2A Sanctuaries in Ohio?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

High Power

2A Sanctuaries in Ohio?

Post by High Power »

Just curios; I wonder how far 2A cities or counties would progress in Ohio. Anyone have any thoughts?

The reason that I am asking is that Virginia isn't too much different than we are as far as demographics. There are a few differences but none that might make a difference.

Where would we likely see it start and how - in this state?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: 2A Sanctuaries in Ohio?

Post by Mr. Glock »

Let’s hope we don’t elect leaders that force us to find out!
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
High Power

Post by High Power »

Mr. Glock wrote:Let’s hope we don’t elect leaders that force us to find out!
That's the problem. 2A activists tend to be reactive rather than proactive. The other side plays chess while we play checkers.

What would be the arm in a 2A sanctuary movement starting before they force us into that?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Understanding that Ohio is operating under a "GOP" leadership in governor and statehouse...what have we gained?
Virginians are simply ready to do what is necessary when they understand the wolf is at the door.
We don't understand that, so long as we can fly red banners over election coverages. But at some point, we may realize that the difference is in name only.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
High Power

Post by High Power »

bignflnut wrote:
Understanding that Ohio is operating under a "GOP" leadership in governor and statehouse...what have we gained?
Virginians are simply ready to do what is necessary when they understand the wolf is at the door.
We don't understand that, so long as we can fly red banners over election coverages. But at some point, we may realize that the difference is in name only.
And don't think for one second that Dewine would not flip if he thought he would get more votes if he thought their were more anti-gunners voting than pro-gun voters.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

High Power wrote:
That's the problem. 2A activists tend to be reactive rather than proactive. The other side plays chess while we play checkers.

What would be the arm in a 2A sanctuary movement starting before they force us into that?
What would it entail? I also think we are more re-active because we like to follow within the letters of the law and fight it at the statehouse instead of the courthouse.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
High Power

Post by High Power »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
High Power wrote:

What would it entail? I also think we are more re-active because we like to follow within the letters of the law and fight it at the statehouse instead of the courthouse.
Obviously any sanctuary movement would begin at the local level. Every city and county is a little different. It would have to start with persuading county commissioners and city councilmen into enacting 2A sanctuary language.

Perhaps that effort might start with a petition drive with the documents presented to the commissioners and a city council meeting. After that, the residents will see where their local leaders stand on the issue.

Right now, a 2A sanctuary movement isn't perceived as needed because there isn't a big threat on the state level yet.

It's obvious that we need to keep anti-gun legislation from ever seeing the light of day at the state level. Just like homes and businesses use a layered security philosophy to protection we should be thinking about a grass roots approach on a county level. That also has an added effect of letting state politicians know that they better not think about any anti-gun movements because of a strong 2A feeling on the county level.

The 2020 campaign season will be underway soon. Now would be a good time to ask those people campaigning for sheriff if they intend to enforce any anti-gun laws in their countries. Let's get them on the record soon before we have to vote next November.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

High Power wrote:

Sometimes the threat is more forceful than the thing. VA citizens lost to VA subjects; now VA citizens have their backs against the wall and the VA subjects have them on the run. Not a place I’d like to be, but their work is inspirational. I wish them the best of luck, but that effort would have been unnecessary if the pro-gun vote was not stupid during the regular election. Colorado was the same.

What we have today in Ohio is better than DeWine ever getting the gumption to really go full Bloomberg. And the only thing keeping him from such is the repercussions.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

So we wait here in Ohio until the Tories elect enough of their brethren to go after our guns and ammunition?
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

BEAR! wrote:So we wait here in Ohio until the Tories elect enough of their brethren to go after our guns and ammunition?
One would hope you are not waiting, one would hope you are working to keep the Tories well at bay here in Ohio.

But those who sign up to be a 2A sanctuary in the calm of Ohio’s political waters today may not all make the transition to supporting it in the rough waters possible in the future. In VA, they are standing up and being counted in the face of tyranny by their own state government. It makes a bigger splash.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

PS Not that I oppose such things as 2A sanctuaries. I just hope we don’t need them. Do the easy work now to protect freedom, not the hard work later to attempt to defend it.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

High Power wrote:Obviously any sanctuary movement would begin at the local level. Every city and county is a little different. It would have to start with persuading county commissioners and city councilmen into enacting 2A sanctuary language.
Considering the number of political sub-fiefdoms across Ohio that have chosen to allow concealed carry in the buildings they own or lease I'm not overly optimistic. I think I've heard of about two. Personally I'd see tackling this as a good way to gauge support while actually accomplishing something.
High Power

Post by High Power »

djthomas wrote:
High Power wrote:Obviously any sanctuary movement would begin at the local level. Every city and county is a little different. It would have to start with persuading county commissioners and city councilmen into enacting 2A sanctuary language.
Considering the number of political sub-fiefdoms across Ohio that have chosen to allow concealed carry in the buildings they own or lease I'm not overly optimistic. I think I've heard of about two. Personally I'd see tackling this as a good way to gauge support while actually accomplishing something.
I'd like to see the question posed to the candidates running for sheriff in the different counties for 2020; "If there was a law passed that made it illegal to own, possess or carry firearms such as the AR-15 or AK-47 and/or banned standard capacity magazines, would you enforce it or ignore it?"

That would at least flush some of the ones with an (R) after their name out of the woods to see who is pro 2A and who isn't.
zeko

Post by zeko »

A similar question (not confined to any particular type of firearm) was posed to the two candidates whose meetings I attended in the last sheriff's election in Morrow County. Both stated that they would not confiscate guns.

Zeko
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

As has been said already - Ohio is in a very different place than Virginia. Be thankful and work to keep us in this good place.

As to DeWine - he can strut and fret all he likes but the General assembly isn’t going to just rubber stamp his wishes. Heck, his own “Strong Ohio” bill can’t even get the Democrats to support it, much less the squishy Republicans he needs to flip.

The only way for a “sanctuary” resolution from a local government entity to have any force of law would be for us to get rid of statewide preemption. You know...that little section of the law that we have used to beat Cleveland/Oberlin/Columbus/etc in court and force them to get rid of their stupid anti-gun ordinances? And get our lawyer fees reimbursed when we win? That section of law that we all worked so hard to get put into place to eliminate the patchwork quilt of gun laws in Ohio? Anybody seriously want to undermine that?
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!