Hello from Cleveland!

Ohioans For Concealed Carry seeks to be a welcoming and friendly community of gun owners. If you've just created your account or just became a member online please take a moment to introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

anomaly

Hello from Cleveland!

Post by anomaly »

Hi everyone! In an attempt to make this more coherent, I'm reworking some templates I've seen elsewhere. If it makes it easier for other people, great, if not, that's fine too.

1. Name/Where you're from/Location

Tom, grew up in Westlake, living in the University Circle area right now

2. What is your profession?

I'm currently a grad student in Computer Science -- I also do some consulting for local school districts in my spare time.

3. Approximate/actual age if you dare.

4. Do you have your CCW? If so, when did you get it/how long did it take/what county did you apply in/who'd you take it from/any other such comments?

Just got it today (April 13th)! I applied for it on March 27th in Cuyahoga County. Took it from the ConcealedCarryCourses.com guys and liked it.

5. How did you get started shooting, where do you shoot?

My dad starting taking me to the range when I was 9 or so -- always at West Branch out in grafton. Nowadays, I mostly shoot at Stonewall or Sherwin since they are the closest (I think).

6. Any hobbies you want to mention?

I'm a computer geek, so that fills most of my hobby time, be it switching between a bunch of putty sessions or gaming. I am also into martial arts, primarily traditional (not sport) taekwondo, but have also done some Kali and a little bit of some other things.

7. How'd you find OFCC?

I like to follow the latest firearms-related legal developments and ran across it at that time; I think I found it through an NRAILA.org post if I remember correctly.

8. If you have carry gear, what is it / any discussion thereof?

I got an M&P9 (full size) with the DCAEK trigger kit (highly recommend) and a raven concealment IWB holster specifically for CCW. Obviously I've been carrying for a few hours, but the setup seems comfortable to me. The holster is the MD-cut (no builtin cant), but with you can position the beltloops to give it a cant. I noticed that in the basic configuration with no cant, the gun did print somewhat noticeably, but adding just a little bit of a cant made it disappear.

9. Any other gear you want to talk about or just brag about your guns?

I've got a SA TRP Operator and love it. I've also put a fair bit of work into my AR15 build, but sadly don't get to shoot it as much as I want, my location isn't conducive to a lot of rifle shooting. I have some other things, including an RPK which is just a fun gun.

10. Are you an NRA member? An OFCC member?

I'm an NRA benefactor life member, but not an OFCC member yet. That'll be happening really soon, if I don't have it next to my name in the next few weeks, you have my permission to harass me!

11. Have you taken any formal training outside of a CCW class? E.g. more advanced weapons handling classes/.mil training/whatever/any comments there?

Nope, but I'd definitely like to at some point!

12. Anything that doesn't fall into the above category? Funny stories?

Hmmm. I've been dating the same girl for about 5-6 years now (engaged now). When we first started dating, she hated the mere idea of guns. Then, she was ok with them as long as they were locked up and she didn't have to deal with them. Then, she went to the range and started to like it. Then, she was ok with having a gun available for self defense. Then, she was ok with concealed carry, but scared of the concept of me carrying near her. Now she's gotten over the fear of the gun as an object and quite likes going to the range, and is comfortable with me carrying, but still rolls her eyes because she doesn't understand the desire/still thinks it's silly. Oh well, she's come a long way and I'm still working on her!

That's about all I've got; I'm usually not this verbose but this seems like a good group of people and just wanted to get acquainted.

Cheers!

Tom

P.S., Powers That Be--If there were any way we could get Tapatalk on this forum for easier mobile browsing, that would be sweet.
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Hello from Cleveland!

Post by Tourist »

Welcome to the forum.
jose45

Post by jose45 »

Hello Tom and welcome from Geauga.Like your intro format,great info.Got a nice odnr outdoor range out my way.Just get on 480/422 east. Probably 45min. from ya.Cheap place to shoot.Let me know if ya want more info.
"Lord, make me fast and accurate.Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine.Let not my last thought be "If I only had my gun"
And Lord,if today is truly the day that you call me home.Let Me Die In A Pile of Hot Empty Brass.- Patriots Prayer- III% NRA,OFCC
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

Welcome!
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

anomaly wrote:.....

P.S., Powers That Be--If there were any way we could get Tapatalk on this forum for easier mobile browsing, that would be sweet.
Tapatalk is available for free for phpBB3 forum software if anyone with any administrative power is interested.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

Welcome Tom, and congrats on your new CHL. Thanks to OFCC's lawsuit against Cleveland your AR build is no longer contraband within city limits. So, is a Walmart walk at Severance on the agenda? Enjoy your newfound freedom. It's good to carry in your neck of the woods.

ETA: You may want to opt for the Mayfield Walmart. They sell ammo whereas Severance does not.
Last edited by muxtech on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The British are going! The British are going!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Dang, I don't know whether to reply to what you've written or sit down and take the short-answer test myself! :P

Welcome to our little corner. You seem like a fine addition to our group.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
razzle

Post by razzle »

welcome
All that is needed for evil to flourish is good people to do nothing.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Welcome to OFCC!
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Welcome to OFCC, from a fellow Clevelander! :)

It's really a great community here - friendly and knowledgeable folks.

I love the M&P platform, although I'm partial to the XDms (for whatever reason of "personal fit," I just shoot it better than I do the M&P, which I consider, ironically, to be the "sexier" gun :) - I think my XDms are ugly!), I've shot the M&P multiple times, and with the DCAEK, it's no comparison, the M&Ps' trigger takes it, hands-down.

On the topic of training, I'm also very much a beginner - I've recently completed Ron Lauinger's (LMI/Integrated Street Combatives) "Fighting Pistol 1" course, and am going back for more (already signed-up for his low-light class, but I'll be seeking more on top of that, too), and would highly recommend his services. While I don't think I'll be able to take any multiple-day, away, classes (i.e. TDI, Magpul, Front Site, etc.) due to childcare/work, I will still be looking at and going to some of the single-day courses around here (Three Tango, Suarez, etc.).

See you around! :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

GREETINGS!!!
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Welcome!! Fellow eastsider here (Euclid).
C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

Welcome from another fellow Cleveland resident (I live in Old Brooklyn). Glad you liked Kim's class. I went with him two years ago because he could get me in the fastest and was very happy! Have stayed in touch and am sometimes out at his range days, usually when he needs new pictures. Unfortunately in the last year or so I've gotten involved in IDPA and he usually has his range day the same day as the club match at Youngstown Rifle & Pistol.

If you're free this Saturday, stop down at Stonewall for the BASS match. It's a lot of fun and you get to meet a whole bunch of good people to include their gunsmith (he's only there on Saturdays these days). I'll be there and most likely shooting a Kimber Tactical Pro in .45. Sunday I'll either be in Wauseon to start my IDPA season or at Tusco for 100 yard steel plate. I'd invite you to try out IDPA at North Olmsted Sportsman's Club but we're shooting the classifier this month. More fun come May (Friday's at 7:00).

Hope to see you.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
EChryst

Post by EChryst »

Hey Highspeed!

Welcome!

I was actually in your neighborhood today, my sister-in-law wanted some more pictures taken of her fiance and her, and I tagged along with my wife who took the pictures. It was hella windy, and we went from Severance down around the pond/lake in front of the Art Museum. We discovered a REALLY WIERD Muscovy Duck down there.

Anyways, this is a great community with a ton of us in and around you. How do you like your TRP? I love mine.
-Erik