2A Sanctuaries in Ohio?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: 2A Sanctuaries in Ohio?

Post by WhyNot »

The solution, but, perhaps not the implementation of the solution, is extremely simple.

All .gov activity exists & functions on one premise and one alone. REVENUE. No munny, no functions. Or perhaps 8) if the revenue / funds source is adressed i.e. talk of REDUCTION, the legislator who wants said function has a 2000% total tunnel-vision lock, no longer on the function itself but on the ''new'' funding problem.

This is the only area where I can see a benefit for NOT having term limits; it is easier to ''speak the languge'' (I M doing things to TAKE AWAY the MUNNY) to those who understand where the feed trough is, how much feed is in it, now, and how much is coming future-tense

The issue-do-jour becomes secondary to .gov wanting its food. More likely even tertiary in priority.
Last edited by WhyNot on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

WKYC is in Cleveland, how far away is Boone County, Ohio :?: :?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

bignflnut wrote:
BOONE COUNTY, Ohio (WKRC) - There's another Second Amendment sanctuary in the Tri-State.

Boone County commissioners unanimously passed the resolution Tuesday night. That makes it the third county in the last week to symbolically take up arms.

However, these declarations carry no legal weight because states reserve the right to regulate firearms.
???
Stupid mistake made by reporter/stupid editor didn't catch it: Boone County is in northern Kentucky. Home of
1) Rabbit Hash, the town with a dog as Mayor
2) The Creation Museum
3) Greater Cincinnati International Airport

...among other things.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Ahhh, we annexed Boone County. I understand now. :idea:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DOA33 »

Heard from a friend who lives in Scioto county is now a 2A sanctuary.
Open Carry, shhh it's a dirty secret.
High Power

Post by High Power »

DOA33 wrote:Heard from a friend who lives in Scioto county is now a 2A sanctuary.
Story here: https://www.portsmouth-dailytimes.com/n ... ary-county

87 more to go.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
sunfish valley

Post by sunfish valley »

86, Gallia county signed one also.
SUNFISHVALLEYCCW
NRA MEMBER
NRA INSTRUCTOR
NRA RSO
Ohio Hunter Education Instructor
High Power

Post by High Power »

I couldn't find anything on Gallia but here's something on Clermont County. Note the discussion on "red flag" laws.

https://www.wlwt.com/article/clermont-c ... s/30505237

This article talks about Clermont County but says that Meigs County became a 2A Sanctuary back in December.

https://bearingarms.com/cam-e/2020/01/1 ... esolution/

http://www.sciotopost.com/one-ohio-coun ... un-county/

If the all the above articles are correct, then the list of 2A counties in Ohio is:

Clermont
Gallia
Meigs
Scioto

84 to go!
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
High Power

Post by High Power »

Hocking County becomes a 2A sanctuary.

Story here: http://www.sciotopost.com/hocking-count ... ry-county/

A friend asked me to spread the word about a 2A sanctuary meeting in Fairfield County.

Where: First Church of God, 732 East Sixth Avenue, Lancaster, OH 43130
When: Saturday February 8, 2020 at 4:00 PM.
Who: Ohio Stands United. Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ohiostandsunited/

screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

I’ve got one word for everyone...Bloomberg. He’s worth 56 billion and he hates people like us. He can buy anything or anybody he wants. He bought Virginia. He’s doing his best to buy the United States.
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

These resolutions are pretty pointless in Ohio. Here's the reality.
Perry County Sheriffs Office

***Message From Sheriff Barker***

On January 24th, 2020 in Columbus Ohio, the Buckeye State Sheriffs’ Association held a meeting that was attended by at least 54 of the 88 Sheriff’s in Ohio. The purpose of this meeting was to develop a unified response to the challenges to the 2nd Amendment rights of the people.

The basic consideration was that the Sheriffs position is created by State Statute and the Sheriff is not a Constitutional Officer. Our duties are to enforce the Constitution of Ohio and the United States and laws enacted by the State Legislature. We would be derelict in our duties by failing to enforce laws that are constitutionally approved.

Therefore, my oath of office clearly states it is my sole responsibility as your Sheriff to enforce State Laws and uphold the Constitution of the State of Ohio and the Constitution of the United States.

Now, if a revision is made in any State Law or Constitution, it becomes my duty to enforce such changes unless found to be unconstitutional. The likelihood of that happening appears to be slim. One of the provisions of Senate Bill (SB) 221 proposes to recommend, NOT MANDATE, that the transfer or sale of a firearm between 2 individuals include a criminal background check. The buyer of the firearm would go to the Sheriff’s Office, pay a nominal fee which has not yet been established, to have a records check performed much like a NICS check. The benefit of that proposed S.B. is that it affords the seller the knowledge that, the person buying the firearm has no criminal background that would prohibit the buyer from possessing a firearm. Again, this is not a requirement, but a RECOMMENDATION.

Other provisions of this proposed S.B. (i.e. mental health assessment), are really no different from current provisions in the Conceal Carry Permit laws. Individuals may file through Probate Court to determine if an individual is mentally incompetent and cannot possess a firearm and these records become available to Law Enforcement.

So, unless directed by a court order to remove firearms from the possession of an individual, it is your right to possess legally acquired firearms. It is my solemn duty as your Sheriff, and that of my fellow Sheriffs of Ohio, to use all the tools possible to ensure the safety and well-being of our citizens, and to support the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution of the United States.

William R. Barker, Sheriff
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 8085674919" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Key takeaway: "if a revision is made in any State Law or Constitution, it becomes my duty to enforce such changes unless found to be unconstitutional. The likelihood of that happening appears to be slim."

Yup, don't pay any attention to these 2A Sanctuary resolutions being posted, *THEY WILL ENFORCE THE LAW* until someone *ELSE* says it is unconstitutional. Take off the blinders, people.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
High Power

Post by High Power »

JustaShooter wrote:These resolutions are pretty pointless in Ohio. Here's the reality.
Perry County Sheriffs Office

***Message From Sheriff Barker***

On January 24th, 2020 in Columbus Ohio, the Buckeye State Sheriffs’ Association held a meeting that was attended by at least 54 of the 88 Sheriff’s in Ohio. The purpose of this meeting was to develop a unified response to the challenges to the 2nd Amendment rights of the people.

The basic consideration was that the Sheriffs position is created by State Statute and the Sheriff is not a Constitutional Officer. Our duties are to enforce the Constitution of Ohio and the United States and laws enacted by the State Legislature. We would be derelict in our duties by failing to enforce laws that are constitutionally approved.

Therefore, my oath of office clearly states it is my sole responsibility as your Sheriff to enforce State Laws and uphold the Constitution of the State of Ohio and the Constitution of the United States.

Now, if a revision is made in any State Law or Constitution, it becomes my duty to enforce such changes unless found to be unconstitutional. The likelihood of that happening appears to be slim. One of the provisions of Senate Bill (SB) 221 proposes to recommend, NOT MANDATE, that the transfer or sale of a firearm between 2 individuals include a criminal background check. The buyer of the firearm would go to the Sheriff’s Office, pay a nominal fee which has not yet been established, to have a records check performed much like a NICS check. The benefit of that proposed S.B. is that it affords the seller the knowledge that, the person buying the firearm has no criminal background that would prohibit the buyer from possessing a firearm. Again, this is not a requirement, but a RECOMMENDATION.

Other provisions of this proposed S.B. (i.e. mental health assessment), are really no different from current provisions in the Conceal Carry Permit laws. Individuals may file through Probate Court to determine if an individual is mentally incompetent and cannot possess a firearm and these records become available to Law Enforcement.

So, unless directed by a court order to remove firearms from the possession of an individual, it is your right to possess legally acquired firearms. It is my solemn duty as your Sheriff, and that of my fellow Sheriffs of Ohio, to use all the tools possible to ensure the safety and well-being of our citizens, and to support the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution of the United States.

William R. Barker, Sheriff
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 8085674919" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Key takeaway: "if a revision is made in any State Law or Constitution, it becomes my duty to enforce such changes unless found to be unconstitutional. The likelihood of that happening appears to be slim."

Yup, don't pay any attention to these 2A Sanctuary resolutions being posted, *THEY WILL ENFORCE THE LAW* until someone *ELSE* says it is unconstitutional. Take off the blinders, people.
The constitution is the supreme law of the land and trumps all other laws. The sheriff's are still elected office holders. It is still possible for them to be un-elected.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

The question, when the two are in conflict (state laws vs Constitutions), is which will you value more highly? Who is paying the officer? Is it the County Commissioners? The StateHouse? Until election time, who has the leverage on these officers?

Sure, Mike can bribe them all. A million times 88 is a rounding error.

If the Statehouse eradicated the office of Sheriff across Ohio, that might be considered heavy-handed...but I don't put it past them. Yes, at the moment we have a faux Sheriff system, but that, too can change.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
High Power

Post by High Power »

bignflnut wrote:
The question, when the two are in conflict (state laws vs Constitutions), is which will you value more highly? Who is paying the officer? Is it the County Commissioners? The StateHouse? Until election time, who has the leverage on these officers?

Sure, Mike can bribe them all. A million times 88 is a rounding error.

If the Statehouse eradicated the office of Sheriff across Ohio, that might be considered heavy-handed...but I don't put it past them. Yes, at the moment we have a faux Sheriff system, but that, too can change.
If the Statehouse were to eradicate the office of Sheriff, then who would they get to enforce their unconstitutional laws?

The answer is that there will always be Quislings willing to sell out their neighbors for the almighty dollar.

If I remember correctly, the Supreme Court ruled that Andrew Jackson's war on the Seminoles was unconstitutional. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Jackson basically said, "They made the ruling so let them enforce it." [paraphrased]

Congress was upset with Teddy Roosevelt when he sent the Navy on a world tour. They lamented the fact that they didn't have the money to pay for the tour. Roosevelt basically told congress, "You got the money to pay for half the trip. If you want them back, you will pay for the rest of it." [paraphrased]

In other-words, a legislative body can outlaw anything they want if the Chief Executive signs the bill. Enforcing that law is something else entirely. Congress along with some of the states ratified the 18th Amendment but it was a colossal failure at trying to enforce it.

Any elected sheriff in a largely pro-gun county will have a difficult time answering to the people that elected him if he starts enforcing un-constitutional and un-popular gun laws - no matter what the legislature and governor tell him to do.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

then there is this email I received..
State Rep Diane Grendell

Thursday, February 6th, I will be filing legislation declaring Ohio a Second Amendment Protective State. My resolution will mirror similar resolutions passed at the county and township levels across the nation.
As legislators we are sworn protectors of the Constitution of the United States of America, it is imperative we ensure our Second Amendment rights are not infringed upon. Gun restriction laws only harm legal and lawful gun owners. The age old adage rings true: Criminals do not follow firearm laws!
This resolution will declare that Ohio is fully supportive of the constitutional right to bear arms.
https://www.facebook.com/diane.grendell.96" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ohiohouse.gov/diane-v-grende ... tive-state" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson