Dewine building a coalition of gun legislation support

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Dewine building a coalition of gun legislation support

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/local/gov-dew ... 7DpavQTQK/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COLUMBUS — Gov. Mike DeWine said he is building a broad coalition of support to help him advocate for gun reforms, including faith leaders, mayors, county commissioners and others.

“Ultimately it’s what goes on inside this room, ultimately it’s the members here who vote on it so they’re the ones who have to be convinced,” DeWine said while visiting the Ohio Senate to present a commendation to Dayton police officers.

Just days after the Aug. 4 mass shooting in the Oregon District, DeWine responded to calls to “Do Something” by presenting a 17-point plan to address gun violence.

The Republican governor said he wants to expand and improve background checks for gun purchases and create a legal means to remove guns from people deemed to be a danger to themselves or others — often called a red flag or emergency protection order law. Detailed legislative language has yet to be unveiled.

“It’s coming soon. We want to keep it together as a package and we’re still working some of the parts,” DeWine said of his 17-point plan to address gun violence.

Lawmakers this week held hearings on several gun control bills but it is expected that DeWine’s legislation will have the best chance of passing. The bills are expected to start in the Senate.

Senate President Larry Obhof, R-Medina, said “I think that the governor and lieutenant governor and the people they’re working with have worked very hard to try to come up with solutions that are respectful of gun owners’ rights.”

Gun rights groups generally oppose expanded background checks and red flag laws as ineffective and unconstitutional. Ohio Gun Owners rallied against DeWine’s plan on Saturday at the Statehouse.
And here is some of those supporters. :roll:
Meanwhile on Wednesday, faith and community leaders rallied at the Statehouse in favor of gun control. Carrying signs that said “Do Something Now” and “Protect Children, Not Guns,” participants said they want to see Ohio lawmakers expand background checks, pass a red flag law and ban assault weapons and address police brutality.

“I’m here, and everywhere I can be, to speak on police brutality and any kind of gun violence. My son Jemarco was killed in 2017 in Dayton by the police while he slept in his car. I had a son in 2013 that was killed in street violence by guns. Enough is enough. That’s why I’m here,” Sabrina Jordan, Founder of Ohio Families United Against Police Brutality. Jemarco McShann, 23, was killed by Moraine police officers in October 2017.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Dewine building a coalition of gun legislation support

Post by bignflnut »

M-Quigley wrote:
And here is some of those supporters. :roll:
Meanwhile on Wednesday, faith and community leaders rallied at the Statehouse in favor of gun control. Carrying signs that said “Do Something Now” and “Protect Children, Not Guns,” participants said they want to see Ohio lawmakers expand background checks, pass a red flag law and ban assault weapons and address police brutality.

“I’m here, and everywhere I can be, to speak on police brutality and any kind of gun violence. My son Jemarco was killed in 2017 in Dayton by the police while he slept in his car. I had a son in 2013 that was killed in street violence by guns. Enough is enough. That’s why I’m here,” Sabrina Jordan, Founder of Ohio Families United Against Police Brutality. Jemarco McShann, 23, was killed by Moraine police officers in October 2017.
May I please expand on your eyeroll?

GIVING ALL THE GUNS TO COPS MAKES US LESS SAFE!

The 2nd Amendment is directly opposed to standing armies. Ohio's RKBA Constitutional clause reads
"The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security; but standing armies, in time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, and shall not be kept up; and the military shall be in strict subordination to the civil power. Art. I, § 4 (enacted 1851).
1802: "That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State; and as standing armies, in time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, they shall not be kept up, and that the military shall be kept under strict subordination to the civil power." Art. VIII, § 20. "
This idea that the State has a monopoly on police power was and is antithetical to the American Philosophy.

You see, one can't be pro standing army (confiscation force) and pro RKBA simultaneously, when these terms are properly defined (but we've been so very mis-educated that current & former members of the standing army consider themselves staunch RKBA advocates).

IF you are against "police brutality", you are pro RKBA. But in giving a monopoly of force to the police, you enable, encourage and generate more police brutality.

Dewhine is a gem, isn't he...going out and whipping up votes for his tyranny...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Thank you for posting this.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

It’s been almost two months since Gov. Mike DeWine proposed a package of gun law and mental health policy changes, and he says lawmakers will soon look over his official language on that.

And in spite of concerns raised by the House Speaker – DeWine is confident they will pass it.

SNIP

But he still hasn't unveiled the package of plans he's worked on with Lt. Gov. Jon Husted and gun rights advocates such as the Buckeye Firearms Association. This package is different than a set of seven bills that were heard in a Senate committee last week - three of which were bipartisan.

SNIP

But DeWine says the package he’ll bring to the legislature shortly will not infringe on Second Amendment rights and will be constitutional – but he also says it will pass and will do something to make Ohioans safer.

Householder has said he thinks passing DeWine's gun regulations will be difficult, and that there are members of his caucus who will not vote for some of the changes he's publicly talked about.
But wait, there's more...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

''Householder has said he thinks passing DeWine's gun regulations will be difficult, and that there are members of his caucus who will not vote for some of the changes he's publicly talked about.''

Does this mean there's changes he has NOT publicly talked about :o ?

And what praytell would make me think such a thing 8)
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Of all the places to argue that only the government should be trusted with guns, Beto O'Rourke picked…Kent State University.

Kent State is, of course, the location of the infamous 1970 shooting that left four students dead and nine others injured. The shots were fired not by private citizens but by members of the Ohio National Guard, who shot at a crowd protesting America's involvement in the Vietnam War.

Invoking armed agents of the state gunning down unarmed civilians is an interesting way to argue that Americans would be better off if the government forcefully disarmed private citizens. But hey, I guess that's why we keep being told Beto's an "unconventional" candidate.

Yesterday, people brought assault weapons to our rally at Kent State—where 4 students were shot dead in 1970.

I told them nobody should show up with an AK-47 or an AR-15 to seek to intimidate us in our own democracy.

We need to buy back every single one of them. pic.twitter.com/U7N5fWUlvv

— Beto O'Rourke (@BetoORourke) September 26, 2019
Irony meters across the county self-destructed.
Kent State happened and there was no "Boston Tea Party" level defiance.
Waco, Texas happened, and the populace did nothing.
These SSRI mass murders continue without end in sight...and we're not fighting back... we're letting RINOs like DeWhine flag us all.