QUESTION: What is going on with the PiTP speakers?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

EricTheBald

QUESTION: What is going on with the PiTP speakers?

Post by EricTheBald »

I know from long experience that getting the speakers lined up and scheduled is an ongoing challenge that often goes down to the last minute.

That being said, I have been informed that certain people are ON the list of speakers and certain people are NOT.

Rather than assume my information is correct and up to date, or otherwise start whining and complaining about a problem that doesn't actually exist; I thought I would just ask and get the REAL info from the horses mouth.

Side note:
Chuck, you probably don't recognize the screen-name, but we know each other.
I just pulled back from the forums about a decade ago and have been minimally active since then.
Also, I don't mean anything by "horse's mouth", though I reserve the right to make fun of that hat.
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
EricTheBald

Re: QUESTION: What is going on with the PiTP speakers?

Post by EricTheBald »

OK, never mind.

I don't have the full story and I'm not asking, but I DO know enough now that I don't want to get in the middle of something between two people that I know and like.

Chuck, delete this thread, leave it up, comment on it... Whatever you feel is best. I am NOT looking to stir the pot here.
-

-
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

Eric,

This deserves an answer and OFCC doesn't want anyone to believe that we're hiding anything here, because we are not.

The Joe Blystone campaign was the first candidate we ever invited to the 2021 PiTP.

In April of this year Chuck reached out to a number of candidates asking them to attend. The very first person on his list was Joe Blystone. Unlike any other ordeal we've gone through (inviting a sitting Governor is easier) this campaign kept referring Chuck to fill out a form, explain how big/profitable our event can be for their campaign, etc. If I understand correctly they wanted to be the top billed speaker if he came to anything. They refused to call or email Chuck and relegated everything to fill out this form or, eventually, they would chat in FB messenger without revealing who you were actually talking to. At one point we were asked to move our picnic to another date because they couldn't make it. Then we were told they had to come at a specific time or they can't come -- to which Chuck correctly told them we're just seeking interested speakers we don't figure out what order we're presenting each speaker until closer to the event. There are a number of reason for this, such as giving your actual keynote speaker the most flexibility. They didn't like this and after two days of back and forth Chuck got fed up and moved on with his life. In those 48 hours of back/forth challenges every other candidate we invited had confirmed or declined as smoothly as every other invited guest ever has. It is not Chuck's job to run the Blystone campaign and he had walked away from trying to get them to commit. He's a volunteer, and I don't blame him.

Two months later, Chuck published the speaker list. It included the name of one of Mr. Blystone's challengers and I personally believe they realized just how much they needed to be at our picnic they didn't seem to care about in April. The day after Chuck published the event the Blystone campaign wrote him the first email they ever wrote us asking to "reconfirm" their appearance that they had never actually confirmed. (The last comment in their FB thread with Chuck, which he ignored, asked what time Blystone would speak if he were to attend). By this time we were no longer extending them an invitation because of the way they acted throughout the invitation attempts in April. They were advised they were not on the agenda and we had moved on without them.

Within the past 2-3 days the Blystone campaign (and presumably Joe himself on his own personal FB page) posted "is any of my supporters a part of OFCC" and then edited it to add that we had dropped the ball, we were being manipulated by the Renacci campaign and Jane Timken to exclude them, and that Chuck LaRosa was a liar. This right here was the point where they sealed the deal that they were not going to be reconsidered as an invited guest to our picnic.

Over the course of the following 24-48 hours after that FB post was made their followers, who I suspect had no interest in OFCC politics prior to Joe ringing the attack dog bell, began to join OFCC's Facebook Group and/or attempt to post nasty insults and intimidation that OFCC was "in the bag" for Renacci and/or otherwise being pressured by the GOP establishment to dis-invite Joe Blystone. Nothing could be further from the truth.. If a campaign ever asks OFCC to exclude someone or they won't show up chances are we're going to make a post just like this one calling them out for that.

OFCC moved on because the campaign in question made it seem like we were of no interest to them, beneath their appearance schedule priorities, etc. They had other commitments on the day of our picnic and wanted us to move our event to align to their availability. When we wouldn't give them either an exact time to speak I believe they went radio silent for a day or so. When you're the underdog unknown candidate in a major gubernatorial race against two established candidates it doesn't make any sense to be selective and arrogant like this. If I was running that campaign I'd have said YES! and then if a conflict arose that I couldn't address I would later apologize and say I couldn't make it. They did not do that.

Subsequently, we wrote a post on FB responding to Mr. Blystone spelling out why this wasn't acceptable and that after learning they decided to call Chuck a liar and blame him for their campaign never asking us again for two straight months if they could attend, we concluded that someone of that character should not be standing behind a podium bearing OFCC's name at our picnic. The accusations of being "in the bag" or conspiring with "the establishment" to not allow them to appear were over the top and immature. Calling Chuck a liar and then expecting to speak at our picnic was amateur hour. Someone who does that to you is no longer an invited guest.

This, and this alone, is why the Blystone campaign is no longer invited to Party In The Park.
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
khufford

Post by khufford »

And there is still a post up on his website stating that he is speaking at our event and asking people to RSVP.
Some random nobody...
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

khufford wrote:And there is still a post up on his website stating that he is speaking at our event and asking people to RSVP.
Yes, as of this minute.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

jgarvas wrote: Subsequently, we wrote a post on FB responding to Mr. Blystone spelling out why this wasn't acceptable and that after learning they decided to call Chuck a liar and blame him for their campaign never asking us again for two straight months if they could attend, we concluded that someone of that character should not be standing behind a podium bearing OFCC's name at our picnic. The accusations of being "in the bag" or conspiring with "the establishment" to not allow them to appear were over the top and immature. Calling Chuck a liar and then expecting to speak at our picnic was amateur hour. Someone who does that to you is no longer an invited guest.

This, and this alone, is why the Blystone campaign is no longer invited to Party In The Park.
This is also a good reason not to want this individual in office as you cannot trust him. It may be his organization that is at fault, but he is responsible for what they do.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I will absolutely vote against him and urge others to follow suit.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

I've enjoyed his message.. Until this incident I was strongly pulling for him.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

And then there was the nonstop calling chucks phone from an anonymous number, like a dozen times in one hour, leaving messages to answer the one or call the campaign. While Chuck is at work & Can't use his phone.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

And, Joe and his team are horrible with grammar and spelling in their Facebook posts. Just horrible for a candidate.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

pirateguy191 wrote:And, Joe and his team are horrible with grammar and spelling in their Facebook posts. Just horrible for a candidate.
^That^ is a bad thing. So much of a politician's job involves a good grasp of written and spoken language. To me that's part of why so many of them are attorneys by trade. It makes me wonder if someone like Mr. Blystone could understand complicated laws and policies. Or at the least, employ top staffers with that capability.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Sevens wrote:I will absolutely vote against him and urge others to follow suit.
Our system only allows for positive votes to be cast.
I join you in desiring the ability to cast negative ballots.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Brian D. wrote: It makes me wonder if someone like Mr. Blystone could understand complicated laws and policies. Or at the least, employ top staffers with that capability.
Have you read his policies?
His one on gun rights is especially vague.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

My daughter lives near him, in fact worked part time at his store several years ago. When she got a job coaching school sports, she gave over 3 weeks notice that she was leaving, verbally and I believe email as well. They kept calling her and telling her she was still on the schedule. He is viewed as a local character in the community and is known for going off the handle. It surprises me to see his campaign where I live, 30 minutes away..
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

Jeff,

Chuck gave me the rundown over tacos last week.

Funny thing is, I had urged him several months ago to contact OFC see about the PITP, trying to explain to him just how important it was.

I had also volunteered for the campaign and it looked like I was going to be doing writing for them and then one day it just evaporated and I never heard back from them again, even after calling and texting my contact a few times.

Which is ironic because if they had actually taken me up on my offer when I made it I would have almost certainly been a contact point and he would have been on the list of speakers.

I actually met with Chuck to see if I could repair of the bridge that Joe had set on fire.

Sidenote, it was good to see Chuck again and catch up with him. It had been a few years.

So there I am, getting ready to drive over to cousins and I thought I would take a look online and see how things are developed.

And that’s when I discovered that I was no longer dealing with a bridge that had merely been set on fire. Joe had dynamited it, made several passes with an A-10, did a couple of B-52 bombing runs and then finally dropped a tactical nuke on it.

I thought, “well, I can’t fix this.“

But I headed over to Cuzn’s anyway. Because it was taco Tuesday and I was looking forward to catching up with Chuck.
-

-