S.B. 16: Require training on police/citizen interactions

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

S.B. 16: Require training on police/citizen interactions

Post by rickt »

Not strictly firearms related but since there is frequent discussions on firearms forums about how police/citizens interactions, some may find this of interest. Basically, the bill requires both LEO and drivers get training on rights and responsibilities during police/citizen interactions. I notice the bill doesn't cover CHLs.

https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... A133-SB-16
To amend sections 3301.0721, 3314.03, 3326.11, and 3328.24 and to enact sections 109.749, 3313.6024, and 4508.022 of the Revised Code regarding instruction for peace officers, students, and new or student drivers on proper interactions with peace officers.
Police training would require
(3) A requirement that the training include all of the following topics:
(a) A person's rights during an interaction with a peace officer, including all of the following:
(i) When a peace officer may require a person to exit a vehicle;
(ii) Constitutional protections from illegal search and seizure;
(iii) The rights of a passenger in a vehicle who has been pulled over for a traffic stop;
(iv) The right for a citizen to record an encounter with a peace officer.
(b) Proper actions for interacting with a civilian and methods for diffusing a stressful encounter with a civilian;
(c) Laws regarding questioning and detention by peace officers, including any law requiring a person to present proof of identity to a peace officer, and the consequences for a person's or officer's failure to comply with those laws.
(4) Any other requirements and procedures necessary for the proper implementation of this section.
Driver training would require
(a ) A person's rights during an interaction with a peace officer, including all of the following:
(i ) When a peace officer may require a person to exit a vehicle;
(ii ) Constitutional protections from illegal search and seizure;
(iii ) The rights of a passenger in a vehicle who has been pulled over for a traffic stop;
(iv ) The right to record an encounter with a peace officer.
(b ) Proper actions for interacting with a peace officer and methods for diffusing a stressful encounter with a peace officer;
(c ) Which individuals are considered peace officers, and their duties and responsibilities;
(d ) Laws regarding questioning and detention by peace officers, including any law requiring a person to present proof of identity to a peace officer, and the consequences for a person's or officer's failure to comply with those laws;
(e ) Procedures for filing a complaint against or a compliment on behalf of a peace officer.
(2) Demonstrations and role-play activities in a classroom setting, including an after-the-fact debriefing of students, that allow students to better understand how interactions between civilians and peace officers can and should unfold.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: S.B. 16: Require training on police/citizen interactions

Post by qmti »

Maybe I should print this and place it in the car for reference if I would ever get pulled over.