Hello from Columbus

Ohioans For Concealed Carry seeks to be a welcoming and friendly community of gun owners. If you've just created your account or just became a member online please take a moment to introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bluemon

Hello from Columbus

Post by bluemon »

Joined this site to learn more about the law. Just got my first gun. Enjoy going to the range. Love night fishing but felt the need to protect myself in the event that something goes south. Hopefully it never does and the only shooting I do will be at the range. That being said I've have a number of classes after my CCW to better prepare myself mentally.

I did see that I'm not a member of Ohio For Concealed Carry yet. I'll look over it more when I have time this weekend. It isn't that I don't want to join. I'm just nervous about putting in my name and address.

A few things about me. I love fishing. I keep my gun locked up at home but with quick access if needed. Tried leaving it in the car unloaded and I swear every noise sent me flying to the window to look for someone breaking in. Left it unloaded because despite taking a CCW class I still didn't feel confident at all when using it. A few more classes later and I've calmed down a lot. Brought a safe that it now sits in. But you know..I still haven't loaded it outside of a range. Sorry if that makes me seem silly. I'm going to load a clip today I put it beside the gun. As of right now it isn't going to do me any good in event of a break in.

I would have enjoyed a little more experience from my CCW class. I nervously shot a few large targets and answered a bunch of questions. With that, I passed my test. At least we were told to keep practicing. I'm much better off now than I use to be. I use to flinch.. and then the hot brass would come flying at my face nearly every time. I did find out how to correct this with dry fire practice.

My largest issue currently is those who are closets to me can't stand firearms. So many awful stories on TV about what a "responsible" gun owner allows to happen has put a bad image in their heads. It's going to be uphill battle if I'm ever going to be able to change any minds.

Other than that, 2 issues I have with Ohio gun laws:

1) Duty to notify. I don't see the point of this. I had to pass a lot of background checks and take a class for this right. I''ll compile of course but it gives me the creeps. My gf's reminds me that I'm African American and with all the recent news of cops killing blacks doesn't sit easily with her. That being said.. I find it hard to take in what I see on the media as the truth. The events I personally witnessed have never been anything like reported.

2) Not to sound like a jerk here but the many ways we can be barred from owning a firearm. I have a friend who has never hurt anyone but do to an argument with his former wife he may not be allowed to own a firearm. I could see if this friend did something serious but he didn't. They've been separated for years.

I've typed in more than I thought I was going to. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Hello from Columbus

Post by Chuck »

Hello and welcome!
I'm in the area
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

Welcome!
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
AmendII71

Post by AmendII71 »

Hello and welcome from three counties south. I believe I can speak for allot of us on here by saying that "notification" must go. Seems to be a way of just working entrapment. Allot of people have advised to keep a digital recorder on your visor "just in case". I do this. Hope I never have to take it to court. Good grief.
"Better to have it and not need it, than need it, and not have it."
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Welcome to OFCC from the Akron/Canton area!
bluemon wrote:1) Duty to notify. I don't see the point of this. I had to pass a lot of background checks and take a class for this right. I''ll compile of course but it gives me the creeps.
Couldn't agree more (although technically, our license grants a privilege, not a right. In Ohio, the right is to carry openly, but that is another subject entirely). Notification needs to go away, period.
bluemon wrote:2) Not to sound like a jerk here but the many ways we can be barred from owning a firearm. I have a friend who has never hurt anyone but do to an argument with his former wife he may not be allowed to own a firearm. I could see if this friend did something serious but he didn't. They've been separated for years.
Your beef is actually with Federal law, as this issue has at its roots a Federal firearms prohibition - Google "Lautenberg amendment" - and yes, it is a problem, along with the ever lengthening list of crimes considered Felonies.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Welcome to OFCC!
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Tourist »

Welcome to the forum.
roughsawn

Post by roughsawn »

Welcome from another member in Columbus!
Working on a Sig line. So far, I have a P250, a 938, and an Ultra!

http://myreloadingbench.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Welcome to the forum!

Let me know if you would like to meet up for lunch or coffee some time for a 'get to know your gun' session.

No charge and I'll even buy the coffee.

Ask around. ME picking up the tab for ANYTHING is kind of a big deal. :mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Welcome. As you note that it's your first handgun -- I don't think it's silly or even odd that it feels uncomfortable to have it loaded outside of the range. Well, let me be a bit more clear, I should say that it is understandable that you might feel that way. I will add that your goal should be working toward making that your past and that simply takes time and familiarity.

I had been owning handguns and shooting (avidly!) for TWENTY YEARS before I got a license to carry. And in my earliest days of carry (2008), I also didn't feel comfortable with a chambered round in a handgun carried on my person. Familiarity and hands-on experience fixes these things. (Carrying a handgun without a chambered round is comparable to carrying a spare tire with no air in it, or a jack in the trunk with no jack handle)

If you have the time and interest, you can get lost in a wealth of information here:
http://www.corneredcat.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The author of that site is a very accomplished shooter, trainer and writer. She has written some of the most succict material I have ever read on some of the tough OTHER angles of gun ownership and carry -- like how to work with other folks in your life who don't know guns, are scared or skeptical or have prejudices against them.

That she continues to publish all the material on that site free for the taking is testament to her dedication to what she does and what she believes in.

If you seek, read & digest in a manner at the level at which you candidly post, you may find a pure gold mine at her site.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Welcome!
fisher

Post by fisher »

Welcome. Go Bucks!
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bluemon

Post by bluemon »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Welcome to the forum!

Let me know if you would like to meet up for lunch or coffee some time for a 'get to know your gun' session.

No charge and I'll even buy the coffee.

Ask around. ME picking up the tab for ANYTHING is kind of a big deal. :mrgreen:
Don't surprised if I take you up on that offer. Meals are cheap. Gun lessons are really setting me back and I'm wondering if it is worth it to keep paying for them.

Also planning to checkout the link Sevens left for me.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

I'll add my somewhat tardy welcome to you as well.

I second the advise to read the "Cornered Cat".
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.