Greetings from the Columbus area

Ohioans For Concealed Carry seeks to be a welcoming and friendly community of gun owners. If you've just created your account or just became a member online please take a moment to introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Thawmytongue

Greetings from the Columbus area

Post by Thawmytongue »

Matt here,

I recently moved back to Ohio after living in Baltimore, MD for 12 years. After years of trying to exercise my 2nd Amendment in MD with hoops to jump through, background checks, banned firearm lists, handgun purchasing licenses, waiting periods, ban-able feature lists and new laws being passed year after year regardless of any efforts, it is a breath of fresh air to live in a comparably "free" state. I now have a constant companion on my hip and a smile on my face.

I am excited about the upcoming effective date for new legislation here in Ohio and will probably be picking up a larger than standard capacity magazine or three to celebrate. I am interested in all manner of firearms, new or old, but have been focusing on ARs lately. This is mainly because of new laws effecting semi-auto rifles in MD in recent years and me trying to get a few projects in under the wire. My 13.7"-pinned-to-16" AR project is my current favorite. Though I anticipate acquiring a few more handguns this year as the wife and I are looking to expand our carry options.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and am now going to go lurking around the forum pending this post being approved.

:mrgreen:
-Matt

"Carry often, apply sparingly."
Sneakypete
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Greetings from the Columbus area

Post by Sneakypete »

Welcome to OFCC, & to the Buckeye state. :!:
Duty, Honor, Country.
These three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be.
-Gen Douglas MacArthur

You have never lived until you have almost died.
For those who have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Greetings for the SW section of Ohio. Having spent time studying gun laws in places like Maryland and several other such states, I cannot imagine the scenario in which i would willingly relocate to any of them!
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Tourist »

Welcome to the forum.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Hello and welcome, also from the Columbus area.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Welcome to the Columbus area and to the OFCC forums!

There are a number of us in the central Ohio area that hang out on here, as well as the local gun show.

Hit us up if you have any questions about where to shoot - we know all the good (and bad) places to go!
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

From the Charm City to the Capitol City. Welcome to this forum. When you get a chance, please visit the Black Wing Shooting Center, in Delaware, Ohio.
Thawmytongue

Post by Thawmytongue »

Thank you all for the welcomes!

Brian D. wrote:Greetings for the SW section of Ohio. Having spent time studying gun laws in places like Maryland and several other such states, I cannot imagine the scenario in which i would willingly relocate to any of them!
My scenario involved chasing a skirt :wink: ... To whom I am now married and have had two lovely children with. And the fact I was not yet exercising my rights, nor aware of politics in any real way. Now I'm a firearm-toting, politician calling, grassroots movement supporting, "gun nut" and proud of it.

Stryker74 wrote:Welcome to the Columbus area and to the OFCC forums!

There are a number of us in the central Ohio area that hang out on here, as well as the local gun show.

Hit us up if you have any questions about where to shoot - we know all the good (and bad) places to go!
I'm open to any and all suggestions. The wife and I are itching for some range time and she needs to wring out the AR she built last year as well as find a place which has a Sig P238 to rent as she wants to fondle one.. I usually like to go to places which allow pistol and rifle. Having just moved here over Christmas and starting a new job, I haven't had the time to really look into many places. I currently live in Dublin and may be in Lewis Center soon. What are the places I should avoid? Also, what are some good gun stores in town? I can't stand buying firearms from the box stores. I would rather develop a relationship with a mom and pop shop and my current go to guy is 420 miles away. :mrgreen:
Tweed Ring wrote:From the Charm City to the Capitol City. Welcome to this forum. When you get a chance, please visit the Black Wing Shooting Center, in Delaware, Ohio.
I actually just called them last week to confirm they allow 223/556. The gentleman on the phone laughed and said they allow anything but the "big boys" as they will lift the ceiling tiles. We might have to check them out this next weekend.
-Matt

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Welcome Matt!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Thawmytongue wrote:
Stryker74 wrote:Welcome to the Columbus area and to the OFCC forums!

I'm open to any and all suggestions. The wife and I are itching for some range time and she needs to wring out the AR she built last year as well as find a place which has a Sig P238 to rent as she wants to fondle one.. I usually like to go to places which allow pistol and rifle. Having just moved here over Christmas and starting a new job, I haven't had the time to really look into many places. I currently live in Dublin and may be in Lewis Center soon. What are the places I should avoid? Also, what are some good gun stores in town? I can't stand buying firearms from the box stores. I would rather develop a relationship with a mom and pop shop and my current go to guy is 420 miles away. :mrgreen:
Tweed Ring wrote:From the Charm City to the Capitol City. Welcome to this forum. When you get a chance, please visit the Black Wing Shooting Center, in Delaware, Ohio.
I actually just called them last week to confirm they allow 223/556. The gentleman on the phone laughed and said they allow anything but the "big boys" as they will lift the ceiling tiles. We might have to check them out this next weekend.
I second Black Wing - they have a good indoor range, and a decent rental counter as well. They are probably the closest to your Dublin location. I used to be a member up there, but it was quite a drive for me - and I ended up barely using the facilities.

I joined Pickaway County Sportsmen this month, and it is much closer - half the time and distance. First trip down there, I had the steel range all to myself for quite a while.
Aaron

NRA Range Safety Officer

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

Welcome!
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

The Wing is the antithesis of a mom-and-pop store. There is such a venue, Norton Gun Store, near the corner of Rt. 23 & Rt. 229. I also like the selection at Gun Envy, in Columbus, Ohio.
Thawmytongue

Post by Thawmytongue »

Tweed Ring wrote:The Wing is the antithesis of a mom-and-pop store. There is such a venue, Norton Gun Store, near the corner of Rt. 23 & Rt. 229. I also like the selection at Gun Envy, in Columbus, Ohio.
Thank you for the distinction. When I say "mom and pop" I don't necessarily mean a sole proprietorship. More like any store which isn't part of the big chains. Don't get me wrong, I will window shop all day long at the chain stores, but I will buy from the guy who just might remember my first name after the first interaction and after the third or four might just contact ME when something which he thinks might tickle my fancy comes into his shop. I don't want the cheapest price, I want the most value for my cost. :mrgreen:
-Matt

Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Thawmytongue wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:The Wing is the antithesis of a mom-and-pop store. There is such a venue, Norton Gun Store, near the corner of Rt. 23 & Rt. 229. I also like the selection at Gun Envy, in Columbus, Ohio.
Thank you for the distinction. When I say "mom and pop" I don't necessarily mean a sole proprietorship. More like any store which isn't part of the big chains. Don't get me wrong, I will window shop all day long at the chain stores, but I will buy from the guy who just might remember my first name after the first interaction and after the third or four might just contact ME when something which he thinks might tickle my fancy comes into his shop. I don't want the cheapest price, I want the most value for my cost. :mrgreen:
Bingo! That makes all the difference in the world. You are more than a transaction to the guy that makes his living based on his store being profitable.

BTW, there is a gun shop formerly in the Powell area of Columbus that is now in the West Jefferson area - Powder Room Firearms. They no longer have range facilities like they did in Powell, but they have a great selection of firearms and accessories. And I guarantee they recognize people that come in a few times - I have seen it for myself.

The Powder Room is a scenic drive from Dublin, through historic Plain City - about 20 minutes from the western part of Dublin. Worth the drive!

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Powder Room Firearms (other than they take my finances from me periodically!), but consider those guys to be personal friends of mine. Good guys that are very knowledgeable - and they will not be condescending in the least. They carry (or can get) most things you might want - except Hipoint. They will not stock or order Hipoint firearms at all. :shock: :lol:

Not to leave out the guys at GunEnvy either - they are a great group at that store as well. If you are looking for anything special in terms of mill work or engraving on a gun - that is THE place to get it done. They also do finishing on guns, like with Cerakote. They are a Class III dealer was well - so you can get your NFA items through them, in addition to non-NFA firearms!

Again - no financial interest in GunEnvy at all. Just good guys that I again consider to be friends. I have seen their work, and GunEnvy has worked with OFCC numerous times in the past to donate items and time - stand up guys that know their stuff!
Aaron

NRA Range Safety Officer

Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

WELCOME!

Another place to consider is LEPD range near the Bethel Centre in Columbus. Their facilities are new and they are convenient for me as an indoor range and the pricing for using the range is decent. There's rarely any waiting or lines either, which is not something I can say about Black Wing (although they are one of my favorites near Columbus as well).

I haven't bought a whole lot at the store as some of the prices aren't always competitive but the people are always very friendly and helpful and it does have a warm atmosphere as people are usually willing to chat, both customers and employees.

I've also had some minor gun smithing done by Ronnie Bianco who works under the name "Boom Boom Tactical" in their back room. His work is excellent and I am very pleased with the results.