Hello fellow Ohioans

Ohioans For Concealed Carry seeks to be a welcoming and friendly community of gun owners. If you've just created your account or just became a member online please take a moment to introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Starbie

Hello fellow Ohioans

Post by Starbie »

Hello, My name is Starbie and I own a gun and want to know if I am allowed to drive with my boyfriend to the grocery store with it? I don't go in because I am disabled so I lock the doors to feel safer but while I sit there I worry about someone with a gun coming up to my window. I would feel better with my gun with me.

Anyhow hello everyone.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Hello fellow Ohioans

Post by JustaShooter »

Welcome to the forums!

I'm guessing you don't have a Concealed Handgun License (CHL) since you didn't mention one and aren't sure if you can carry in the car.

So, yes, as long as you are legally able to possess the handgun and don't have any issues in your background that would keep you from getting a CHL (like violent misdemeanors, etc.) then you can have the handgun in the car with you when you go shopping, etc.

Even though it's not required, I'd recommend finding a good instructor and taking the class. If you get a good instructor, the class covers a lot of questions you might have, and covers the laws regarding carrying a firearm legally.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Starbie

Post by Starbie »

Thank you for your reply I will definitely have to do that. :wink:
Starbie

Post by Starbie »

So your saying that the law hasn't changed? I am so glad that I ran into this forum. 8)
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Starbie wrote:So your saying that the law hasn't changed? I am so glad that I ran into this forum. 8)
The law has absolutely changed recently. It has been legal to sit in your car with a handgun for many years now, but only with a state issue Ohio License to Carry a Concealed Handgun. However early this summer, the law changed where if you QUALIFY for the license, you are not actually required to get it and you get to enjoy the same benefits.

If you have an Ohio CHL, you have been legal to sit in a car with a loaded handgun for many years. Without the license, that was NOT legal... until the summer of 2022, and now it is. (assuming that you are 21 or over and have no disqualifiers)
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Maybe I should also add here that if a police officer approaches your vehicle, you should have no hands on that firearm.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Mark79

Post by Mark79 »

Hello guys..