S.B. 237: No duty to retreat

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Klingon00

Re: S.B. 237: No duty to retreat

Post by Klingon00 »

I e-mailed the Ohio house representatives in support of the bill and so far the only person who responded was Adam Miller (OH-17).

His response was that while he was giving the bill consideration, he is "giving great deference to the law enforcement community".
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

UNFORTUNATELY... I can be very happy to be wrong...history speaks... this will get little weinered into...oh Mommy Mommy, what shall I do...no vote.

Big Chief Many Feather is the start ( 2XX $$ at election time)
Little Brave No Feather is the finish, at bill's voting time :P
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Looks like I M GLAD TO B WRONG. Least ways, the House version...

https://www.cleveland.com/open/2020/12/ ... ebate.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, the pleas from the leftists have a few more steps. Senate version, put 2 pieces together, etc. And have to cross the highest hurdle, our Beloved Gov Covid's signature

I REMAIN SKEPTICAL (who made 8) who?)

stay tuned :)
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

End of day summary for yesterday from Jim Irvine former BFA president.

SB 140 - Senator Uecker (Roegner has carried the wright after he left the Senate) permits manufacture and sale of automatic knives and clarifies that knives are not "deadly weapons" just for being knives, but they are if they are used as a weapon.
It passed the House Thursday, is now an Act and is headed to the Governor.

HB 425 - Rep Scott Wiggam. Repeal the duty to notify police and criminal penalties for a CHL not notifying every police officer on scene "promptly" enough in a stop. Awaits action in the Senate. If passed, it will go back to the House for concurrence.

SB 317 - Senator Bill Coley - Clarify state law on school safety and security that was grossly misjudged by the 12th circuit appeals court. This bill should render moot a case before the Ohio Supreme Court, save schools districts thousands of $$$, and make all Ohio schools safer. Has been amended into HB 425.

SB 175 - Senator Tim Schaffer - Immunity for volunteers on a church security team.

SB 383 - Senator Terry Johnson (Companion legislation HB 796, Rep Kyle Kaehler) - Repeal Ohio's "duty to retreat" There was a floor amendment where this was added to SB 175. That bill was then voted out of the House and awaits action in the Senate.

SB 360 - Senate President Larry Obhof - Protect FFL's and sale of firearms and ammunition from being closed by any government official. It was "informally passed" in the very early hours Friday (about 12:30am) and awaits action in the House.

HB49 - Rep Dave Greenspan - Clarify that a CHL is a valid picture ID. No action is expected. This bill will likely die at the end of session.

HB 248 - Rep Jena Powell - Align Ohio law with Federal law regarding antique firearms. There was an amendment to attach this language to SB 140. That motion failed. No further action is expected on this bill this session.

Both House and Senate are expected to reconvene on Friday to continue their work, and likely close out the session.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Thanks for the summary, Joe. Looks like another "hard candy Christmas" from our so-called friends at the General Assembly. Or as I call it sometimes The Best Little Statehouse In Ohio. Guess our groups just can't raise enough bribe money of a ruckus to get more done.

And yes, I did spend some time with legislators from my area when I could find them over the two year session. Just didn't have checks to pass out, I'm not a nuclear utility company.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Why is it the OGA only works 48 hours every two years? :?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Because if they actually worked a normal work week/year then we would all be boned and in the poor house. An active, effective government is not a good thing.
Javelin Man wrote:Why is it the OGA only works 48 hours every two years? :?
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
rottman43055

Post by rottman43055 »

I have not been on these forums in a long time, but upon reading the above post that knives will no longer be considered deadly weapons unless used as such makes me very happy.

As a knife collector and one who always carries cutting tools and believes they are a very important survival & rescue and utility tool I want to say Thank You to those who got this headed to Dewine's desk and out of curiosity when will this be law?

As for the removal of the duty to retreat this is a great thing for us law abiding citizens and many thanks to all of you who work to get these things done.

Thank you!
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

rottman43055 wrote:I have not been on these forums in a long time, but upon reading the above post that knives will no longer be considered deadly weapons unless used as such makes me very happy.

As a knife collector and one who always carries cutting tools and believes they are a very important survival & rescue and utility tool I want to say Thank You to those who got this headed to Dewine's desk and out of curiosity when will this be law?

As for the removal of the duty to retreat this is a great thing for us law abiding citizens and many thanks to all of you who work to get these things done.

Thank you!
Don't forget that there still is a myriad of local ordinances that make knives illegal and which also affect carry. There is no pre-emption here since knives are now not considered "arms" or weapons.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
rottman43055

Post by rottman43055 »

schmieg wrote:
rottman43055 wrote:I have not been on these forums in a long time, but upon reading the above post that knives will no longer be considered deadly weapons unless used as such makes me very happy.

Thank you!
Don't forget that there still is a myriad of local ordinances that make knives illegal and which also affect carry. There is no pre-emption here since knives are now not considered "arms" or weapons.
Thanks for the reminder. My city seems to follow state law last I read but guess a person needs to look up each place they travel.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

schmieg wrote:

Thank you!
Also keep in mind that this is not yet law; the governor still hasn't signed it - and may not.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

If the Guber doesn't sign it, I will be happy.

:wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:If the Guber doesn't sign it, I will be happy.

Hi MWSY. Why is that?
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Aesinsp wrote:

Hi MWSY. Why is that?
One possibility is that, if he doesn't sign it (and doesn't sign a veto either) within 10 days after it is delivered to him (excluding Sundays), it becomes law withought his signature.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

JustaShooter wrote:
Aesinsp wrote:

Hi MWSY. Why is that?
One possibility is that, if he doesn't sign it (and doesn't sign a veto either) within 10 days after it is delivered to him (excluding Sundays), it becomes law withought his signature.
So by not signing, I presume that could show non-support without a slap in the face to those that want the law.. Or waiting until the 11th hour to do the veto to possibly make a veto override less likely(?).
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe