H.B. 349: Regulate "large capacity" magazines

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

H.B. 349: Regulate "large capacity" magazines

Post by rickt »

H. B. No. 349 - Representative Weinstein (D).
Cosponsors: Representatives Boggs (D), Boyd (D), Brown (D), Crawley (D), Crossman (D), Kelly (D), Leland (D), Lepore-Hagan (D), Lightbody (D), Liston (D), Miller, A. (D), O'Brien (D), Robinson (D), Russo (D), Sheehy (D), Skindell (D), Smith, K. (D), Sobecki (D), Sykes (D), Upchurch (D), West (D).

To amend section 109.52 and to enact sections 109.5731, 2923.191, and 2923.192 of the Revised Code to generally prohibit a person from possessing a large capacity magazine and to establish a large capacity magazine registry.
https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... 133-HB-349
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: H.B. 349: Regulate "large capacity" magazines

Post by schmieg »

Well, that would make a good number of my handgun require me to register the mags for them or modify the mags so they couldn't load more than ten rounds and that doesn't even address my 10/22 mags.

I wonder if these dimwits have any idea what the size of standard handgun mags are.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
WeinerDog

Post by WeinerDog »

If they were looking to be effective ( in their minds ) they would make everyone turn in every mag over 10 rounds. The “ registry “ language just says to me they want to “back door” gun registration in total which of course is their road to confiscation. It is actually sad that leaders in this state and country are so pitifully ignorant.
Sasquatch.45

Post by Sasquatch.45 »

As I read the Bill, they want you to declare your "over 10" magazines on a form to get them 'grandfathered' (for now...).
Officially, you can not sell, trade or transfer them.

At the moment, it appears that there are no fees or taxes provisioned in the Bill.
It is kind of useless as anything other than a backdoor registration for what kind of guns you own.
As I see it, there is no provision, nor practical method available to serialize or identify individual magazines... If in the future you are found with 5 magazines for a "phased plasma rifle in the forty Watt range", and you have previously recorded owning at least five of them.... You are good to go.
I can imagine a situation where someone would declare
I own; 35 Zd,45 high-caps, 127 ak-47 mags,3,000 AR-15 mags.... continuing to register a massive catalog of real, desired and imaginary magazines... In case they should find themselves unexpectedly in possession of said device in the future.(or miscounted... forgot a few) :wink:

"Yea...I have about fifteen-hundred magazines to register...Gun? Lol I don't own any of 'em... Don't you know? Gunz-iz- dangerous... I just got the magazines as an investment... Here is the list..."

If enough people did this,. It would overwhelme the system with so much junk information that if it would be useless as a list for the purpose of confiscation, they would be spending more time looking for phantom guns than real ones :shock:

If in the future, they should decide to Tax/collect , confiscate or inspect Said evil mags, they would inconveniently turn out to be lost, stolen, worn beyond use, de-milled, disposed of, or lost in a tragic boating accident... Or allien obduction....

Without a nearly impossible to implement serialization program, they would have no way to know when you aquired transferred or traded a magazine after the registration period, as long as you are not found to be in possession of a greater number of mags than you originally claimed.
It doesn't say anything about having to own a firearm for a mag... after all, it's not a'gun registration', it's a 'magazine registration', you simply baught them because you planed on buying one some day... Or, you sold /lost,/destroyed the gun, being a good law abiding citizen, you couldn't transfer the mags with the gun...And that is what the story is when they come for the guns.

If this was a gun registration skeam... I would say resist... But, in this case, for magazines... I think I would have to say, register the mags,... Lots and lots and lots and lots of magazines, lol

By the way, that Phased Plasma rifle... I think I hid that one in the septic tank... I'll go get the hose so you can rinse off after you get it... I think it might be in the bottom rear corner....

"Keep on digging boys... It's got to be in there somewhere..."
No law of prohibition ever prevented a crime of violence, They simply provide a framework for punishment for those who fail to commit suicide after going postal.

The devil never made me do anything…However, he did have a couple of really cool ideals…
TB

Post by TB »

I guess they would really be upset with my 100 round magazines.
I wouldn't register crap. Why are we moving backwards in Ohio instead of advancing.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I wouldn't register crap. Why are we moving backwards in Ohio instead of advancing.
And why not the (D)'s trying anything & everything, with a VERY obvious left of 2A gov in offorce?

Throw enuff mashed taters on the wall, something will stick. Having 1 out of 3 of the less lumpies stuck is just a easy, no effort bonus
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

Kinda hard to actually register something with no serial number and no need to provide ID to buy...
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

dustymedic wrote:Kinda hard to actually register something with no serial number and no need to provide ID to buy...
They probably want you to register it to pair with one specific firearm and will require the S/N for that gun.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

schmieg wrote:
dustymedic wrote:Kinda hard to actually register something with no serial number and no need to provide ID to buy...
They probably want you to register it to pair with one specific firearm and will require the S/N for that gun.
I own some standard capacity AR mags, but have nothing to fit them into. Riddle me that...
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

evan price wrote:
schmieg wrote:
I own some standard capacity AR mags, but have nothing to fit them into. Riddle me that...
I also own magazines without something to fit them into. When I sold the firearms I didn't include all the mag's I had for them because I thought that I'd be buying them or similar guns again in the future. I only sold the guns because I needed the money for something else at the time. Plus I found a lot of them in a box after I'd already sold the guns. Now I've got to decide what to do with them. Do I:

A: sell them now while it's still legal
B: buy guns to fit them
C: virtue signal by videoing them getting cut in half to show I care about gun violence :roll:
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

TB wrote:I guess they would really be upset with my 100 round magazines.
We haven't moved backwards yet. The reps on that list have introduced anti freedom legislation in the past, and will continue to do so in the future until something gets passed.
Star56

Post by Star56 »

We all know that this crap will never pass the state house or senate.

Thank God!!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

No, we do NOT know that. We hope it is so but we do NOT know it.

What I do know is that I'm old enough to not give a @#%@$#$ what these traitors in Columbus and DC try to dictate from on high. My property and my rights are non-negotiable. I will not register anything. I will not turn anything in. I will not comply. If they think otherwise then the are free to have the courage of their traitorous convictions and come kill me. I simply do not care any more.
Star56 wrote:We all know that this crap will never pass the state house or senate.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Rotorflyr

Post by Rotorflyr »

schmieg wrote:I wonder if these dimwits have any idea what the size of standard handgun mags are.
Some do, some don't, those that do....don't care and don't want you to have them either way.
TB wrote:Why are we moving backwards in Ohio instead of advancing.
As was pointed out already, OH isn't moving backwards, currently it's closer to being stagnant then it is anything else.