Clerk uses firearm to thwart thief, loses job

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Clerk uses firearm to thwart thief, loses job

Post by sodbuster95 »

Hatchet-wielding thief backs down when store clerk pulls out gun - but firearm costs employee his job
Oregon authorities are seeking a would-be thief who was armed with a hatchet when he tried to rob a convenience store, only to flee when the clerk drew a gun and called 911.

However, the clerk's quick thinking cost him his job, with the president of Plaid Pantry in Oak Grove explaining to local station KOIN-TV that the chain has a zero-tolerance policy for weapons.

He said employees are trained to de-escalate robbery situations to avoid injury, according to the station.
Obviously, the thief was just trying to obey the rules and used a hatchet to try to rob the place because of the zero-tolerance for firearms.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Clerk uses firearm to thwart thief, loses job

Post by Mr. Glock »

It said zero tolerance for “weapons”. Maybe the thief misread that part and thought a hatchet was ok?
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

On a different take, I’d bet dollars to doughnuts that by corporate policy unarmed employee corporate insurance is much cheaper than armed employee insurance. A maimed or killed employee has worker’s comp, corporate medical etc to pay for injury, while the thief who is maimed or killed will at least file some sort of lawsuit themselves or by family. The risk factor on armed employee costs far outweigh the risk factor of unarmed employees.

Follow the money folks. You know the Plaid Pantry CEO isn’t working the late night counter in a bad part of town with just de-escalation training.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Although you would hard put to convince the corporate lawyers to make an exception for Ohio.
Due to ORC - 2307.60 Civil action for damages for criminal act a person, their heirs, or representatives of their estate CAN NOT sue for damages if killed or injured during the performance of a criminal act on their part.

See:Lawriter - ORC - 2307.60 Civil action for damages for criminal act.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

AlanM wrote:Although you would hard put to convince the corporate lawyers to make an exception for Ohio.
Due to ORC - 2307.60 Civil action for damages for criminal act a person, their heirs, or representatives of their estate CAN NOT sue for damages if killed or injured during the performance of a criminal act on their part.

See:Lawriter - ORC - 2307.60 Civil action for damages for criminal act.
Yes, in a perfect world. But there are so many lawyers out there that if one smells money to be made he will go for it.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Mr. Glock wrote:On a different take, I’d bet dollars to doughnuts that by corporate policy unarmed employee corporate insurance is much cheaper than armed employee insurance. A maimed or killed employee has worker’s comp, corporate medical etc to pay for injury, while the thief who is maimed or killed will at least file some sort of lawsuit themselves or by family. The risk factor on armed employee costs far outweigh the risk factor of unarmed employees.

Follow the money folks. You know the Plaid Pantry CEO isn’t working the late night counter in a bad part of town with just de-escalation training.
I tend to agree. I ran lost prevention for many years at a retail store. One year I lost all my people because they were LEO who could carry legally. The company came down with a policy of no guns because of "liability for the company".
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

If you let yourself get murdered like those women in that Tinley Park, IL Lane Bryant, you certainly don't have to worry about getting fired...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

deanimator wrote:If you let yourself get murdered like those women in that Tinley Park, IL Lane Bryant, you certainly don't have to worry about getting fired...
That's reassuring.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

According to a report by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, an avg of 157 retail clerks were killed each year from 2003-2008. From 1980 to 2018 an average of 85 LEOs were killed by criminals. While I respect the job that police do and the dangers, when they cite this as an excuse for a bad shoot and how they don't get paid enough I think of clerks. For these morons who are CEOs to insist their clerk be unarmed, they should have to personally work their worst stores.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

An annual average of 157 retail clerks vs 85 LEOs?
I wonder how that works out per capita?
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

Your employer doesn't care about you as much as they care about insurance rates and negative press. Screw with their business by defending your life and you are gone. Next!

Reality bites sometimes.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Try telling that to Kayla Chapman of Kelso, Wash., Gurpeet Singh of Downey, Calif., or Helena Stiglets of Norfolk, Va. All three were murdered this year by armed robbers at the convenience stores they worked at. Singh, according to NBC Los Angeles, and Stiglets, according to WAVY, were killed within the past three weeks of this writing. The murder of Chapman, according to The Columbian, occurred in January.

These were three recent instances I found searching Google for less than three minutes.

This is why some people who work in such places choose to legally arm themselves. After all, you can’t count on a robber not having murderous intentions regardless of whether he or she gets a payday out of it.

But saving your life might just put you out of a job.

SNIP

Follis told reporters that he knew he was getting fired the second he drew his pistol, but feared for his life.
Not to rehash the whole commercial property rights debate that has previously been waged...BUT...the civil government was established to protect and ensure our enjoyment of our Natural Rights (RKBA being one).
2. The people create their governments primarily to serve one supreme purpose: to "secure" the safety and enjoyment of their God-given, unalienable rights. To make and keep them secure is government's primary function and chief reason for existence, according to the philosophy proclaimed in the Declaration of Independence.
Firing a person for exercising a Natural Right at the workplace, is odious, particularly when that exercise is in self-defense.

I reassert that no employee should be punished for exercising their Natural Rights. While I uphold the Natural Rights of the employer, cultural assimilation is important. (The employer should assimilate to the American society.) In a just society, this employer would be punished for firing this employee. That is a proper use a of the civil magistrate's power.

For the record, I do not assert a Natural Right to employment, income, access to a building or anything of the sort. I assert a Natural Right to self-ownership, and the employment contract can not / does not nullify this inalienable Right.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798