Misconceptions about "Stand your ground"

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Misconceptions about "Stand your ground"

Post by Brian D. »

The ignorance and willful ignorance (aka stupidity) about the recent changes to the ORC that I hear from certain local media outlets makes me a combination of frustrated and wryly amused.

Also, I'm out and about enough to overhear some really dumb person to person conversations on the subject. It is SO tempting to butt in, however I know it's mostly time wasted.

Not sure where I was going with this thread, felt like griping a bit maybe.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Re: Misconceptions about "Stand your ground"

Post by evan price »

I've seen chuckleheads saying that Columbus police shooting the 16 year old with the knife was wrong "because Ohio is a stand your ground state! "
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I've had several conversations lately on FB where I've set people straight about SYG.
Even worse, the Columbus Dispatch reported that shifting the burden of proof from the shooter to the prosecutor was a part of that same bill, not even bothering to check their own reporting on HB 228 from two years before, when that change actually occurred.

If the media isn't going to even try to get it right, how can we expect the people to know the truth?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

I've tried to educate but lately there is so much Bs flying around I don't even know where to begin. :roll:
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote:The ignorance and willful ignorance (aka stupidity) about the recent changes to the ORC that I hear from certain local media outlets makes me a combination of frustrated and wryly amused.

Also, I'm out and about enough to overhear some really dumb person to person conversations on the subject. It is SO tempting to butt in, however I know it's mostly time wasted.

Not sure where I was going with this thread, felt like griping a bit maybe.
IMO it is time wasted, because from what I've seen regarding a few other news stories is that some so called "reporters" are NOT ignorant of the truth, they just don't care about the truth, unless it supports their agenda or pre conceived ideas. It's not a new thing either. Even way back in the eighties I asked a journalism student why he picked journalism, and his answer was something to the effect of that he wanted to affect social change. :?: That is NOT the job of a reporter.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Unrelated to SYG, but related to the misconceptions is my cousin who resides in Maine, but who spends half the year in Arizona. A couple of years ago, before Trump got illegal immigration under control, she decided to get a gun because of the crime caused by illegals in her area. I advised her that she might have problems doing that until she returned to Maine, but she said she would just go to a gun show since there were no checks there. She would not believe me when I told her differently because that's what MSNBC said. She quickly found that no one would sell her one and she just couldn't understand it. To make things worse, she's a retired attorney, but a certified liberal loon.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand