Anti gun lawmakers upset that legislation isn't being passed

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Anti gun lawmakers upset that legislation isn't being passed

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/local/months- ... OorPeUkZK/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shortly after the Dayton shooting on Aug. 4, Gov. Mike DeWine rolled out a 17-point plan to address gun violence and called on lawmakers to pass universal background checks and expressed support for a so-called red flag law. By October, DeWine’s plans were scaled back to a voluntary background check for private gun sales and expansion of 72-hour mental health holds on people who seem to be a danger to themselves or others.

“What’s happened to that 17-point plan? Now we’re looking at a two-point plan? And what does that two-point plan do? Virtually nothing,” Yuko said. “We need strong background checks. We need to get the guns off the streets and out of the hands of those who don’t deserve them.”
The guy who bought the gun for the Dayton shooter DID pass a background check, but then lets not let facts get in the way of an anti gun point. :roll:
Householder, who lives in Perry County, noted that rural Ohioans can’t rely on prompt police response so they want firearms for self-protection.

“If the guy who is coming down my driveway, if he has got an AR-15, you know what I want? I want an AR-15. That’s the way it has to be because we protect ourselves,” Householder said.

The speaker said “I’m of the belief that the biggest gun lobby that we have in the state of Ohio are the millions and millions of Ohioans who lawfully own firearms for sport and for protection.”

Illustrative of how far apart the legislative leaders are on gun issues, Sykes said she has never fired a gun in her life while Householder reported that he used a shotgun Sunday to shoot clay targets with family members.
Yuko and Obhof said they haven’t fired a gun in a long time; DeWine said he last fired a gun during his training class for a concealed carry weapons permit about eight years ago.