Wenonah Sundowner 18 canoe

All other items can be listed here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

muxtech

Wenonah Sundowner 18 canoe

Post by muxtech »

For sale, 18 ft Wenonah Sundowner canoe purchased new in 96. Near mint condition.
This canoe is constructed of a fiberglass weave intended to be almost as light and strong as the kevlar boats at a fraction of the price. It has an ash carry yoke and can be portaged by a single person. It is spec'd @ 68 lbs. It has bucket seats and the front seat can be adjusted to trim the canoe flat in the water. As canoes go, this design is a "motorhome", yet has decent speed. If you want a casual canoe for all purpose paddling, there are designs that do that purpose better. If you want to load a tent, two packs, a cooler, a friend, and lawn chairs etc, you can easily drive the load across the center of a lake with confidence. This canoe gains stability as the load gets bigger. Unloaded it is very stable as well, but does require nominal attention to posture. If you want to canoe camp without going the rental-outfitter route, this is a good deal. It sold for 1K. I'm asking six hundred, and have some accessories I'd throw in at that price. I can send more detailed photos via email. Thanks for looking.
muxtech

ImageImage
Last edited by muxtech on Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The British are going! The British are going!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Wenonah Sundowner 18 canoe

Post by Mr. Glock »

Hey..it even comes with a 1 hp (human-power) motor. Wait....I'm a little suspicious...how much fuel does that motor need? :shock:
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

Mr. Glock wrote:how much fuel does that motor need? :shock:
A happy meal is still cheaper than a fill up! :D
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Nice looking boat. How did you keep it so scratch free after all these years? I bought my Royalex Spirit II in 97 and after three Boundary Waters trips and a number of river trips, it is all scratched up.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

schmieg wrote:Nice looking boat. How did you keep it so scratch free after all these years? I bought my Royalex Spirit II in 97 and after three Boundary Waters trips and a number of river trips, it is all scratched up.
There are some scratches on the bottom. They are not very visible in that photo, but there are some. Like I said, it's near mint condition. For the last six years it's been hanging in my garage. I wanted to get out to Minnesota, but met my wife the year after I bought it so we tended more towards car camping. We used it more as a recreational canoe, and loved it. But then we started a family, blah blah blah. Boat for sale. We're contemplating a move next year, so we're looking to lighten the load. If you don't mind, it might help my case if you said what the Royalex cost you. I know they're not cheap.

Imageshack cropped my photos when I resized them. If I can get tinypic to work, I'll try to repost the photos, unchopped.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

muxtech wrote:
schmieg wrote:Nice looking boat. How did you keep it so scratch free after all these years? I bought my Royalex Spirit II in 97 and after three Boundary Waters trips and a number of river trips, it is all scratched up.
There are some scratches on the bottom. They are not very visible in that photo, but there are some. Like I said, it's near mint condition. For the last six years it's been hanging in my garage. I wanted to get out to Minnesota, but met my wife the year after I bought it so we tended more towards car camping. We used it more as a recreational canoe, and loved it. But then we started a family, blah blah blah. Boat for sale. We're contemplating a move next year, so we're looking to lighten the load. If you don't mind, it might help my case if you said what the Royalex cost you. I know they're not cheap.

Imageshack cropped my photos when I resized them. If I can get tinypic to work, I'll try to repost the photos, unchopped.
I just checked my records and I paid $1060 for the 17' Royalex Spirit II in 1997. I represented the dealer who sold it to me so he cut me a deal from the normal price. The current price for one is $1400. I added a third seat for my daughter (which I probably will remove next year) and put kevlar skid plates on the front and back. The Sundowner is an outstanding tripping canoe which has much better directional stability than the Spirit, but it is not as good in tight places such as small streams or rapids. I don't think they make it anymore though. If I got up to the BW more often than I do, I would seriously think about buying your boat, but I use mine more on the local streams, so I have to go with the compromise.

Wenonah makes a good canoe. Anyone interested in your boat should check out the Wenonah website to see what goes into making one.

http://www.wenonah.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand