Jim Irvine gone as BFA President?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Jim Irvine gone as BFA President?

Post by Brian D. »

So the rumor mill says. Anybody with ears/eyes on Columbus got more info?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Jim Irvine gone as BFA President?

Post by schmieg »

Brian D. wrote:So the rumor mill says. Anybody with ears/eyes on Columbus got more info?
I think the politics over at BFA are worse than in DC.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

Yes, the association board voted to remove Jim as president and chief lobbiest. He will continue his work with the Foundation, PAC and in other areas of the Association.

JLE
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JEaton wrote:Yes, the association board voted to remove Jim as president and chief lobbiest. He will continue his work with the Foundation, PAC and in other areas of the Association.

JLE
You'd make an excellent President, Joe. Your radio work on local talk stations here is spot on, for starters. Can we get the State Capital moved closer to where you live? :)

********************************************************************************
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

The political newsletter I subscribe to says the following...
Irvine out: Jim Irvine is no longer the president and lobbyist for Buckeye Firearms, the state’s most prominent gun group, following an internal battle over gun legislation, according to Balmert. While it’s still not clear whether Irvine resigned or was forced out, Balmert linked his departure to a post on Buckeye Firearms’ website blasting House Bill 354, the Ohio House GOP’s response to DeWine’s gun-reform package.
The Enquirer article is behind a paywall so I can't read it.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/p ... 828236001/
BB62

Post by BB62 »

rickt wrote:The political newsletter I subscribe to says the following...
Irvine out: Jim Irvine is no longer the president and lobbyist for Buckeye Firearms, the state’s most prominent gun group, following an internal battle over gun legislation, according to Balmert. While it’s still not clear whether Irvine resigned or was forced out, Balmert linked his departure to a post on Buckeye Firearms’ website blasting House Bill 354, the Ohio House GOP’s response to DeWine’s gun-reform package.
The Enquirer article is behind a paywall so I can't read it.

BFA is Ohio's most prominent gun group?? :roll:

Blasting HB 354 is more than appropriate.

I'll restrain myself from saying more about Mr. Irvine's departure.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Another article: https://www.secondamendmentdaily.com/20 ... sociation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"BUCKEYE BUST: Compromised Gun Lobbyist Jim Irvine OUSTED from Buckeye Firearms Association

Columbus — The top lobbyist at Ohio’s Buckeye Firearms Association will not be representing them at the capital this coming legislative session.

Jim Irvine, both the group President and longtime lobbyist, is out of both jobs. This move from Buckeye Firearms comes after a board meeting on Monday, January 6th. Following the meeting, the group announced that Irvine will be leaving Buckeye Firearms Association to pursue other interests.

In an email to reporters, Executive Director Dean Rieck confirmed Irvine’s departure and said that Irvine might go on to do other work related to guns, but it would not be for Buckeye Firearms Association.
There Are Political Games Afoot

But insiders know that this departure is just one more play in the battle over how to move gun bills in Ohio.

Buckeye Firearms Association had recently published a post opposing House Bill 354. The bill, sponsored by Republican Representatives Phil Plummer and D.J. Swearingen, was a terrible gun bill by all accounts.

Buckeye Firearms’ published a post on their website shredding the bill — and rightfully so. The bill “creates a train wreck of problems for Ohioans and may be the single worst piece of legislation we have seen in a very long time,” they wrote. ..."
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

I'm sure Frenchie has some role for JI somewhere on his Titanic.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

rickt wrote: The Enquirer article is behind a paywall so I can't read it.

Google's cached version:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=us
BB62

Post by BB62 »

kcclark wrote:
rickt wrote: The Enquirer article is behind a paywall so I can't read it.

Google's cached version:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=us
Thanks for that!

Got Freedom?

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Yes, thanks for the link.

qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Buckeye Firearms Association had recently published a post opposing House Bill 354. The bill, sponsored by Republican Representatives Phil Plummer and D.J. Swearingen, was a terrible gun bill by all accounts.

Buckeye Firearms’ published a post on their website shredding the bill — and rightfully so. The bill “creates a train wreck of problems for Ohioans and may be the single worst piece of legislation we have seen in a very long time,”

Someone help me out here because I'm confused. If the bill is bad (which it is) and Irvine wrote a response against it, why would he be demoted for that?
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

qmti wrote:Someone help me out here because I'm confused. If the bill is bad (which it is) and Irvine wrote a response against it, why would he be demoted for that?
I sometimes question BFAs mindset. I think they still strongly support Dewine and they worry that Irvine is going to go against some of Dewines wants/needs.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

qmti wrote:Buckeye Firearms Association had recently published a post opposing House Bill 354. The bill, sponsored by Republican Representatives Phil Plummer and D.J. Swearingen, was a terrible gun bill by all accounts.

Buckeye Firearms’ published a post on their website shredding the bill — and rightfully so. The bill “creates a train wreck of problems for Ohioans and may be the single worst piece of legislation we have seen in a very long time,”

Someone help me out here because I'm confused. If the bill is bad (which it is) and Irvine wrote a response against it, why would he be demoted for that?
I underlined where the mistake is. It was others at that organization who wrote the refutation of HB354, not Irvine.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Article about Irvine's ouster.
COLUMBUS — Facing pressure from all sides, Ohio’s most powerful gun group ousted its voice at the Statehouse — leaving the door open for a more extreme Second Amendment advocate to influence lawmakers.

Emails obtained by The Enquirer detail how internal squabbles and external forces came to a head last month when Buckeye Firearms Association removed its longtime lobbyist and board president, Jim Irvine.

Following the Dayton shooting, Buckeye Firearms Association leaders diverged on how strongly to denounce gun proposals from Republican Gov. Mike DeWine and an Ohio House alternative supported by GOP Speaker Larry Householder.

Meanwhile, the gun group was facing near-constant attacks from a new pro-Second Amendment advocate, Ohio Gun Owners’ Chris Dorr, who vilified Buckeye Firearms as too moderate.

The result: a Jan. 6 reckoning that left Ohio’s most prominent gun group without an official lobbyist as state lawmakers consider a slew of proposals aimed at restricting or expanding gun rights.
https://www.beaconjournal.com/news/2020 ... ms-shakeup