First carry arm

Ohioans For Concealed Carry seeks to be a welcoming and friendly community of gun owners. If you've just created your account or just became a member online please take a moment to introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bigcofnc93

First carry arm

Post by bigcofnc93 »

Hello. This is my first post. A little background about myself. I am not currently old enough to purchase a handgun and do not have my ccw yet. I work in the field of private security and upon turning 21 will try to take on armed contracts. I am currently in an OPOTA private security training course. When I complete I will be eligible to obtain my ccw and carry as a guard. I am trying to get an idea of what my first hand gun purchase will be. I am thinking something along the lines of a glock 19, in terms of striker fired safe action. I need something cancelable reliable and can double for service use. Hopefully I will never have to use if I do I want to know it will work. Sorry if this is long winded. All help is greatly appreciated.
Keep your powder dry.
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: First carry arm

Post by Tourist »

Welcome to the forum.

When you are able to (of age or with a responsible adult), try to rent and try various handguns until you find the one you like. I would also point out that some employers require a certain brand and type handgun, so that may affect your choice.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Welcome to the forums!

Your OPOTA training for security probably got most of the aspects of the required training for CHL - but there are some that probably were not covered. I doubt the CHL laws from the AG pamphlet were discussed - that alone would probably negate you being able to use your current training.

Also, there are other aspects (like was the class open to the public, or did your employer sent you to it?) that could affect your ability to use it for CHL.

I would suggest a separate CHL class should you decide to get your CHL. It is 12 hours - many trainers are doing this in a single day or are at least flexible to fit your schedule.

I see no issue with carrying your duty weapon, so long as your employer does not object. From a concealment standpoint, most duty weapons are standard 4-5" barrels - many find that more difficult to conceal. I am a fan of dress around the gun - I was recently asked by a friend (who is an NRA instructor) if I was even armed. My reply was to lift my Hawaiian shirt and show him my 4.25" 1911 in its holster.

So as to be equal opportunity, once your are of legal age to possess a handgun - you can open carry. It is a constitutional right in Ohio. Certain areas typically present no problems/questions - Columbus area is generally pretty good. CPD officers will generally ignore your sidearm - and if they do anything, they may just come by (at a distance) to make sure you are not waving it around. Keep it holstered, and have a conversation with the officers - we talk to CPD often during open carry events in Columbus. The average beat cop in Columbus is pro-gun, and will have a good conversation with you.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Generally speaking, it is awfully tough to simply "pick" a handgun from the market without any trigger time behind one and it's just as tough for us to suggest one over another for the same reasons. However, your early choice of a Glock 19 is actually a very, very good one, because if you buy one, you'll have advantages already built in that you may or may not find with other choices.

Such as:
--Glock's blue label program that allows you to purchase a Glock with an extra magazine from the regular commercial packaging at a reduced price with your OPOTA certification. Note that I don't know the details of this program, you may NOT be eligible until you have completed your training, but if you do align yourself with the Glock platform and you find yourself enjoying these pistols, that blue label program will serve you fairly well over time

--Glock has a reputation for standing firmly behind their handguns if you should have any manner of a problem, and this may not sound like a big deal until the day comes when you -DO- have a problem with a handgun and you need it rectified

--because of it's wild popularity, it may be the easiest handgun to find holsters for. If someone makes holsters, you can bet a Glock 19 is one of the pistols they make a holster for. Likewise, parts are widely available for repair or customization, and magazines are plentiful and (in comparison), low in cost. You could easily argue that the Glock 19 is the most popular single model currently in all of handgunning

--a Glock 19 -may- be the world's easiest handgun to sell if you should decide that after owning & using, it simply isn't what you truly want. They are extremely popular and people are constantly looking for one. Make any argument about gun brand _____ or model _____, and chances are it may be popular or much-loved, but it won't be as simple & easy to sell later if you wish to go another direction as is the Glock 19. (specifically the 19, the size & chambering that is likely FAR more popular than any other Glock in the catalog)

None of these are reasons why anyone should own or employ a Glock 19 over any other choice, but all of these are fine reasons why blindly choosing a Glock 19 for a duty/carry handgun gives you a lot of built-in options that include outfitting and even getting rid of one if you find it wasn't your best choice.

Welcome to the forums. Please include a location in your profile so folks who read your posts have an idea of where you are coming from geographically.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
bigcofnc93

Post by bigcofnc93 »

To Stryker. The 20 hours of firearms training is apart of an open enrollment course. It is basically a ccw course with extra
Training to survive an altercation.
Keep your powder dry.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Hello and welcome. Congrats on ur trainging/ choice in line of work. When the time comes, carry often and be diligent in safe handling of your firearm.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

Welcome!
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
bigcofnc93

Post by bigcofnc93 »

Thankyou all for welcoming to the forum.
Keep your powder dry.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Welcome to ofcc
Black Rifles Matter
Alaska_Paratrooper

Post by Alaska_Paratrooper »

I have just about every caliber of pistol, but my preference is a compact 9mm. Ruger's SR9c being my favorite. 17 round magazine. Crimson trace. I also keep an LCR 38 special for when I'm doing something very physical, running, or biking. Virtually weightless and can be worn with shorts and t shirt. I call it my "golf gun" since it doesn't impede with the swing.
bigcofnc93

Post by bigcofnc93 »

for anyone who is interested I have finished the firearm training portion of my course. I was supplied with a glock 17 and I have to say I really liked the firearm. I vary much want to try a glock 19 now.
Keep your powder dry.
bigcofnc93

Post by bigcofnc93 »

Stryker74 wrote:Welcome to the forums!

Your OPOTA training for security probably got most of the aspects of the required training for CHL - but there are some that probably were not covered. I doubt the CHL laws from the AG pamphlet were discussed - that alone would probably negate you being able to use your current training.

Also, there are other aspects (like was the class open to the public, or did your employer sent you to it?) that could affect your ability to use it for CHL.

I would suggest a separate CHL class should you decide to get your CHL. It is 12 hours - many trainers are doing this in a single day or are at least flexible to fit your schedule.

I see no issue with carrying your duty weapon, so long as your employer does not object. From a concealment standpoint, most duty weapons are standard 4-5" barrels - many find that more difficult to conceal. I am a fan of dress around the gun - I was recently asked by a friend (who is an NRA instructor) if I was even armed. My reply was to lift my Hawaiian shirt and show him my 4.25" 1911 in its holster.

So as to be equal opportunity, once your are of legal age to possess a handgun - you can open carry. It is a constitutional right in Ohio. Certain areas typically present no problems/questions - Columbus area is generally pretty good. CPD officers will generally ignore your sidearm - and if they do anything, they may just come by (at a distance) to make sure you are not waving it around. Keep it holstered, and have a conversation with the officers - we talk to CPD often during open carry events in Columbus. The average beat cop in Columbus is pro-gun, and will have a good conversation with you.
I am waiting for the instructor to wright my letter.
Keep your powder dry.
srings

Post by srings »

Howdy from Dayton...good to have you in the house!
S&W Shield 9
S&W FS 9
S&W 686-6 5" Talo Edition
NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member