New from Grove City

Ohioans For Concealed Carry seeks to be a welcoming and friendly community of gun owners. If you've just created your account or just became a member online please take a moment to introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Daves92gt

New from Grove City

Post by Daves92gt »

I've lurked on these boards for a while here and there and finally decided to join since I applied for my license.

I'm from Grove City and took my class about a year ago and kept procrastinating on applying for my license. When I found the carry piece I wanted at a great price (Springfield XD9 subcompact) it gave me the push to apply for my license.

I applied in Madison County this past Monday. After the issues I've heard about Franklin county from here and from friends I decided to just go straight there. They were friendly and professional, told me it would be about 2-3 weeks. Anyone know if their turnaround time is pretty accurate?
Springfield XD-9 subcompact
Sig1144

Re: New from Grove City

Post by Sig1144 »

I got mine in Madison as well. I think two or three weeks is about right if I'm remberering correctly. I did not encounter any issues with Madison.

Welcome to the boards.
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Tourist »

Welcome to the forum.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Welcome to the forums!
Daves92gt wrote:... After the issues I've heard about Franklin county from here and from friends ...
What kind of "issues" are you talking about? The only negatives I've ever heard about Franklin County Sheriff's concealed carry process were people not liking to park downtown at the meters on Fulton St and the need to make an appointment.

However, the main positive about Franklin County is the quick 24 hour license issuance. If you had applied Monday, you would typically have your license on Tuesday.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Sig1144

Post by Sig1144 »

BobK wrote:Welcome to the forums!
Daves92gt wrote:... After the issues I've heard about Franklin county from here and from friends ...
What kind of "issues" are you talking about? The only negatives I've ever heard about Franklin County Sheriff's concealed carry process were people not liking to park downtown at the meters on Fulton St and the need to make an appointment.

However, the main positive about Franklin County is the quick 24 hour license issuance. If you had applied Monday, you would typically have your license on Tuesday.

I had trouble getting Franklin or Delaware county. Delaware never answered their phone or returned my calls after numerous messages. I'm trying to remember why Franklin was an issue. I think because their available appointments were months out, or maybe I had trouble reaching someone there too. I honestly can't remember, but I couldn't get into Franklin either.

I seriously tried both, but ended up driving to London to take the gamble there because they don't require an appointment. I ended up waiting in line for about an hour both times - to apply and to pick up. And, of course, the drive time.
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

Welcome!
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Hello and welcome.
Back in 2010, I also went with Madison county for the non-appointment reasonsing. Just more convenient for me at the time.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Welcome to the forums!

I originally went to Madison county in 2004 - but there was a different political climate around the CHL back then.

My last two renewals have been in Franklin county. The biggest "issue" with Franklin county is making sure you set up your appointment in plenty of time. Last year at my renewal, the appointment lead time was about 2 months.

However, I had my renewal license the next day. From drop off of application to call that I could pick it up - less than 24 hours.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daves92gt

Post by Daves92gt »

Thanks For The welcome.

I guess issues was the wrong word. 1st hand the only I have experienced is the delay in getting an appointment. When I called I was given the earliest date of August 19.

Other than that a few people have told me they are not the nicest when you go in, but of course that is subjective.

In the end the time to get in there was my determining factor. Even if I have to wait 3 weeks that still beats out Franklin county by a long shot.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Daves92gt wrote: When I called I was given the earliest date of August 19.
Wow, except for the insanity immediately after the CT shooting, that is the longest backlog I've ever heard of for FCSO. Demand for CHL's must really be hopping in Columbus! Good news.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Daves92gt wrote:Thanks For The welcome.

I guess issues was the wrong word. 1st hand the only I have experienced is the delay in getting an appointment. When I called I was given the earliest date of August 19.

Other than that a few people have told me they are not the nicest when you go in, but of course that is subjective.

In the end the time to get in there was my determining factor. Even if I have to wait 3 weeks that still beats out Franklin county by a long shot.
Yeah - last year was about 6-8 months for the appointment for my renewal. However, they were hopping busy - so I think the delay is genuine. They have 2-3 people taking applications and pictures - at least every time I have been in there.

With about 1 million population in the Columbus metro area, I can see where FCSO might just be staying busy.

As far as being nice, I agree that is very subjective. The times I have been there, they have always been pleasant to me. (And trust me, as many can attest - it is NOT due to my boyish good looks!) Sometimes, people just have a bad day and it shows. I would guess that was maybe the case in the stories you heard.

In any case - glad to see you got the application turned in and are on the path to getting your CHL!
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daves92gt

Post by Daves92gt »

Just to update the wait time I got the call Friday (6/13) that my license is ready. So wait time was a little under 2 weeks (I applied 6/2).

Of course I got the call at 2:57pm and it's a 35 minute drive from my house they're only open until 3:30pm... haha. I'm going Monday to pick it up. I'm just glad it's ready I can handle not being able to carry until then.