Dewine to try again with gun control legislation

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Dewine to try again with gun control legislation

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/local/demand- ... M5VMMTI7Y/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DeWine introduced a proposal in the legislature he termed “Strong Ohio” which quickly went nowhere. Rather than pass new laws restricting access to guns, lawmakers did the opposite and approved bills to loosen restrictions, including a “stand your ground” law that allows people to use deadly force anywhere and any time they feel that their lives are threatened. Supporters said it would allow law-abiding Ohioans to protect themselves.

A large portion of the DeWine “Strong Ohio” plan would have kept guns out of the hands of people who the legal system identifies as among those who should not have access to guns. They include people convicted of a crime who are under court order to not posses a gun. Another measure would have allowed greater flexibility for judges to temporarily keep a person in mental distress from their own weapons while they undergo a mental evaluation and counseling.

Now, DeWine is trying again with a proposal, not yet defined in writing, that is contained in his new two-year state budget.
https://www.whio.com/news/local/demand- ... M5VMMTI7Y/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Dewine to try again with gun control legislation

Post by Javelin Man »

Why is the governor introducing legislation? Isn't that what the legislators are for? :?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Why is the governor introducing legislation? Isn't that what the legislators are for?
Is is the function of the Gov to submit a BUDGET to the OGA . The OGA approves, disapproves, modifies etc.

Sooooo, consider this whole enchilada as an ACTIVE THREAT to your rights. And a spicy enchilada, at that!

So YES to one & all, it is time to call your Reps, Senators, and state your opinion :) .

Conversely, it is NOT TIME to repeat the FUDDery :P , ''they'll nedder do dat'', etc :? .

Otherwise, RUN THE RISK :shock: :shock: that it kinda-sorta just gets (uhumm 8) ) ...OVERL@@KED...in order to get something else in/out of the huge bloated many pages multi-BILLION$ annual budget (buuurp) bill
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Javelin Man wrote:Why is the governor introducing legislation? Isn't that what the legislators are for? :?
I can understand why any governor would be involved in budgetary issues. The key question was in the bolded part of the quote from the article. Why is he trying to sneak in gun control laws to a budget bill? Doesn't he think they can pass on their own?
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

M-Quigley wrote:
Javelin Man wrote:Why is the governor introducing legislation? Isn't that what the legislators are for? :?
I can understand why any governor would be involved in budgetary issues. The key question was in the bolded part of the quote from the article. Why is he trying to sneak in gun control laws to a budget bill? Doesn't he think they can pass on their own?
He knows they cannot pass on their own and last GA proved that.

The budget process, if it really is the vehicle, waves a lot of money in a lot of faces. That can be rather distracting. Combine that with relatively new leadership in both houses of the legislature and he might hope to slide it through.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

M-Quigley wrote: I can understand why any governor would be involved in budgetary issues. The key question was in the bolded part of the quote from the article. Why is he trying to sneak in gun control laws to a budget bill? Doesn't he think they can pass on their own?
My memory is Strickland got corporal punishment ban passed by including it in the budget because it could not pass on its own.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

My memory is Strickland got corporal punishment ban passed by including it in the budget because it could not pass on its own.
Yes that is both correct, and PARTIALLY correct. Try this, insert this...

My memory is Strickland got corporal punishment ban passed by including it in the budget and the OGA approved of it and/or allowed it to go through because it could not pass on its own.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

DeWine is using the Springfield shooting to help push his anti-gun agenda. Rep. Tim Hall is not on board.
“It is not my belief that enacting more gun restrictions would prevent individuals who already choose to break the law and obtain firearms illegally from possessing a gun,” Hall said.
https://www.journal-news.com/news/some- ... NPAPUVQBE/
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

YES ITS TRUE

The Ohio Office of Governor Covid is over, and, the Office of Acting Like a (D) Appeaser :?: is back in full session

Will there be any press releases with Dayton mayors?
Will there be any Sunday morning talk show appearances with She from the North (MI gov)?
Will there be and new tax schemes (one of the FIRST thingies done in office was, RAISE TAXES)?

......Will there be any NEW anti-2A proposals, NOT the current ones that gets brought up from time to time?

Edit: The OOoGC is over FOR NOW, until fall. And brought about LARGELY due to , OGA passing a law saying THEY were going to do it for him :P
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Just my personal view, we need to get him out in 2022. I didn't vote for him in the primary last time for all the good that did but hope someone good challenges him.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

techguy85 wrote:Just my personal view, we need to get him out in 2022. I didn't vote for him in the primary last time for all the good that did but hope someone good challenges him.
Jim Renacci has his hat in the Governor ring now. When he was running for U.S. Senate I got to meet him at a local AM talk station's "Listener Lunch" held at Capital Grill. Well, it was almost like getting to meet him. He had the chance to "work the room" of over a hundred voters but mostly jawed with his staffers at the table. Pretty dumb and/or arrogant to snub SW Ohio folks that way, he needs all the allies he can get here.

Meanwhile, Congressman Steve Chabot showed good movement and footwork like he was Mohammed Ali in the ring.

I seriously hope Renacci has upped his schmooze game.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote:
techguy85 wrote:Just my personal view, we need to get him out in 2022. I didn't vote for him in the primary last time for all the good that did but hope someone good challenges him.
Jim Renacci has his hat in the Governor ring now. When he was running for U.S. Senate I got to meet him at a local AM talk station's "Listener Lunch" held at Capital Grill. Well, it was almost like getting to meet him. He had the chance to "work the room" of over a hundred voters but mostly jawed with his staffers at the table. Pretty dumb and/or arrogant to snub SW Ohio folks that way, he needs all the allies he can get here.

Meanwhile, Congressman Steve Chabot showed good movement and footwork like he was Mohammed Ali in the ring.

I seriously hope Renacci has upped his schmooze game.
https://www.whio.com/news/state-and-reg ... EQGK6NXYA/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Renacci faced criticism for a number of past campaign finance irregularities that came to light during his losing Senate campaign. Those included failing to report more than $50,000 in donations as a registered lobbyist and improperly accounting for flights on a Cleveland strip club owner’s plane that he took during his gubernatorial run. Renacci’s campaign characterized both issues at the time as paperwork glitches.

The Ohio Democratic Party dubbed Renacci “a two-time loser,” and said his candidacy forebodes Republican divisions setting up a tough primary for DeWine.

“Jim Renacci flew across the state in a private plane owned by a strip club owner, and still has a shot in a Republican primary against Mike DeWine,” spokesperson Matt Keyes said in a statement. “The fact that Renacci is even in this race says a lot about the amount of support left for Mike DeWine in Ohio.”
Regarding the bolded, I'm surprised that I actually agree with a spokesperson for the Democratic party about anything. :roll: Still, just because he's not DeWine is not an excuse to vote for him. I don't want someone who gets the nomination and loses to an anti gun Democrat in the general election who is going to veto any good pro gun legislation that hits his desk.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Whomever voted for JD Vance AND Dewhine is the problem.

That is all.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798