H.B. 320: Up to 30 days hold during background check

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

H.B. 320: Up to 30 days hold during background check

Post by rickt »

H. B. No. 320 - Representative West (D).
Cosponsors: Representatives Kelly (D), Galonski (D), Boggs (D), Smith, K. (D), Sheehy (D), Weinstein (D), Skindell (D), Crawley (D), Crossman (D).

To amend section 2923.25 of the Revised Code to prohibit a federally licensed firearms dealer from transferring a firearm while a background check is pending unless 30 days have elapsed.
https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... 133-HB-320
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: H.B. 320: Up to 30 days hold during background check

Post by Javelin Man »

So what if the background check is instant? Good to go?

If nothing is found within a few days or even a week, what makes them think 30 days will turn up something?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

A solution for which there is no problem....

Well, not really - but I've wanted to use that line for a while....

However, the legislators that came up with this missed the target. If the folks who supply the negative materials can do that in two or three days, and if it's accurate, or has a real appeal process, there's little problem here. (Presuming the appeal process is quick, and can be handled by phone or other very simple method.) When we talk about things like the "No-Fly" list, it goes to the "impossible", because the process for clearing that is nearly impossible....

The basic background check, should it require a shrink to sign off on it, is just plain impossible. The shrinks that the government might use aren't going to sign off on about anybody. If they have any liability, they're gone....

I was on disability from the folks at Social Security for quite a while. After a few years, they had me come in for a re-evaluation. Somewhere along the line, they lost my file, and then dropped me. Major PITA to fix that, but the fun part was when they had me go to their shrink. The folks in the waiting room were a good excuse for me carrying, btw. The guy started asking questions, down a list. He go to "do you have any guns?", and then about lost it when I said "yes". "How many?" I stopped to count 'em up, and the shrink asked me "how does it take you so long to think of a count?" That's when I reminded him of my Law Enforcement background. "You collect these things", is what I told him.... He was very glad when I left :D....

My point is that "my" shrink, if I had one, would likely never have signed off on this - too much liability.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

All the more reason to get your CHL folks.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

If nothing is found within a few days or even a week, what makes them think 30 days will turn up something?
Them think not anything about that.

Never crossed their minds

It's all about RESTRICTING, boaCONSTRICTING, ELIMINATING gun purchases

The NEXT thing WILL be, well! 30 days wasn't good enough, we be needing us a 60 day

90 day

ALL day

BUTT alas, these R the kind of bills the (R) legispotators will flunk , ''see, we fought 4U'' , ''we went against the governors office on this,''along with the obligatory ''vote for us, donate lot$a ca$h, U don't want them winning, do you?''
Last edited by WhyNot on Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

djthomas wrote:All the more reason to get your CHL folks.
Yes, circumventing the need for a background check is certainly one carrot in the current CHL structure.
There are other carrots, to be certain.
If UBC legislation moves forward, one can envision the CHL circumvention to be targeted for destruction.

My larger concern is that the CHL database is the first place cross referenced against medical prescription records (thank you RobertsCare) for immediate impact in the ERPO war.

Who would put it past DeWhine to come out and make a statement along the lines of..."We've cross referenced our records and understand that there are X hundred people living in the State of Ohio who are on potentially suicidal and have access to firearms. We MUST pass this legislation to help our communities stay safe from this danger!"
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798