Knee jerk reaction to tragedy ignores the harsh reality.

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Tesser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Knee jerk reaction to tragedy ignores the harsh reality.

Post by Tesser »

https://www.libertynation.com/new-zeala ... ver-learn/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is one bit of good news for those who believe in the right to bear arms – approximately 1.2 million people in New Zealand own a gun. That’s about one firearm for every four people. Let’s hope these gun-owners will not be led to the slaughter like their four-hoofed friends; let’s hope they resist all efforts of the do-gooder class to take away their firearms.

Step aside because the anti-firearm show is about to begin, even though the left already loves to point out that, “New Zealand generally has very low levels of gun violence — likely due, in part, to its restrictions on firearms.” Perhaps it’s actually because of a projected population density of only 18.4 people per kilometer by 2020. Fact is, there are about seven times more sheep than people in New Zealand. Might that have something to do with the low homicide rate?
Liberty is the soul's right to breathe, and when it cannot take a long breath, laws are girdled too tight.

HENRY WARD BEECHER, Proverbs from Plymouth Pulpit
Bruenor

Re: Knee jerk reaction to tragedy ignores the harsh reality.

Post by Bruenor »

Could be quite a fight for them, considering Prime Minister Arderns' comments.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/17/worl ... oting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr. Parker (New Zealand's Attorney General) told Radio New Zealand that had been trying to reflect Ms. Ardern’s comments that “we need to ban some semiautomatics, perhaps all of them.

“Those decisions have yet to be taken, but the prime minister has signaled that we are going to look at that issue,” Mr. Parker told the broadcaster.

Licensed New Zealand gun owners pushed back. The Kiwi Gun Blog, a gun-rights online publication, said that one of the assailant’s goals was “to cause the gun rights of responsible New Zealanders to be attacked.” It said “our prime minister is now capitulating with him.”

Under New Zealand law, anyone 16 or older may seek a firearms license, and anyone 18 or older who has applied for a firearms license can seek a permit to possess a military-style semiautomatic weapon.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

The ironic thing is one of the possible reasons the number of dead and injured was so high was because of NZ's current gun control laws, at least in regards to self defense and concealed carry. Sure you can own a gun in NZ, but don't you dare carry it so that you can defend yourself in a public place. The only reason the casuality count was lower at the second mosque was because one man decided to confront the shooter, holding a ATM machine for cover. (it worked) Unfortunitely he wasn't allowed to have his own gun but he picked up one dropped by the shooter. He attempted to shoot the murderer but the gun was empty so he threw it javelin style at the car window, shattering it. The murderer, being the coward that he is, allegedly fled at that point.

Maybe this Sheriff's Deputy in Florida, who also is a Muslim, should go over there and show them how it should be done.

https://youtu.be/3VxfueG4hBc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

If anyone has seen the video i think one of the shooters guns was a full auto, Anyone agree. :?:
Black Rifles Matter
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

As a longtime gun owner and supporter of the Second Amendment, I agreed with the Supreme Court’s “Heller” holding that concluded Americans had the right to keep and bear arms. But that constitutional protection did not, and will not, extend to guns designed as weapons of war.

— Joe Scarborough (@JoeNBC) March 18, 2019

Almost every gun we use was developed as a weapon of war. As well as almost all communication equipment, nautical technology, most cold weather gear, and all our nonperishable foods. https://t.co/lm2EJf97oZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

— Johnny (Joey) Jones (@Johnny_Joey) March 18, 2019

That list included “communication equipment, nautical technology, most cold weather gear, and all our nonperishable foods.”

Jones also could have mentioned duct tape, drones, weather radar, digital cameras, penicillin, synthetic rubber, Jeeps, superglue, epi-pens, sanitary napkins, night vision goggles, aviator sunglasses and the space program — among other things — but Twitter is limited to 280 characters.
Ardern said she "applauded" people who handed in weapons and encouraged more to do so. Some gun owners took to social media to share stories of giving up their semiautomatic rifles. John Hart, a farmer and Green Party member from the Wairarapa, said on Twitter he had owned a gun for 31 years.

"On the farm they are a useful tool in some circumstances, but my convenience doesn’t outweigh the risk of misuse," Hart tweeted. "We don’t need these in our country."
NZ/Hart is getting wild amounts of media attention while attacks on Christians are blacked out.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

steves 50de wrote:If anyone has seen the video i think one of the shooters guns was a full auto, Anyone agree. :?:
No
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

steves 50de wrote:If anyone has seen the video i think one of the shooters guns was a full auto, Anyone agree. :?:
I haven't seen the full video, only the beginning of where he got out of a car and started shooting. You couldn't see from that snippet of firing who he was shooting at. I have experience in both the semi auto AR and the full auto M-16, as probably do many others here on this forum. To me it appeared that he was rapidly pulling the trigger on a semi auto, just trying to spray rounds into a particular concentrated area.

IMHO It would've been a perfect opportunity for someone not directly in front of those bullets to take careful aim and hit him somewhere on his body, had someone there been armed. Heck, he was allegedly scared off at the 2nd mosque when someone threw one of his empty rifles through a window of his car. Imagine how scared off he would've been at the first mosque had someone put bullets or shotgun pellets in his face, neck, torso, or legs when he first started shooting.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Not to be a ghoul, but I have twelve or thirteen minutes of it if anybody wants.
PM me your email.
Classic what NOT to do in a situation
And no, I don't think I heard automatic fire, but some of the semi auto was pretty darn fast
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Chuck wrote:Not to be a ghoul, but I have twelve or thirteen minutes of it if anybody wants.
PM me your email.
And no, I don't think I heard automatic fire, but some of the semi auto was pretty darn fast
Maybe an upgraded trigger. :?
Black Rifles Matter
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Chuck wrote:Not to be a ghoul, but I have twelve or thirteen minutes of it if anybody wants.
PM me your email.
Almost as fast as you shot that PMR 30 :lol:
Black Rifles Matter
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

On the massacre of Christians being committed worldwide, this is something I have pointed out for years as being ignored.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

New Zealand Prime Minister seems to be running a dictatorship. On Tuesday she declares all semis are illegal starting Thursday.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/new-zeala ... r-massacre
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

New Zealand Prime Minister seems to be running a dictatorship. On Tuesday she declares all semis are illegal starting Thursday.
Well, there are ALWAYS exceptions. I strictly am guessing here, here goes...

For her.
For her security detail.
Other various importantee's , donor$, politikal connect-eds.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

PM me your email.
I don't think if someone is viewing it for educational purposes to be able to better survive that type of situation it's no different than watching the surveillance videos on Active Self Protection on Youtube. Regardless of the motives of a particular active shooter, certain characteristics usually remain the same. Sadly some people who really need to learn or accept some basic facts about surviving or stopping an active shooter situation aren't usually on here. They don't want to learn, because that would first require a basic change of mindset. :(
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

kcclark wrote:New Zealand Prime Minister seems to be running a dictatorship. On Tuesday she declares all semis are illegal starting Thursday.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/new-zeala ... r-massacre
I guess this could be New Zealand Prime Minister's "Executive Order" like the US president has. Gun right activists would have to sue her in court to stop it if they have that option.