S.B. 203: Gun show background checks

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

S.B. 203: Gun show background checks

Post by rickt »

S. B. No. 203 - Senators Thomas (D), Lehner (R).
Cosponsors: Senators Antonio (D), Fedor (D), Williams (D), Sykes (D), Maharath (D), Kunze (R), Craig (D), Yuko (D).

To amend sections 2929.28 and 5122.311 and to enact section 2923.27 of the Revised Code to regulate the transfer of firearms at a gun show.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: S.B. 203: Gun show background checks

Post by rickt »

WeinerDog

Post by WeinerDog »

Apparently the fact that if you have a CHL and that can be used in leau of a NICS checked isn’t going to be addressed. Sounds like they just want the 4473s.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

rickt wrote:
S. B. No. 203 - Senators Thomas (D), Lehner (R).
Cosponsors: Senators Antonio (D), Fedor (D), Williams (D), Sykes (D), Maharath (D), Kunze (R), Craig (D), Yuko (D).

To amend sections 2929.28 and 5122.311 and to enact section 2923.27 of the Revised Code to regulate the transfer of firearms at a gun show.
Okay, now I see TWO Republican Senators on one of these anti gun bills. Lehner I already studied up on, what is Stephanie Kunze's malfunction, Morne? Her 16th District is suburban/rural, west of Columbus. Can you and/or my friend Tim Inwood, the Clinton County GOP Chairman, talk some sense into her?

By the way, I see Senator Kunze spent two or more terms as an Ohio House Representative before she played the "jump to the other side of the Statehouse" game because of term limits laws. I truly despise that workaroud garbage.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

So let me see if I have this straight? I can buy or sell a limited amount of guns at a garage sale or flea market without having to find and go through an FFL for a background check, 4473, paying the dealer to do same, but not do the exact same thing at a gun show?
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Brian D. wrote:Okay, now I see TWO Republican Senators on one of these anti gun bills. Lehner I already studied up on, what is Stephanie Kunze's malfunction, Morne? Her 16th District is suburban/rural, west of Columbus. Can you and/or my friend Tim Inwood, the Clinton County GOP Chairman, talk some sense into her?

By the way, I see Senator Kunze spent two or more terms as an Ohio House Representative before she played the "jump to the other side of the Statehouse" game because of term limits laws. I truly despise that workaroud garbage.
Senator Kunze was a lost cause for us in the last general assembly. She carried one of Kasich's red flag bills along with Eklund and Henne. The difference between her and those other two is that they were both term-limited while she has to face the voters again in 2020.

Chair Inwood and I cannot impact Kunze's views. I have tried. Chair Preisse, Franklin County GOP top dog, possibly could talk sense to her. I am told he's a pro-gun guy, but let me explain why she is unlikely to heed even his admonitions:

The perception amongst conventional/insider politicos is that the 16th Senate District is a "soccer mom" district. It is one of those places where guns and Trump just don't play all that well. So the "safe thing" is to be a "moderate republican" that can look "reasonable" to those kind of voters. Obviously, I disagree with this approach.

Of the three house districts that makeup her senate district two are held by Democrats. Democrats believe that they can win this seat. Back in 2016 over $2 million was spent on this race. If you view 2018 as predictive of what is happening in suburban voting pattern shifts, as witnessed by the flip of Senate District 3 by about 700 votes, then Kunze's race is going to be a tough fight. Presidential coattails may actually hurt Kunze rather than help her.

With all of that said...what to do? Well that's the $2+ million question, isn't it. Obviously, she has earned a primary challenger. But who could you find to run against her that would be viable? And if you can't find someone viable would you run someone just out of spite? At some point the issue isn't the 16th Senate District so much as sending a message to every other legislator in Ohio that reads, "If you screw us over we will primary you and make your electoral life much more miserable." The net result would be that funds get shifted to help Kunze against her primary challenger and probably leaves less for the nominee to use in the (very tough) general election. Make no mistake, the Dem candidate would LOVE that. In short, there are no good answers. This is akin to dealing with a cancer - do you irradiate, use chemo, and/or surgery? Each have their pros and cons. Healthy tissue will be lost/damaged to varying degrees with any of these options. Something to think about.

At the end of the day I am glad to live in a district with good pro-gun legislators in both the Ohio House and Senate.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
machinegunkelly

Post by machinegunkelly »

Morne
Thanks for the useful insight on how we end up with the sausage makers, that we have. And are sometimes stuck with.
MGK
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

machinegunkelly wrote:Morne
Thanks for the useful insight on how we end up with the sausage makers, that we have. And are sometimes stuck with.
MGK
Boy, you ain't kidding.

Everyone remembers how we got stuck with Sherrod Brown as a US Senator, right? It was because Mike DeWine had a bad position on guns and Sherrod Brown beat him in 2006.

Now the good news is that the state legislature has term limits. So if we lose it isn't an eternity of Dem rule for that seat. But it might be eight long years before we can put a pro-gun candidate in there.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

With all of that said...what to do? Well...
Add SUNSET CLAUSE to any and EVERY new gun bill. I am 2000% certain this will work, and, not because it takes the ''heat'' off the voting politician; they will be termed out by then. Well, maybe a few will entertain the 52 card shuffle but the most will be toast.

No friends, the REAL reason a SUNSET CLAUSE will work is, FACTS. There WILL NOT be a ''significant'' reduction in any measurable crime rates, or any definition, make or model.

Because the red flags, UBCs etc WOULD NOT HAVE stopped anything that has happened.

Similarly, I would also be in a put-up or shut-up on STAND YOUR GROUND. Remove GUN FREE ZONES. You know...where 97% PLUS of these shootings happen. Put a SUNSET CLAUSE on any & all of it, and maybe a few of the pew pews will grow some chest hairs.

DEAR GOD , allll I've heard for years and years is, police response call the policepolicepolice. I do not know of any faster response to a tragedy, extra quick textbook actions, resulting in a PRESIDENTIAL CEREMONY.

Remember , to the hard leftists and, a few water drinkers, snivelers, 34 SECONDS RESPONSE TIME IS NOT ENOUGH.

It went so smooth, future in service training classes will present it as the EXACT right thing to do.

20 seconds response? NOT ENOUGH...
Are our rights part of some stupid lottery, or roulette wheel of politic?

5 seconds response perhaps?..

PS: I never got to the VAST overwhelming lawful use to unlawful use ratio 8)
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Fixed that for you.
WhyNot wrote:
With all of that said...what to do? Well...
Add SUNSET CLAUSE to any and EVERY new bill.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Dayton Mayor supporting campaign for voters to decide on mandatory universal background checks

https://www.whio.com/news/local/mayor-w ... iDgK3JllL/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley endorsed the Ohioans for Gun Safety campaign Wednesday which would give universal background checks a second chance to appear on the 2020 ballot.

The Ohio chapters for “Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America” and “Students Demand Action” joined Mayor Whaley on Wednesday as all three parties said they would sign on to the campaign. The endorsement comes the week after Gov. Mike DeWine’s decision against asking the state legislature for a “red flag” law and instead said he wants to improve the existing system.
The Southwest Ohio region leader for Buckeye Firearms Association, Joe Eaton, said even if the measure did make it to the statewide ballot, he does not think it could pass.

“The Buckeye Firearms Association has always opposed universal background checks,” Eaton said. “The main reason for that, is there’s simply no such thing as a universal background check because criminals will never go through this system. … It should have little chance (Ohioans for Gun Safety). We’ve heard this report of ‘90% support this.’ The problem with that is, it’s a very generic question that’s being asked. When you get into the details such as, ‘Should I be a criminal because I want to take a young man hunting and transfer them a firearm?’ … If they’re looking to pass universal background checks, if they want to make it a requirement only for criminals … that’s something that I can talk about.”
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Nan Whaley is Ohio's champion for Beto O'Roarke's anti-gun crusade. And the news media is giving her plenty of air time.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Senator Thomas, of Cincinnati, even referenced the I-TEAM report during a hearing for Governor DeWine's push for the Strong Ohio plan, which aims to keep firearms out of the hands of people who aren't permitted to own a gun. He claimed during the hearing that a large number of guns used in crimes came from a sale at a gun show.​

Chairman of the Senate Government Oversight and Reform Committee William Coley III, a Republican from Liberty Township, asked Thomas to supply him with hard data that corroborates that claim. Thomas agreed to do so.​
https://fox8.com/2019/11/06/concerns-ov ... -gun-laws/

Good luck proving that assertion. Everything I have read has said that most criminal guns are either stolen or procured via straw buyers.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

State Senator Thomas is a retired Cincinnati police officer. He's lying about where crime guns come from and damn well knows it.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.