S.B. 221: DeWine's bill

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: S.B. 221: DeWine's bill

Post by JustaShooter »

sunfish valley wrote:also creates a gun registry
No more so than concealed handgun licensing does - since no information about the type of firearm, serial number, etc. is involved in the "buyers certificate", it at most creates a registry of potential firearm buyers. Don't get me wrong, I oppose this bill in its entirety but we need to be sure to oppose it for what it actually does.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
sunfish valley

Post by sunfish valley »

if it is like a 4473, and it contains the serial number and type of firearm, what else would you call it ??.
SUNFISHVALLEYCCW
NRA MEMBER
NRA INSTRUCTOR
NRA RSO
Ohio Hunter Education Instructor
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

sunfish valley wrote:if it is like a 4473, and it contains the serial number and type of firearm, what else would you call it ??.
It doesn't.

(And as far as the 4473 goes, the serial number, make, model are on the form but do not get transmitted to the ATF. That stays at the FFL, the only thing the ATF gets is handgun, long gun, or other. So, not an effective gun registry either.)
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
machinegunkelly

Post by machinegunkelly »

JaS
So a 4473, can be buried/burnt and never have to be given to the government?
MGK
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

machinegunkelly wrote:JaS
So a 4473, can be buried/burnt and never have to be given to the government?
MGK
FFLs must retain them for 20 years, and are never required to turn them over to the government unless the FFL goes out of business. And, when that happens, the government is prohibited from digitizing them anyway - so, there are boxes upon boxes of forms from FFLs in government warehouses - again, not the most effective way to run a registry...
NRA Life Member

kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

JustaShooter wrote: FFLs must retain them for 20 years, and are never required to turn them over to the government unless the FFL goes out of business. And, when that happens, the government is prohibited from digitizing them anyway - so, there are boxes upon boxes of forms from FFLs in government warehouses - again, not the most effective way to run a registry...
It appears that ATF is trying to change that.

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/02/atf-pr ... z6EBeCLsNo

https://gunowners.org/does-the-atf-have ... t-you-own/
I was given a demonstration and shown how the software exports the data (guns and gun buyers names and addresses) into either a PDF that resembles an old-fashioned bound book or a Comma Separated Values (CSV) file that can be opened in Microsoft Excel.

I was told that this “feature” makes a compliance check easy because the dealer simply exports the CSV file to a thumb drive and the ATF leaves with the data. I was told that ATF analyzes the data away from the FFL’s premises.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yes, because government agencies are famous for not doing things they aren't supposed to do. :roll:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Trump's ATF is at it again, eh?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

When speaking with the software vendors, I specifically asked how does ATF conduct compliance inspections of dealers who are using this software package. I was given a demonstration and shown how the software exports the data (guns and gun buyers names and addresses) into either a PDF that resembles an old-fashioned bound book or a Comma Separated Values (CSV) file that can be opened in Microsoft Excel.

I was told that this “feature” makes a compliance check easy because the dealer simply exports the CSV file to a thumb drive and the ATF leaves with the data. I was told that ATF analyzes the data away from the FFL’s premises. If there are any discrepancies or problems the gun dealer is notified and usually given an opportunity to correct the errors.

When dealing with compliance with government rules, many people do what is easy. That’s why so many file their US form 1040 tax return electronically, even though experts claim that increases the likelihood of an audit. I wasn’t surprised when the software vendor told me how well-received their application has been. Especially since it makes things easy, and ATF is not on dealer’s premises for more than a few minutes.

I accept that it is bad for business to have ATF personnel hanging around. This scheme is a danger, and allows ATF to easily create a gun registry — in violation of 18 USC 926 (a)(3). We have no way to know if a registry is actually being created and if the ATF is or is not destroying these records at the conclusion of the compliance check. One might argue they’re not, because GOA has received reports of ATF demanding copies of entire (paper) bound books. That is bad, but at least with paper, the data still needs to be converted to an electronic format to be of any real use. However, a CSV file that can be searched in MS Excel is of significant value to a government that wishes to track gun owners.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
sunfish valley

Post by sunfish valley »

with government, if it was ever on paper, its now somewhere now digital.
SUNFISHVALLEYCCW
NRA MEMBER
NRA INSTRUCTOR
NRA RSO
Ohio Hunter Education Instructor
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

DeWhine just pumped Ohio Strong gun restrictions again in today's conference..."doing nothing, is not an option".

Sounds like there's a newer better, fancier database that has the governor excited, but that there's no current mandate to feed the database that will "keep us all safe". So, more laws will do that, to be sure.

Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

bignflnut wrote:DeWhine just pumped Ohio Strong gun restrictions again in today's conference..."doing nothing, is not an option".

Sounds like there's a newer better, fancier database that has the governor excited, but that there's no current mandate to feed the database that will "keep us all safe". So, more laws will do that, to be sure.
E-warrant or something like that. Makes it easier for law enforcement to enter warrants and other items that make a person potentially ineligible to own/purchase a gun. Also, an officer will get faster news concerning arrest warrants before he/she approaches a vehicle with a person in it.

blah-blah-blah. Officer safety.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

This is linked within the article. The article also cites several other Ohio based organizations.

https://ohioccw.org/?view=article&id=51 ... s&catid=39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot the news article that contains the link . There are several links, check the original published dates, OFCC published 1st it would seem 8)

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/p ... 201097002/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

What I’d rather not mourn, however, are the gun rights of law-abiding Ohioans. Yet that’s precisely what Governor Mike DeWine seems to think the problem actually is.

An outbreak of gun violence in Cincinnati early Sunday killed four people, injured 14 in four separate incidents, and renewed calls for action statewide on gun violence which were first voiced a year ago after Dayton’s Oregon District shooting.

“Ohio must act,” Gov Mike DeWine said in a statement issues Sunday. “As more and more people are hurt and killed by gun violence, I am again urging Ohio’s legislature to pass our #STRONGOhio bill. This bill will help protect our citizens while also respecting the Second Amendment and due process rights.”

Oh boy, where do we start?

First, we don’t really know much about these particular incidents. Police are still investigating, so we don’t even really know who carried out these attacks or why they did it. We damn sure don’t know anything about how they obtained their weapons in the first place.

In other words, we have absolutely no information to suggest that DeWine’s gun control proposals would have done a damn thing to stop this attack or not. Based on how effective gun control historically has been, I’d say it wouldn’t have done much.

However, that’s especially true for DeWine’s bill. It pushes non-mandatory background checks and increased penalties for gun crime, which may be all fine and good, as well as crisis intervention, but we don’t know whether this was a “crisis” kind of attack or if it was something else. DeWine is taking a page out of the Democrats’ playbook, though, and making a shooting all about his gun control bill.

It’s not, and the STRONG Ohio bill wouldn’t have accomplished a damn thing to prevent those deadly attacks.

WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

JUST LIKE A DEMOCRAT, cry for gun control while the bodies are still warm...
Oh boy, where do we start?

First, we don’t really know much about these particular incidents. Police are still investigating, so we don’t even really know ...
Just a little more...it's reasonable...now you can keep your XYZ gun (for now) 8) ....

From this article...
https://www.journal-news.com/news/17-sh ... YTK7ROHSA/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One of the shootings occurred about on McMicken Avenue, in the Over-the-Rhine neighborhood, where Rogers and Grant were killed. A total of 10 people were shot at that location, police said.
OtR? How did I, who lives 2.5 hrs away, kinda knee-jerk to that location and GET IT RIGHT? OtR, 'whudda thunkit'

I M 2.5 hrs away. I guess according to the Gov, somehow, it's all MY FAULT.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good