Railroad spike knives and other goodies!

Commercial sales are permitted in this forum IF they are products or services directly related to the firearms community and all rules posted within are followed.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Tweed Ring

Re: Railroad spike knives and other goodies!

Post by Tweed Ring »

A question for those who made this purchase. How long did it take from the time you sent your payment to the day you recived your item?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I don't know exactly but it was 3-4 weeks for the knives (my wife ordered 3, not sure when she ordered them). I ordered 3 sheaths not quite two weeks ago (screw up on my part lol) that haven't yet arrived.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Thanks for the feedback.
LSglock89

Post by LSglock89 »

I ordered a knife on the 6th and had it on the 21st.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

These would make excellent skinning knives. Best knife I ever used during my stint at the meat packing plant was a carbon steel blade similar shape to one of these.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
LSglock89

Post by LSglock89 »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:These would make excellent skinning knives. Best knife I ever used during my stint at the meat packing plant was a carbon steel blade similar shape to one of these.
I got it more as a novelty item for my father for Christmas. He is a retired railroader...35 years in before medical reasons forced him out. He would have made it 40 otherwise.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

A CAVEAT: I ordered a knife and a sheath from this vendor, cost approximately $90.00. Sent a personal check on or about November 27, 2013. On December 26, 2013, I received a PM from the vendor, thanking me for my patience in this matter, that there was an issue obtaining the sheath, and "...the items would mail in a few days."

My bank advises my check was cashed on December 31, 2013. I did send a follow up inquiry/PM on January 15, but have never received a reply. To date, I have not received the items which I ordered and for which I paid. I did not stay on top of this matter as I was dealing with a severe illness, and finally a death in the family. My fault.

Therefore, I would caution anyone who intends to deal with this vendor: Caveat Emptor. Let the buyer beware.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I have been in contact with this vendor and have more information.

As you may recall we bought three knives but through a series if errors on our part we didn't order sheaths at the same time and placed a separate order 2 weeks later for the sheaths. The knives arrived in about 3 weeks as I recall, but after a similar amount of time we still hadn't seen the sheaths. After a bit more waiting I inquired of the vendor and he said he had not been able to contact the person who makes the heaths for him since before Christmas but was still trying. I gave it a bit more time, and received the same response on my second inquiry, with an offer to refund the price of the sheaths. I advised him to keep trying, and we'd see how it went.

Earlier this week I picked up a holster from a local craftsman and asked if he could make the sheaths for me, and he agreed. I have since requested a refund for the original sheath order, and according to Etsy (the marketplace through which the order was placed) the refund is in progress and should post to my credit card any day. The vendor advised me he has still not been able to contact the sheath maker. I offered contact information for the craftsman I'm having make mine, and he accepted and asked for pictures when the sheaths are complete.

For anyone interested, the local craftsman I'm having make mine is Brian Bays, Bays Leather. PM me for contact information. I'll post pictures of the sheaths when completed.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Vendor contacted me today.
cooks128

Post by cooks128 »

The original post states the knives are 35.00 each, both websites are showing 65.00. I'm assuming price has gone up?
http://www.soviet-steel.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a crap about the rules? Mark it zero!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

cooks128 wrote:The original post states the knives are 35.00 each, both websites are showing 65.00. I'm assuming price has gone up?
I paid $35 each for just the knives, so if the website is showing $65 now he must have increased the price. Frankly, I thought $35 was a very good deal for a knife like that. Also, perhaps he has found a way to add an inexpensive sheath to the deal - that would certainly explain the increase.
NRA Life Member

Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

Those railroad spike knives are pretty sweet!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Picked up the sheaths today, so took about a week. I can't say if that is typical or if he made a special effort to get them done since he knew I'd been waiting a long time for the ones that never came and that I'd pass his info along to anyone who needed sheaths for these knives. He will make them for the same price we were quoted from the knife guy, $45 + $5 shipping. He gave me options for the leather color and seemed willing to entertain customizations so I wouldn't hesitate to ask if you'd like anything in particular done with yours.

Again, his name is Brian Bays, Bays Leather, and I'll be happy to pass along contact info to anyone who needs it.

Anyway, a couple of pics:
NRA Life Member

techgebhardt

Post by techgebhardt »

cooks128 wrote:The original post states the knives are 35.00 each, both websites are showing 65.00. I'm assuming price has gone up?
That sucks. I was going to buy one at $35, but I guess I was too slow.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

Fight organized crime: Re-elect no one..
Adelphos

Post by Adelphos »

Hi guys. Thank you once again for looking at my knives. I have raised the prices of my knives for a couple of reasons. First being the cost of materials has gone up since last year ( as everything always seems to) And secondly the quality of craftsmanship has gone up since I started selling these. I thank all of you who have looked at my shop and those who have also purchased. I will have new knives coming in March that are completely different . Basically along the lines of this picture. Different styles will be offered.

http://s1154.photobucket.com/user/oroch ... sort=3&o=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sorry image size was too big to post.
Wants: 1892 44/40
They can hate me so long as they fear me.

For the Horde!
Lok Tar Ogar!