Ohio house speaker arrested on bribery charges

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Ohio house speaker arrested on bribery charges

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/local/us-atto ... W3QCAVYWA/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ohio House Speaker Larry Householder and four others have been arrested by federal officials, according to reports from multiple media outlets.

Also arrested Tuesday were Neil Clark, founder of Grant Street Consultants, former Ohio Republican Party chair and consultant Matthew Borges, Juan Cespedes, co-founder of The Oxley Group in Columbus, and Jeffrey Longstreth, adviser to Householder, The Cincinnati Enquirer reported.
Brian D.

Re: Ohio house speaker arrested on bribery charges

Post by Brian D. »

Not Mr. Householder's first FBI rodeo. [ Edit: I am not 100% sure about that, may be getting Householder mixed up with another state representative.]

Oh well he hasn't done much to move pro gun bills forward, in fact his tactics often included stalling them to death, seems to me. Of course he's innocent until proven guilty, but normally with money related crimes, the feds don't make arrests and start the indictment ball rolling without having a pretty solid case, most times anyhow.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
High Power

Post by High Power »

The Democrats are already licking their chops in the hopes of retaking the state. I doubt that they could accomplish a complete takeover of the political landscape in Ohio but they could possibly attain a simple majority in both houses.

And you know what that means for gun rights in Ohio.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Yeah I checked myself. There was another investigation going on Householder the last time he left office. Feds never filed charges, and he became the Perry County auditor.

What? Nobody else on here wants to talk about this?

********************************************************************************
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

Best thing the Republican led house could do is give him the boot now.
High Power

Post by High Power »

I got this invitation from BFA. It makes me wonder if someone might be smoking something.

PS: I just got this correction from BFA.
CORRECTION:

The invitation that just went out was in error. It was scheduled well before we learned of Speaker Householder's legal issues recently in the news and we failed to delete it before our email system sent it.

We apologize for the error.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

LOL!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

High Power wrote:I got this invitation from BFA. It makes me wonder if someone might be smoking something.

PS: I just got this correction from BFA.
CORRECTION:

The invitation that just went out was in error. It was scheduled well before we learned of Speaker Householder's legal issues recently in the news and we failed to delete it before our email system sent it.

We apologize for the error.
I wanna show up anyway, Hawaiian shirt and all! :lol:

JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

Brian D. wrote:
I wanna show up anyway, Hawaiian shirt and all! :lol:
Nah. Make him feel at home and wear an orange jumpsuit.
Maybe a Russo Halloween mask for flavor.
High Power

Post by High Power »

From the man that wore the wire for the FBI:
Toward the end of the Sept. 13 meeting, Fehrman -- who was again wearing an FBI wire -- said Borges warned him, “You better not be screwing me” and that he hoped Fehrman was not secretly recording their meeting for the Columbus Dispatch.

Fehrman said he answered, “I’m not recording anything for the Dispatch.”

As the two were getting up to leave, Fehrman said Borges looked at him and said, “Seriously, though -- if you’re ****ing with me, we’ll blow up your house.”
Full story here: https://www.cleveland.com/open/2020/07/ ... cheme.html
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

The last thing Householder did regarding gun rights, was amend and pass HB 425, notification repeal.
It's in the Senate now.
If we can get it passed clean, without needing a concurrence vote, I'd say that's as good as we can get this GA, wouldn't you?
Our good governor will veto constitutional carry and/or SYG, and this ain't the GA to over ride a veto.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

So here are the two leading replacements:

"Cupp, a former Ohio Supreme Court justice, and Householder's No. 2, Speaker Pro Tempore Rep. Jim Butler, are potential candidates to be the next speaker."

Did Cupp rule on any of our gun cases while in the Supreme Court, and do we know anything about either with regards to gun rights?
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Cupp is in as of yesterday

I was listening to radio yesterday for the announcement,and there was none

The big newz splash was today. Which is kinda odd
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

And the railroad runs along.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Did anyone go on Aug 14th?
How was the party?
Were there masks?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798