H.B. 425: Modifies notification requirement

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: H.B. 425: Modifies notification requirement

Post by Morne »

rickt wrote:I watched the hearing video and no amendment or substitute bill was introduced. Interesting how a bunch on anti testimony was submitted as if they knew the content of the amendment and then when the amendment was not submitted, they bailed from the hearing.
Got a link to the video? I'm kind of curious how my testimony looks from the camera's perspective.

Yeah, we had hopes for the amendment. I don't think it is completely dead, though. We are still working it. Simple repeal of notification is what OFCC members have asked us to push for so that is what we do at the Statehouse.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

http://www.ohiochannel.org/collections/ ... -committee

I can't keep your screen names straight. I keep forgetting which of you is Doug and which is Gary.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

I'm Doug. I was the first one to testify. Just watched the video, reasonably pleased with my delivery. Wasn't all that pleased with how the camera makes my weight look. :lol:

And yeah - I am trying to bring three piece suits back into style. Tell the others. 8)
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Morne wrote:I'm Doug. I was the first one to testify. Just watched the video, reasonably pleased with my delivery. Wasn't all that pleased with how the camera makes my weight look. :lol:

And yeah - I am trying to bring three piece suits back into style. Tell the others. 8)
It seems to get harder and harder to find them.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Morne wrote:I'm Doug. I was the first one to testify. Just watched the video, reasonably pleased with my delivery. Wasn't all that pleased with how the camera makes my weight look. :lol:

I thought your presentation was excellent. I don't know how you can fulfill Rep. Brigid Kelly's request about whether the 41 states without notification are having any problems. How can you prove a negative?

In my testimony on HB 142 last session, I asked the committee to query the police organizations, who I knew would bring up "officer safety", whether they were aware of any problems in other states. If problems with lack of notification exist, why aren't police organizations in those states pushing legislation to implement notification. The lack of any push to get notification in those states is some proof it isn't a problem.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

So the Ohio FOP opposes HB 425 even though it doesn't eliminate notification. The reasons?

The usual mantra of "officer safety". In addition, they say if there is any problem with the current notification process, it all the fault of the licensees and not the LEOs. It's because our training was reduced from 12 hours to 8 hours.

http://search-prod.lis.state.oh.us/cm_p ... 6-2019.pdf

Not a single committee member asked him any questions about his testimony. Not one asked him to explain why 41 states have no notification. Not one asked him to explain all the negative encounters that were presented during proponent testimony.
xpd54

Post by xpd54 »

rickt wrote:So the Ohio FOP opposes HB 425 even though it doesn't eliminate notification. The reasons?

The usual mantra of "officer safety". In addition, they say if there is any problem with the current notification process, it all the fault of the licensees and not the LEOs. It's because our training was reduced from 12 hours to 8 hours.

http://search-prod.lis.state.oh.us/cm_p ... 6-2019.pdf

Not a single committee member asked him any questions about his testimony. Not one asked him to explain why 41 states have no notification. Not one asked him to explain all the negative encounters that were presented during proponent testimony.
Not every FOP member opposes HB425. I thought I was pretty clear about that this morning. May have to change my screen names to Minus 1.
".....in the end we must still slosh our way through the factbound morass of reasonableness."
- Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia in Scott v. Harris

The views expressed in this post are my own. They have not been reviewed or approved by my employer.

My Blog
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Same old song and dance by the old farts at the FOP. Why no questions by the committee? I can only assume they have already heard the same old replies before.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

This is a topic to be revived.
As passed by the House, notification is required ONLY WHEN ASKED by the officer, with NO PENALTY what so ever for failing to notify.

In this crazy year, the ONLY pro-gun bill to have passed either chamber is this one.
I seriously doubt anything passes the House for us during the rest of this GA.
But if we can get the Senate to pass HB 425 exactly as it is, with no amendments, we can get notification repealed with little fanfare and probably not vetoed.
I want to avoid any further action by the House on this, even a concurrence vote could screw it up.

That's the way I hope it plays out, anyway
Thoughts?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pk47 »

Chuck wrote:This is a topic to be revived.
As passed by the House, notification is required ONLY WHEN ASKED by the officer, with NO PENALTY what so ever for failing to notify.

In this crazy year, the ONLY pro-gun bill to have passed either chamber is this one.
I seriously doubt anything passes the House for us during the rest of this GA.
But if we can get the Senate to pass HB 425 exactly as it is, with no amendments, we can get notification repealed with little fanfare and probably not vetoed.
I want to avoid any further action by the House on this, even a concurrence vote could screw it up.

That's the way I hope it plays out, anyway
Thoughts?
I agree with your approach. Piecemeal is better than nothing at all.
gilly32
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gilly32 »

Go for it!
"The right to keep and bear arms is rooted in both self-defense and insurance against government’s propensity toward tyranny. The right pre-existed the Constitution. Thus, the Second Amendment is not its source. The right to keep and bear arms is natural and inalienable; the Second Amendment protects it, and Congress has no legitimate power to restrict it." - Senator John Cornyn (R., Tex.), as reported in the National Review on July 4, 2016

Burma Shave
docachna

Post by docachna »

So what ever happened with this ?

If the borders don’t shut down, I might be coming to Ohio, and I’d like to stay current.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

docachna wrote:So what ever happened with this ?
The bill is still stuck in the Senate Government Oversight and Reform committee.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
skylinechiliboi

Post by skylinechiliboi »

JustaShooter wrote:
The bill is still stuck in the Senate Government Oversight and Reform committee.
Why does that not surprise me?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

skylinechiliboi wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
Why does that not surprise me?
Because that's the Ohio way?

But on a positive note, there is a committee hearing planned in the Senate Government Oversight and Reform Committee tomorrow to hear testimony on HB 425, at 4:30pm in the Senate Finance Hearing Room.
Please attend and / or send testimony urging them to pass this bill.
It is likely to be the only thing we get from this messed up legislative session.
And if they amend it, it's doomed.
It'll never pass the House if they do.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!