Ohio's 134th GA, 2021, 2022, What do we want?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Ohio's 134th GA, 2021, 2022, What do we want?

Post by Chuck »

And who wants to help?

Representative Scott Wiggam has already introduced HB 89, repealing notification.
This is the third time he's introduced this for us, First was HB 142 in the 132nd GA, followed by HB 425, in the 133rd GA.
Both of those passed the House, and both of those died in the Senate Government Oversight and Reform Committee, due to the Bill Coley being chairman both times. He has been term limited out, and the new chair, Kristina Roegner, voted for it when she was in the House.

The bill has evolved a little bit from the original, but the gist of it remains, no penalty for not notifying, no arrest, no crime.
They added a bit about if the officer asks you must answer, but there is no crime, no penalty, no charge, if one refuses.

What else?
Constitutional Carry, of course,
What should such a bill contain?

What else?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Ohio's 134th GA, 2021, 2022, What do we want?

Post by WhyNot »

--Since it's a Constitutional right, as other things are declared to be so i.e. abortion, health care, TV, microwave, designer jeans, free room and bored, if the citizen cannot afford a firearm, it is provided for them.
So a means test thingie 1st, but if the citizen is truly indigent (e.g. the previous mentioned items above) then a basic, no frills firearms (i.e. pump shotgun; revolver) should be provided for them, free of charge, with the associated goodies (ammo, basic trigger lock, case etc.).

--ELIMINATE the carry into a school zone thingie.

--2nd or 3rd renewal should be LIFETIME & FREE, don't call us--we'll call you if we need your permit back. A precursor to Const. Carry I guess.

--Open up to any and all usual implements of self defense, that can be concealed, to be included in a CHL. Not all inclusive and no order of importance; knife, mace/asp, collapsible baton, tonfa, nanchuka, hammer.
AND YES, the items in my signature line. DON'T LAUGH until AFTER you've attempted to retaliate against 40 peas per minute, a-comin' at ya; thinkin' yer special 'cause you dodged the FIRST water balloon :shock: hehehe

--REMOVE from CHL rules, and allow unrestricted freedom to carry LESS than LETHAL items i.e. pepper spray, taser, stungun / baton.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I'd put most of my eggs in the basket of repealing notification.

Being allowed to carry less-lethal forms of self-defense would be great too. Who could ever question someone who doesn't want to off someone?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Elimination of the statutory prohibition against carrying concealed into unsecured government facilities and other public buildings.
Removal of churches from statutory no-carry zone list.
Removal of colleges/universities from statutory no-carry zone list.
Removal of day cares from statutory no-carry zone list.
Decriminalization of no-guns signs.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

We'd want statewide preemption regarding the above mentioned items. Otherwise it's the old patchwork quilt again.

Speaking of preemption, I think there should be time constraints for local law directors and city councils to update their ordinances after the state passes new/altered laws. Enforcement "teeth" being heavy fines or (Lord, I can wish!) jail time for the non-compliant. This has been a longtime failing of many municipalities in many areas of law.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:We'd want statewide preemption regarding the above mentioned items. Otherwise it's the old patchwork quilt again.
I believe preemption already covers those items.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

JustaShooter wrote:Elimination of the statutory prohibition against carrying concealed into unsecured government facilities and other public buildings.
I second this list!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Javelin Man wrote:I'd put most of my eggs in the basket of repealing notification.

Being allowed to carry less-lethal forms of self-defense would be great too. Who could ever question someone who doesn't want to off someone?
Although I support asking for repeal of notification also, I unfortunately know how politics work and eventually in the process what might happen is some middle ground compromise, like changing how notification is done in Ohio, like requiring it only after a LEO asks for your ID. IF this compromise eventually has to be proposed, call it a "clarification" of notification, not a repeal, it sounds more politically correct. :roll:

OTOH perhaps politics has changed. It used to be that if you have a bare majority in the House and Senate it forced you to compromise, yet all I hear in the news about the Democrats federally is full speed ahead, we're going for everything we want and right now too, to hell with everybody else! If SCOTUS doesn't agree we'll change SCOTUS too. :(
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

WhyNot wrote:--Since it's a Constitutional right, as other things are declared to be so i.e. abortion, health care, TV, microwave, designer jeans, free room and bored, if the citizen cannot afford a firearm, it is provided for them.
So a means test thingie 1st, but if the citizen is truly indigent (e.g. the previous mentioned items above) then a basic, no frills firearms (i.e. pump shotgun; revolver) should be provided for them, free of charge, with the associated goodies (ammo, basic trigger lock, case etc.).

-
You're not thinking like a liberal. Things are actually IN the BOR (like freedom of speech, right of the people to keep and bear arms, etc) aren't really individual rights. Only things that AREN'T in the Constitution are rights, like health care, abortions, cell phones, housing, utilities, transportation, etc. So based on that logic you must remove the 1st and 2nd amendments and have some activist justice declare that the Constitution is a "living document" and if we want it to be a right then it is one and the government must pay for it. And another thing, if it's free it's not a right, it's only a right if the government has to pay for it. :roll:
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

Whirlwind06 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:Elimination of the statutory prohibition against carrying concealed into unsecured government facilities and other public buildings.
I second this list!
I third this!!
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

That sounds about right.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

+1 on campus carry and +1 on removing churches and other places of worship from the statutory no-carry locations.
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

techguy85 wrote:+1 on campus carry and +1 on removing churches and other places of worship from the statutory no-carry locations.

Campus carry will be very short lived... even if they remove it from the statutory list, all the universities will quickly erect no guns signs.
welshj

Post by welshj »

Lifetime, life long, permanent, however you want to say it....
chl issue- after 1st renewal or something!

Theres a new thing last couple years on the ohio driver's license.
An "in case of emergency " contact attached to your license when ran in a database.

I've tried asking about it at the fulton county sheriff's office last renewal- all I got were blank stares.

An emergency contact number. Someone who can legally come and secure my firearm in the case of an accident or emergency where I'm headed to the hospital.... to avoid being... taken into officer custody.
Six months in Bosnian conflict in '98.
Two tours in Iraq '03-'04 & '05-'06
Currently deploying daily to toledo, oh! :)
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

welshj wrote:Lifetime, life long, permanent, however you want to say it....
chl issue- after 1st renewal or something!

Theres a new thing last couple years on the ohio driver's license.
An "in case of emergency " contact attached to your license when ran in a database.

I've tried asking about it at the fulton county sheriff's office last renewal- all I got were blank stares.

An emergency contact number. Someone who can legally come and secure my firearm in the case of an accident or emergency where I'm headed to the hospital.... to avoid being... taken into officer custody.
OK, help me out.
Firstly, are you asking for a license that doesn't need renewed so often? Ten year, twenty year, or even lifetime licenses?
Do I under stand you correctly?

I don't believe I've heard of that on my drivers license. It sounds like a great idea.
Are you saying you want something similar on the CHL?
Do you want such a contact on your DL for your gun?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)