HOWTO: Spell check your posts as you write them with Firefox

See this forum for the rules that govern users engaging in discussions on this website. Includes links to the Ohioans For Concealed Carry privacy policy.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Stryker74, JediSkipdogg, Jake, evan price, djmac1964, Derek D., Bryan Torok, schmieg, sabalo, oldmic, OldManTod, NavyChief, MrMagoo, Morne, MeanStreaker, jgarvas, JustaShooter, 3FULLMAGS+1, Coordinators

jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

HOWTO: Spell check your posts as you write them with Firefox

Post by jgarvas »

Quite a few people on our forums find themselves challenged by spelling words correctly. This afternoon I noticed something and felt that it was worthy of making a sticky post here.

If you use a browser other than Firefox or the Mozilla suite I would like to encourage you to download a free copy of Firefox 2.0

The latest version of Firefox offers a feature that is long over due. In the boxes where you type on a website, such as the one for posting a message, Firefox 2.0 does on-the-fly spell checking.

Just like you might be used to seeing in other applications your misspelled words will be underlined in red. If you right click on the word a suggested replacement is offered and substituted if you click on it.

This type of spell checking is superior to anything we could build into the forums since it allows you to fix mistakes on the fly before you even submit your posts. If you don't have a copy of Firefox, check it out, most people don't go back to Internet Explorer.

This thread won't be locked because I am sure there are many Firefox fans who will want to chime in on some of the better add-ons to Firefox.
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
jabeatty

Re: HOWTO: Spell check your posts as you write them with Fir

Post by jabeatty »

jgarvas wrote:This thread won't be locked because I am sure there are many Firefox fans who will want to chime in on some of the better add-ons to Firefox.
Nah, nobody uses Firefox here... without these add-ons, at least:

Adblock Plus

Adblock Filterset.G Updater

Download Statusbar

Duplicate Tab

Print/Print Preview

Reload Every
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
sbc350gearhead

Post by sbc350gearhead »

Hoos spellin ar yu tawkin abowt?
ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ScottyPotty »

Google has a small tool bar that you can download with the same type spell check features. Very easy to use and does wonders for my posts..... 8)
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader. Samuel Adams
tjeffries

Post by tjeffries »

Easy for you geeks to say, but I been using IE since the first version, the one you had to crank by hand :shock:

What happens to IE if I download Firefox?
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive?"-- Alexander Solzhenitzyn, Gulag Archipelago

To paraphrase George Santayana, those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

http://www.barefootsworld.net/tripwire.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Jim-in-Toledo »

tjeffries wrote:Easy for you geeks to say, but I been using IE since the first version, the one you had to crank by hand :shock:

What happens to IE if I download Firefox?
Nothing, IE doesn't get touched.

Although you CAN import your favorites, passwords, cookies etc, into Firefox from IE.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
I am the expert on my opinion.
And no one else's.
MySQLQuery

Post by MySQLQuery »

jgarvas wrote:Quite a few people on our forums find themselves challenged by spelling words correctly.
HEH!

I can spell however I want tol.... :)
Last edited by MySQLQuery on Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where's the best place to apply for your CHL?
Find out at http://ccwhen.com!
The world is cold, but, bold men take action.
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

you can also download the Google toolbar for IE
http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/toolbar/index.html

Google also has a browser sync for FireFox.
This is pretty cool. If you use more then one, PC your bookmarks will be available to you on any PC you use.
http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/bro ... index.html
oldmic
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by oldmic »

I don't think I really need a spell chucker. 8)

(But I'll download 2.0 anyway - I'm a big Firefox fan)
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

jgarvas wrote: This thread won't be locked because I am sure there are many Firefox fans
Yup, I'm a Firefox fan. I've got the DVD's and even bought the Serenity movie...

Shiny!
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
clubchucker

Post by clubchucker »

I absolutely LOVE Firefox. Wouldn't think of using anything else. Highly, highly recommended.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

I like and use Firefox for several reasons. A multi-tasker like me loves the multiple tabs. BETTER popup control (I remember when it was ultimate).

The weird thing I like about it is how it manages plugins. If I tell IE no, I don't want my browser to know how to interpret Flash and surprise me with banner ads that have unwelcomed audio, it keeps asking me. Instead, Firfox leaves a placeholder there that I can click on if I want to install Flash support, but will leave me alone if I don't.
"Moderation in the defense of liberty is no virtue." - Ann Coulter
"Liberalism is part of a religious disorder that demands a belief that life is controllable." - Ann Coulter
By their fruits ye shall know them.
MySQLQuery

Post by MySQLQuery »

dan_sayers wrote:I like and use Firefox for several reasons. A multi-tasker like me loves the multiple tabs. BETTER popup control (I remember when it was ultimate).
Just to let you know, IE7 has tabs, and, IMO, has a better pop-up management system now....

And, it's faster.... :)
Where's the best place to apply for your CHL?
Find out at http://ccwhen.com!
The world is cold, but, bold men take action.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

As silly as it might sound, it's the plugin notification that is a deal breaker for me.
"Moderation in the defense of liberty is no virtue." - Ann Coulter
"Liberalism is part of a religious disorder that demands a belief that life is controllable." - Ann Coulter
By their fruits ye shall know them.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Andrew Jackson (IIRC) once said it was a mighty narrow-minded man could only think o' one way to spell a word...
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.