Ohio's 134th GA, 2021, 2022, What do we want?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Ohio's 134th GA, 2021, 2022, What do we want?

Post by Chuck »

techguy85 wrote:+1 on campus carry and +1 on removing churches and other places of worship from the statutory no-carry locations.
What's happening with Campus Carry these days?
IS BCCC still around?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Chuck wrote:
welshj wrote:Lifetime, life long, permanent, however you want to say it....
chl issue- after 1st renewal or something!

Theres a new thing last couple years on the ohio driver's license.
An "in case of emergency " contact attached to your license when ran in a database.

I've tried asking about it at the fulton county sheriff's office last renewal- all I got were blank stares.

An emergency contact number. Someone who can legally come and secure my firearm in the case of an accident or emergency where I'm headed to the hospital.... to avoid being... taken into officer custody.
OK, help me out.
Firstly, are you asking for a license that doesn't need renewed so often? Ten year, twenty year, or even lifetime licenses?
Do I under stand you correctly?

I don't believe I've heard of that on my drivers license. It sounds like a great idea.
Are you saying you want something similar on the CHL?
Do you want such a contact on your DL for your gun?
Years ago, when I first got my license, I met a guy from Indiana who had a carry license. If I remember right, it was lifetime.

That would be nice, but since I am not sure that under Biden firearm ownership and carrying will continue to be tolerated, timing may not be so great.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
welshj

Post by welshj »

Chuck wrote: OK, help me out.
Firstly, are you asking for a license that doesn't need renewed so often? Ten year, twenty year, or even lifetime licenses?
Do I under stand you correctly?

I don't believe I've heard of that on my drivers license. It sounds like a great idea.
Are you saying you want something similar on the CHL?
Do you want such a contact on your DL for your gun?
It was an idea from another thread I saw mentioned, and something I'd thought for awhile... yessir a lifetime chl to me makes perfect sense, I just didn't really know how to explain it. Lol.

My thought is after my second renewal now- why can't I get one lasting for the rest of my life?
I'm obviously a good enough citizen to have maintained my standing as such, and not had it revoked. The renewal process can be a real pain, especially now with covid.

The only reason I can think of for continual renewal- is revenue.
Unless I do something to have it revoked- there's not a time that I won't want to have it.
A life chl would save alot of man hours and work over the next hopefully- 20 or 30 years of my life.

The secondary topic- yes, something similar on the chl.

When I recently renewed my dl- the lady at the BMV asked if I'd like to have an emergency contact listed on my license. I replied that yes, I'd like that.

She handed me a one-page paper form, I filled it out listing my wife and daughter as primary and secondary contacts- to include phone numbers and home addresses.

From the way she explained it- its all in electronic data. In the system, and in the barcode/stripe on the new licenses. It all links to my dl number and any state agency can see it when my license is checked in a state system... as I understand it.

When my plates are run- it's a given that my chl pops up. We know this.
Why can't there be an emergency contact number in the chl system as well?
One that pops up when my chl is verified good.

I have several friends who hold a chl. With ohio laws being as they are- without handgun registry... there would be someone who could legally transport my weapon to my home to be secured in the case that I were incapacitated. Or my wife could be handed it to take it home.

I'm not suggesting that if I'm arrested for shooting someone they'll come get it. Obviously not happening.

But, if a semi truck runs me off the road- and I'm unconscious & pinned in my car through no fault of my own... I know I'm going nowhere but the hospital. If they can call my wife, my friend, my brother- who's listed, and can provide identification... then the firearm issue is taken out of the equation easily.

Vs. Me- being loaded into an ambulance on my way to a gun free zone... and my weapon being confiscated and secured by law enforcement, unknown to me where and when I'll get it back.

Less paperwork, less handling and possible damage or loss, and a matter of simple electronic filing. My thoughts anyways, if it makes sense?
Six months in Bosnian conflict in '98.
Two tours in Iraq '03-'04 & '05-'06
Currently deploying daily to toledo, oh! :)
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I like justashooter's list, but I don't know what is meant by this: "I believe preemption already covers those items."

Is that statement regarding carrying knives, clubs, etc...? R.C. § 9.68 clearly states that preemption only applies to firearms related laws.

Also, it would be nice if we had consistency with how firearms are transported in parking lots. I know some CHL holders who will leave their handgun at home because they do not understand all of the different rules for different parking lots.

Transporting firearms in a school parking lot (R.C. § 2923.122(D)(3)) the way you are required to in a college parking lot (R.C. § 2923.126(B)(5)) can constitute a felony. Likewise transporting firearms in a parking lot of detention facility or an institution, office building, or other place that is under the control of the department of mental health and addiction services, the department of developmental disabilities, the department of youth services, or the department of rehabilitation and correction (R.C. § 2921.36) the way you are required to in either a school or college parking lot can constitute a felony. And then there is a different set of rules for privately owned parking lots. See R.C. § 2923.1210.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Liberty wrote:I like justashooter's list, but I don't know what is meant by this: "I believe preemption already covers those items."
That was in response to Brian D's comment that we needed to revise 9.68 preemption to cover the items in my list. I believe that preemption already covers the items in my list.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
docachna

Post by docachna »

welshj wrote:

But, if a semi truck runs me off the road- and I'm unconscious & pinned in my car through no fault of my own... I know I'm going nowhere but the hospital. If they can call my wife, my friend, my brother- who's listed, and can provide identification... then the firearm issue is taken out of the equation easily.

Vs. Me- being loaded into an ambulance on my way to a gun free zone... and my weapon being confiscated and secured by law enforcement, unknown to me where and when I'll get it back.
Back in December 2017 I had the bad fortune to get into almost a headon with a box cube truck who rearended a stopped SUV then veered over into my oncoming lane. Don't even remember the crash; woke up once while they were using the Jaws Of Life, then enroute to Vanderbilt Medical Center, the only Level I Trauma Center in Nashville.

The local PD here in Mt. Juliet TN found my Walther PPS somewhere in the car and stored it in evidence. Fortunately, it emerged unscathed. I did find it a little odd that when I went to pick it up, they made me sign for the pistol, take it to the car, then come back in and sign for the ammo. Oh, well..................
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JustaShooter wrote:
Liberty wrote:I like justashooter's list, but I don't know what is meant by this: "I believe preemption already covers those items."
That was in response to Brian D's comment that we needed to revise 9.68 preemption to cover the items in my list. I believe that preemption already covers the items in my list.
Clarification, albeit tardy. I was referring to an earlier post that WhyNot made (and Javelin man also mentioned) about authorizing the carry of "less lethal" items such as pepper spray, tasers, etc. Pretty sure we'd need statewide preemption for that, otherwise we get the ol' patchwork quilt of local laws. Coincidentally, there's a Ohio House or Senate Bill proposal out there now that has the goal of ENDING statewide preemption of firearms laws. Think Cecil Thomas was the sponsor. Keep in mind he had a 25+ year career as a Cincinnati police officer. A true hypocrite, he comes up with anti-gun laws every stinking session. Pandering to his voter base.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
synack2

Post by synack2 »

I would say the decriminalization of No Gun Signs would be great
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
Clarification, albeit tardy. I was referring to an earlier post that WhyNot made (and Javelin man also mentioned) about authorizing the carry of "less lethal" items such as pepper spray, tasers, etc. Pretty sure we'd need statewide preemption for that, otherwise we get the ol' patchwork quilt of local laws.
Thanks, I misunderstood what your post was referring to.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

How about making churches the same as a business when it comes to the no guns signs?
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Indiana is going for Constitutional Carry!

Yes to eliminating GFZs. Wipe them out. All of them. Declare them antithetical to America.

(In Jesse Jackson voice :56s) What do I want?
I want the People to Rule.
I want Public Safety to be repudiated as a justification for tyranny.
I want to eliminate the Administrative State in Ohio.
I want citizens to join militias and police their local communities.
I want fair and free elections without computer data fraud.
In short, I want us to follow the Ohio and US Constitutions.

What are we going to get? A testosterone destroying Governor who insists that we cover our faces with masks of excrement and a Lt. Governor from the sticks who eagerly licks his boots. (Hello all you Montpelier folks!)
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

M-Quigley wrote:How about making churches the same as a business when it comes to the no guns signs?
That was one of my suggestions, yes - remove them from the statutory no-carry list.
NRA Life Member

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

I want Edwin Vieira at PITP if not in the Statehouse giving his masterclass to the Jackwagons that say they represent us.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Chuck wrote:
techguy85 wrote:+1 on campus carry and +1 on removing churches and other places of worship from the statutory no-carry locations.
What's happening with Campus Carry these days?
IS BCCC still around?
I don't think it is, unfortunately. The issue with a student run operation is that students move on. Since Mike is no longer in town I'm not sure how we find the next student leader to move the group forward.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

What would it take to pull that off?
bignflnut wrote:I want Edwin Vieira at PITP if not in the Statehouse giving his masterclass to the Jackwagons that say they represent us.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe