SB 140 Permit concealed carry of non-weapon knives

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mal R

SB 140 Permit concealed carry of non-weapon knives

Post by Mal R »

I received an email this morning from Knife Rights about SB 140. While it isn't firearm related, I wouldn't wouldn't mind seeing this go through.
We are not yet done with 2020! Knife Rights' Director of Legislative Affairs, Todd Rathner, has spent the better part of the past two weeks in Columbus, Ohio, lobbying hard to get our Ohio Knife Law Reform Bill, SB 140, out of committee. As a result of his efforts, SB 140 was just passed out of the House Criminal Justice Committee with a bipartisan vote of 7-4.

SB140 already passed the Senate 32-1 in June of 2019. We appreciate the leadership of Chairman George Lang in moving SB 140 forward. The bill now moves to the full House for action.
Senate Bill 140 would change Ohio knife law by making two separate substantive changes:

1. Repealing the ban on manufacture and sale of "switchblade," "spring blade" and "gravity" knives;

2. Clearing up the confusion in Ohio law regarding carry of ANY knife by defining a knife, razor or cutting instrument as a "deadly weapon" or "weapon" ONLY if it is used as a weapon. This would allow carrying any knife concealed in Ohio.

Knife Rights is America's grassroots knife owners' organization; leading the fight to Rewrite Knife Law in America™ and forging a Sharper Future for all Americans™. Knife Rights efforts have resulted in 32
"Were there monkeys? Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: SB 140 Permit concealed carry of non-weapon knives

Post by WhyNot »

That's an intimate distance self preservation, DEFENSIVE weapon.

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE WHAT I USE, at arm's length?

So if I can grab a hammer instead of my Buck folder I guess the SD encounter, AT ARM'S LENGTH, will be Ok then?

Uhuh
OK
Right

Bunch of Lizards
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

If passed, will this bill have preemption? Or will cities and towns be able to still pass/enforce absurdly restrictive laws?
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WY_Not wrote:If passed, will this bill have preemption?
No. One of the significant flaws with the bill.
WY_Not wrote:Or will cities and towns be able to still pass/enforce absurdly restrictive laws?
Yes, it will change nothing with respect to onerous local ordinances.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Thanks. Figured as much but figured I'd ask. So... why waste any capital, good will, or leverage on the bill?
JustaShooter wrote:
WY_Not wrote:If passed, will this bill have preemption?
No. One of the significant flaws with the bill.
WY_Not wrote:Or will cities and towns be able to still pass/enforce absurdly restrictive laws?
Yes, it will change nothing with respect to onerous local ordinances.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Yeah, this bill carries the weight of..a polite suggestion to localities. Big fat hairy deal.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

So I see that this passed the House on the 27th of June and the Senate on the 17th of Dec. Nothing listed in the status after that. Did it need reconciled? Did it get sent to the tiny tyrant, DeSwine?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WY_Not wrote:So I see that this passed the House on the 27th of June and the Senate on the 17th of Dec. Nothing listed in the status after that. Did it need reconciled? Did it get sent to the tiny tyrant, DeSwine?
I don't think it needed reconciled, but in any case I've not seen any updates.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
valian

Post by valian »

Buckeyefireamrs stated today that SB140 did not pass... that sounded weird because many groups on the internet were stating that it had gone to the governor. What I see here : https://legiscan.com/OH/bill/SB140/2019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is that it passed the Senate on 6/27/2019 and the House of Representatives on 12/17/20 and then died in chamber telling me that the Senate and House could not agree on the final bill or something and that the House may have changed something in the bill that could not be reconciled or someone didn't want to reconcile.
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

Ok great, so I can legally carry a really deadly weapon like a H&K P30 with 18 rounds of 9mm, but not a out the front automatic opening knife like a Microtech Troodon.

Makes sense.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Glock Rock wrote:Ok great, so I can legally carry a really deadly weapon like a H&K P30 with 18 rounds of 9mm, but not a out the front automatic opening knife like a Microtech Troodon.

Makes sense.
My (in theory only, so far) criminal defense lawyer said he'd handle a case like that on my behalf for free. "So, I got that goin' for me", as Carl Spackler said in Caddyshack. This attorney is very good and seems pretty certain he could make the prosecutor think better of charging me under those conditions.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
rottman43055

Post by rottman43055 »

According to Knife Rights facebook page DeWine signed this and it takes effect April 10th.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

Good because I am on an OTF jones buying binge.
rottman43055

Post by rottman43055 »

Since the state no longer considers a knife a weapon unless used as one come tomorrow, wouldn't this mean that people with a past felony who is no longer on paper can also carry their knives now?

I have 3 or 4 friends who all live very productive lives but have had convictions over 10 years ago and one asked me about it today.

I appreciate any input. Thanks
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

rottman43055 wrote:Since the state no longer considers a knife a weapon unless used as one come tomorrow, wouldn't this mean that people with a past felony who is no longer on paper can also carry their knives now?

I have 3 or 4 friends who all live very productive lives but have had convictions over 10 years ago and one asked me about it today.

I appreciate any input. Thanks
I am not aware of any Ohio or Federal law prohibiting possession of weapons other than firearms or dangerous ordnance by felons or other prohibited persons, so I believe they can carry knives today if they are not on paper or have an additional prohibition as part of their judgment.
NRA Life Member