S.B. 237: No duty to retreat

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: S.B. 237: No duty to retreat

Post by JustaShooter »

Aesinsp wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
Aesinsp wrote:MyWifeSaidYes wrote: "If the Guber doesn't sign it, I will be happy."
Hi MWSY. Why is that?
One possibility is that, if he doesn't sign it (and doesn't sign a veto either) within 10 days after it is delivered to him (excluding Sundays), it becomes law withought his signature.
So by not signing, I presume that could show non-support without a slap in the face to those that want the law.. Or waiting until the 11th hour to do the veto to possibly make a veto override less likely(?).
Exactly - and, as I understand it, the bill hasn't even been delivered to his desk yet so assuming it gets delivered this week, he can wait till late New Years Even and veto it and they won't even have a chance at overriding it.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

That's what Gov Taft did in his last hours in office. He looked bewildered as the clerk took the vetoed bill and literally ran to the house where they were waiting to override the veto.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Yes yes I remember. Good ol Taxin' Taft :P

And we CONTINUE to suffer the policies of Taxt from decades ago....on many fronts...
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

The issue is getting some attention at the national level.
DeWine's recipe to deal with this – let out gun felons ("criminal justice reform"), clamp down on inanimate objects, and infringe upon the right to self-defense – is creating a living hell. Ohio has let so many people out of prison and has limited new entrants to such an extent that there are fewer people in the state's prison system than at any time since 2005. Rather than working on locking up these criminals, DeWine is focused on the false narrative of "police reforms" and "de-escalation" training. Evidently, as implied by his veto threat, he wants citizens to engage in de-escalation tactics with violent criminals on drugs as well.
https://www.theblaze.com/horowitz-gov-d ... ts-in-ohio
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

More national attention. I am just obliging him (her)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV4tG4WmX3w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
GWC

Post by GWC »

Does anyone know what date the bill was delivered to our illustrious governor?
"The police are not here to create disorder. They are here to preserve disorder".
Mayor Richard Daley, 1968

I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.
Sky Pilot

Post by Sky Pilot »

7 pm Mon the 4th --
Channel 10 WBNS reports he signed the bill.
Center Township Combat Pistol League
TARDIS driver, NRA Endowment!
"I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett
rottman43055

Post by rottman43055 »

Great news on removing duty to retreat.

Any word on sb140 ?
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Just to be clear, S.B. 237 is *NOT* the bill that Gov. DeWine signed yesterday. This bill, a comprehensive Stand Your Ground bill with protections against civil suits, a pre-trial immunity hearing, etc., has been stuck in committee since it was introduced.

The bill the Governor signed was an amended SB 175 that *only* removes the duty to retreat outside of your residence or vehicle.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Does bug me that the press keeps saying the "Stand Your Ground" bill was passed/signed since SB 175 was not a SYG bill.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Today is the day the law supposedly went into effect. Anybody which streets are now running in blood, as a few anti gunners anti self defense have claimed will happen after any positive common sense gun or self defense law reform? :roll:

https://www.whio.com/news/crime-and-law ... TNTN6SCWU/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;