Powers during state of emergency needs a check and balance

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Liberty

Powers during state of emergency needs a check and balance

Post by Liberty »

Whether or not you agree with Ohio’s Governor’s action amid this PanicDemic, I think most would agree that one person should not have the power to close our economy and place everyone on house arrest. That is how nations were destroyed in the past.

I think we need a ballot issue that would amend the Ohio Constitution to clearly define the powers of the Governor that can only be used during an official state of emergency that must first be declared by the Governor and can only last for one week, and violations of the one week rule by a Governor should constitute a felony and provide for immediate removal from office by impeachment. In order for the state of emergency to continue, the state of emergency itself as well as its scope must be approved by three fourths vote of the General Assembly, and reviewed and approved each week thereafter.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Powers during state of emergency needs a check and balan

Post by WhyNot »

I agree.

I mean, an emergency such as this nation wide, world wide needs an immediate response. But, Also immediately should be a FORMAL , legal meeting with OGA in order to extend or modify the reponse
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

It does have checks and balances. 2nd Amendment. Unfortunately noone will ever enforce checks and balances as originally intended when the legal methods fail/take too long/corrupt.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I think we all know that the 2nd Amendment is the check and balance of last resort, but I would like another one that could prevent the last resort from being necessary.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Liberty wrote:I think we all know that the 2nd Amendment is the check and balance of last resort, but I would like another one that could prevent the last resort from being necessary.
Four boxes of Liberty
Soap box
Ballot Box
Jury Box
Ballot Box.

I certainly hope it can be remedied before we hit number 4.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Four boxes of Liberty
Soap box
Ballot Box
Jury Box
Ballot Box.

I certainly hope it can be remedied before we hit number 4.
Well...

The soap box is social media. Ballot box is a-coming, and, some Ohio Reps & Senators have indeed formally petitioned the gov to LIFT THE RESTRICTIONS
Re: https://docs.google.com/gview?url=https ... DeWine.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jury box? JUST THIS WEEKEND, judges intervened in KY and LA, among other places.

Speaking of mentioning Ballot Box twice, has everyone mailed in their ballots yet? Time is running out to vote!

Think of it as a once in a lifetime opportunity to vote in an election, although ordered to continue by a judge, was cancelled er, extended anyways...
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Why are you misquoting the four boxes of liberty?

It's been in my signature for over a decade.
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Oddly enough, the issue of "martial law" (for which one could substitute a statewide emergency / lockdown) was the topic addressed by Edwin Vieira, PhD, JD in this interview.

Indeed, the 2nd Amendment is the answer to the question, and not as a last resort.
I cannot commend this interview and it's companion to you highly enough.

Invest in the concept of self-government. Take the time to learn the ways of the 2nd Amendment that your forefather's understood.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

AlanM wrote:...
Some of us have signature lines turned off... I have never seen your quote; maybe the quoter hasn't either.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

AlanM wrote:Why are you misquoting the four boxes of liberty?

Sorry, it was a typo. I hadn't had my first cup of caffeine yet. My apologies.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I figured it was just an oversight, and, used it to something good.

Maybe Maybelle it was a Freudian Slip :shock:

May be me remembering back 40 years to college debate class :P ....

...DON'T FORGET TO VOTE
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

WhyNot wrote:I figured it was just an oversight, and, used it to something good.

Maybe Maybelle it was a Freudian Slip :shock:

May be me remembering back 40 years to college debate class :P ....

...DON'T FORGET TO VOTE
You may be on to something. My absentee ballot is sitting next to my computer waiting for me to fill out and send. It might have been the ballot calling me to actually do something.
:)
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Please listen to this interview and understand how the administrative State system dishonors your vote...
Please comprehend the powers vested in the militia and how many answers it affords.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

As the State budgets tank through the floor...we're going to see the power we've attempted to vest in the State and it's impotence.

We're going to get back to local government control. Be one of the first in your zip code to comprehend how it works and why it is more effective than the system we're about to vote for again.

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Lt Governor Husted is dropping the hammer regarding State budget...saying that cops and other government services are going away.

Hello Government education (K-College), Medicaid...
Husted thinking of the children...

Trying to reopen so that Ohio can gather revenue!