Hello from Georgia.

Ohioans For Concealed Carry seeks to be a welcoming and friendly community of gun owners. If you've just created your account or just became a member online please take a moment to introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rcsob657

Hello from Georgia.

Post by rcsob657 »

Hello folks, I currently live in Georgia but there is a possibility I will move to Ohio within a year so I wanted to check on what the political climate was like up there. I belong to GeorgiaCarry.org (you may have heard of it), and the ability to defend myself is important to my health.
BobK

Re: Hello from Georgia.

Post by BobK »

Welcome!
rcsob657 wrote:... the ability to defend myself is important to my health.
I think you'll find a lot of like-minded people here.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Welcome! You came to the right place to get a feel for Ohio gun rights pol-i-ticks.(Close kin of dog ticks and wood ticks.) We're just some grass roots folks doing our best without compensation, working through a Statehouse that expends more energy playing political games than actually doing their jobs. Read some of the threads in the political sections and see what I mean.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
rcsob657

Post by rcsob657 »

Thanks. I will try to take a look. First thing's first, with the recent mid-term elections I was hoping to find a couple maps with Ohio's breakdown of district results for your US Congress and your state legislature. I am failing in that task, anyone able to point me in the right direction? Do you have any members in your state's legislation? Is your legislation controlled by the Democrats?

Second, while it is now technically legal (as far as code section goes) to carry on campus down here; it will be litigated and the results are hard to predict. Both our Gov and his lackies seem to think what he signs into law doesn't count if he wants it another way. I am 30, and am just now finishing up my degree and moving on to bigger things. While I personally believe in Constitutional carry, the reality of life intercedes.

Campus Carry is important me because If I do go to Ohio next year it will be up in Ada for 3 years, and then maybe elsewhere in Ohio for the foreseeable future. It appears to me Ohio is not likely to pass a campus carry act any time soon. Do any of you live up in that area and/or can give me a rundown of public sentiment in general? It also seems as though that school has banned the possession of any weapon (even with your permit) on campus grounds, which is against your state's preemption law.
BobK

Post by BobK »

The Ohio legislature and all state-wide offices are firmly controlled by (R)'s.

The big city cesspools -- Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, etc. -- are all controlled by (D)'s.

There are campus carry advocates working that issue, but I do not anticipate much headway in that battle in the short term future.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Welcome to OFCC!

I used to spend a pretty significant amount of time in Georgia. I prefer Georgia (weather is much nicer) but...I guess Ohio is home. :wink:

Here's a link to some maps you may be interested in:

http://www.sos.state.oh.us/elections/ca ... 0Maps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
rcsob657

Post by rcsob657 »

Thanks, that does help. Anyone you know on this board from Ada area or can tell me anything about the school there? (regular campus or law school either is fine)
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Ohio is a state in which the Republican controlled General Assembly has managed, through creative gerrymandering, to limit the number of seats held by Democrats, both in the congressional delegation, and both houses of our state legislature. We have 16 congressional districts, and Republicans currently hold 12 of those seats.

In our General Assembly, at present, we have 33 state senate seats, and Republicans control 23 of these offices. We have 99 state representatives, and Republicans control 60 of these seats. Republicans truly romped in the recent mid-term elections; Republicans held all four (4) constitutional offices, governor, etc. and will pick up seats in the Ohio House.

The OFCC Forums are a good place to keep track of the gun rights politics in Ohio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_General_Assembly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BobK

Post by BobK »

rcsob657,

If you live in Ada, that is Hardin County.

That is Ohio House District 83. Robert Cole Sprague (R) won the current election with roughly 75% of the vote and the remaining 25% were Libertarian and Independent candidates.

It is also Ohio Senate District 01. Cliff Hite (R) won that election unopposed with 100% of the vote.

I think it is safe to say that is a conservative area in general, although Ohio Northern University (like virtually every university) is probably a liberal enclave surrounded by farms and conservatives.

Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Also, Hardin County Sheriff Everhart is a good guy.
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

I live in Hardin County & what you've read is true. Hardin County is basically a Republican County. Not certain what ONU's policy is concerning student carry but likely prohibits it. Ada may well be the most liberal city in the county but only because of the college .

There's several Conservation /Sportsman's Clubs in the area as well. McGuffey Sportsman's Club just finished their new backstop for the pistol range. https://www.facebook.com/pages/McGuffey ... 2761735745

From October thru May there's a decent gun show at the Allen County Fairgrounds in Lima. Usually 4 big rooms every month.
http://www.tristategunshow.org/
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

Welcome!
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Tourist »

Welcome to the forum.
rcsob657

Post by rcsob657 »

thanks again, I'm going to go ahead and post in other sections. The delay should stop soon.
rcsob657

Post by rcsob657 »

Alright, well I just got done with visiting the campus and signed a lease for an apartment while up there. I'll be coming back in August.