Carrying at Church

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

FormerNavy

Carrying at Church

Post by FormerNavy »

Am I remembering correctly that one of the last law changes made it so that churches were like anywhere else - they had to post to be a CPZ, it wasn't automatic anymore? Or am I not remembering correctly?
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Carrying at Church

Post by 147Doc »

Had the same thought this morning while discussing the church shooting in Texas... but like you, cannot remember the details.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Churches are still a statutory no-carry zone. What changed is that they, along with *All* statutory no-carry zones, are supposed to post now. However, before you get too excited, there is nothing in the law that says if they *don't* post that carry is allowed.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I made that mistake on Facebook earlier, and many people corrected me.
I thought we got that fixed, now it's back on my list.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Pastor is pro-gun

Deacons are pro-gun

HOWEVER....I live in OHIO...whereas the Fed law says if I have a CHL, I M Ok (yes I knew that thnx LoL) in a school zone, butt, OHIO law says I M not. We have a non attached school K-12, allll on the same property deed.

Now the OGA a year or so ago so generously passed legislation whereas schools can say 'yes' and this particular school bored will act on that just as fast as OSyou will
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

WhyNot wrote:HOWEVER....I live in OHIO...whereas the Fed law says if I have a CHL, I M Ok (yes I knew that thnx LoL) in a school zone, butt, OHIO law says I M not. We have a non attached school K-12, allll on the same property deed.

Now the OGA a year or so ago so generously passed legislation whereas schools can say 'yes' and this particular school bored will act on that just as fast as OSyou will
K-12 schools have had the option of allowing carry in their buildings since concealed carry became legal in 2004. In March 2017, it became legal for licensees to keep their firearm locked in their car on school property without the school even knowing about it. I did that at the high school I worked at until I retired in 2018.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Yes ^^ exactly and with an average of 6 school districts (probably more) in 88 counties I would hazard to guess that way less than 10% allowed carry. This school is one of them.

And again correct about leaving the pistol secured in the vehicle, which, again, means I cannot take my legal lawful licensed papered pistol INTO the church e.g. ''Carrying at Church.''. And only because of 2 reasons 1- it's a school zone and 2- OGA wimpered out. Of which #2 is more relevant :P
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

JustaShooter wrote:Churches are still a statutory no-carry zone. What changed is that they, along with *All* statutory no-carry zones, are supposed to post now. However, before you get too excited, there is nothing in the law that says if they *don't* post that carry is allowed.
But are they still allowed to allow carry?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

TJW815 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:Churches are still a statutory no-carry zone. What changed is that they, along with *All* statutory no-carry zones, are supposed to post now. However, before you get too excited, there is nothing in the law that says if they *don't* post that carry is allowed.
But are they still allowed to allow carry?
Yes, you can carry in a church with permission, just like before.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!