HB 89, Ending the Notification Requirement

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

HB 89, Ending the Notification Requirement

Post by Chuck »

Representative Scott Wiggam of Wooster has once again introduced a bill that will end that odious duty to notify, and once again I am seeking new stories of encounters involving abuse of this bad law.
I have everything compiled that I can find on the forum, and most of them are fairly old. Newer stories help show this isn't an old problem that went away.

I also plan to use the Harless video and perhaps even the Dan Sayers video if I can find a clean copy.

If anyone wants to help put a good presentation / testimony together with me, I'd surely appreciate it.
It's gonna pass this time; third time is the charm.
It took us eight years to get SYG, this is our fifth year on notification so far, and our third introduced bill.

Both previous bills passed the House easily, and both previous bills died in Bill Coley's Senate Government Oversight and Reform Committee.
Bill Coley was term limited out and our friend Kristina Roegner is now chairing that committee, so in my opinion our chances for passage look very good indeed, and we are earnestly asking for membership help.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Brian D.

Re: HB 89, Ending the Notification Requirement

Post by Brian D. »

I'll ask my shooting group to keep an ear out for stories. I'm to the point of believing that any police who are still "unaware" of how notification works are willfully ignorant.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Glad to hear it! As for poor experiences, I have had none but I know that I am only a couple missed words or relaxed (or nervous) moments from forgetting to notify and then I'm in serious trouble. Or my daughter is driving one of my vehicles and an LE officer intimidates a teenage girl into allowing him to search the vehicle because of the CHL attached to the license plate.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I hope you're right but I'm a pessimist. The thing about being a pessimist is if you're right you're not disappointed because you expected it, and if you're wrong you're pleasantly surprised. :)
It's ironic that on this issue Ohio is again in the minority of states. Even some terrible anti gun states don't have Ohio's version of notification if you have a CHL. Of course the problem in those states is getting the CHL but if you do get one you don't have a requirement like Ohio's. :roll:
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Chuck wrote:Representative Scott Wiggam of Wooster has once again introduced a bill that will end that odious duty to notify, and once again I am seeking new stories of encounters involving abuse of this bad law.
I have everything compiled that I can find on the forum, and most of them are fairly old. Newer stories help show this isn't an old problem that went away.

I also plan to use the Harless video and perhaps even the Dan Sayers video if I can find a clean copy.

If anyone wants to help put a good presentation / testimony together with me, I'd surely appreciate it.
It's gonna pass this time; third time is the charm.
It took us eight years to get SYG, this is our fifth year on notification so far, and our third introduced bill.

Both previous bills passed the House easily, and both previous bills died in Bill Coley's Senate Government Oversight and Reform Committee.
Bill Coley was term limited out and our friend Kristina Roegner is now chairing that committee, so in my opinion our chances for passage look very good indeed, and we are earnestly asking for membership help.
Do you know when proponent hearings are? Wiggam saw me at a Trump event and asked if I could come testify.

If all else fails, I will write a testimony.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

On Sunday he texted me "Proponent testimony week after next"
That's all I know

If you talk to him ask him to speak at the PITP August 14
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
docachna

Post by docachna »

M-Quigley wrote:I hope you're right but I'm a pessimist. The thing about being a pessimist is if you're right you're not disappointed because you expected it, and if you're wrong you're pleasantly surprised. :)...
Don't know the origin of the quote, but it's something like "One man's pessimism is another man's acknowledgement of reality."

Personally, I'd rather recognize reality (and, yes, be pleasantly surprised !!!).
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Chuck wrote:On Sunday he texted me "Proponent testimony week after next"
That's all I know

If you talk to him ask him to speak at the PITP August 14
I'll email his office for dates.

I think I will start writing because my 90-year old dad is supposed to have a medical procedure with pre-procedure testing starting soon. Scheduling may end up a nightmare. It would be more satisfying to testify in person, though.

I will mention the PITP if I am able to connect directly.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Committee hearing tomorrow
I can't make it
Ain't activism fun?

JEaton

Post by JEaton »

HB89 was voted out of committee yesterday, on to the full house now

JLE
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

AWESOME! Yes, I'm shouting! :D :D
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Javelin Man wrote:AWESOME! Yes, I'm shouting! :D :D
Settle down there Jav! Unless you can keep shouting for 21 more months.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:
Sad, but true - we often get bills through the House quickly, but then they stall in the Senate till after the next election - and then, are put through the sausage-grinder they call the legislative process so what comes out the other end looks almost, but not entirely, unlike what went in.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

JustaShooter wrote:
Brian D. wrote:
Sad, but true - we often get bills through the House quickly, but then they stall in the Senate till after the next election - and then, are put through the sausage-grinder they call the legislative process so what comes out the other end looks almost, but not entirely, unlike what went in.
Last year is seemed to be the Senate moving things guess they have to keep things fair by letting the other chamber slow things down on alternate sessions :)

JLE
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

JEaton wrote:
Last year is seemed to be the Senate moving things guess they have to keep things fair by letting the other chamber slow things down on alternate sessions :)

JLE
The Senate didn’t move anything last time until the lame duck
Except for the emergency legislation, which is fixed the previous sentence lame duck screwup
Ain't activism fun?