd went straight to the bedroom,” investigators wrote in an affidavit filed in Dayton Municipal Court. “When he opened the door, Jenkins shot him multiple times and then shot Daniels when she would not stop screaming.”
but from the article on the trial acquittal contained the following:
During the trial, the facts showed the man who stormed in was the woman’s ex-boyfriend.

Jenkins was at the apartment of Haley Daniels, hiding in the closet while she answered the door, when Daniels’ ex-boyfriend, Teejay Byrd, arrived to retrieve shoes for work.

Byrd went straight to the bedroom and knocked Jenkins to the floor while attacking him before Jenkins fired two shots to protect himself.

The shots hit Byrd and Daniels who suffered critical injuries but survived and recovered.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.