DeWine: Everything's on the table for gun policy changes

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: DeWine: Everything's on the table for gun policy changes

Post by kcclark »

The mayors and police chiefs said Gov. DeWine's 17-point plan to address gun violence is a good first step.
https://www.10tv.com/article/ohio-mayor ... e-2019-sep

Interesting/scary how 17-point plan equals one step to these people.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

kcclark wrote:
The mayors and police chiefs said Gov. DeWine's 17-point plan to address gun violence is a good first step.

The next step is Beto's plan and the destruction of the Second Amendment.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Gov. Mike DeWine plans to reveal on Monday the official bill language on expanded background checks and red-flag gun confiscation, two major issues that have been at the center of heated debate in the aftermath of the Dayton mass shooting.
https://www.statenews.org/post/dewine-p ... d-flag-law
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

He's been closing this deal for many weeks without laying the turd on the table and letting people rebuke the devil in the details.

The bully pulpit of the office is powerful, indeed.
#WinningKoolaide
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

COLUMBUS, Ohio—On Aug. 6, just two days after a gunman killed 10 people outside a Dayton bar, Gov. Mike DeWine unveiled his plan to reform Ohio’s gun laws – including near-universal background checks and a “red-flag” law.

Now, more than two months later, DeWine has revealed the details of the draft legislation he wants lawmakers (including skeptical Republicans) to pass. And they’re less strict than what the governor originally proposed.
https://www.cleveland.com/open/2019/10/ ... -plan.html
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Under the governor’s plan, people looking to sell a gun privately to another individual could go to their county sheriff, who would run a background check on the potential buyer. If the check came back clean, the sheriff would issue a “seller protection certificate” to the would-be seller, offering confidence that he or she was selling the gun to a respectable buyer.

DeWine also retreated from his call for a “red-flag” law, which worried many legislative Republicans because of concerns that it would allow the government to seize guns without a hearing -- and, if hearings were required, that they would warn people ahead of time that their guns were about to be taken.

Rather, the governor’s new proposal builds on state’s existing “pink-slip” law allowing involuntary psychiatric hospitalization for people suspected of being likely to cause harm to themselves or others. Under existing law, such people cannot own or buy a gun.

SNIP

Right now, state law doesn’t allow “pink slips” for drug or alcohol problems. The governor’s proposal would change the law to include such issues.

DeWine said he revised his earlier gun plan because of concerns it wouldn’t pass the GOP-dominated legislature. But he said the new plan would “get the job done.”
Grow the Prohibited Persons...that'll do it!
Mercy.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

From the Statehouse Bureau,"Husted said potential buyers can request background checks from sheriffs’ offices, which can issue a “seller protection certificate” good for 90 days. That certificate or a valid concealed carry weapons permit can be presented to private sellers as proof they’ve passed a background check".

I think the first part (certificate) will not be used by a buyer since it's too cumbersome and time consuming. Now the second part (concealed carry permit) would fly. This should be a incentive for people to get their CCW. I did not see any thing pertaining to family member transfers.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

kcclark wrote:

Just watched Dayton Major Nan Whealey speak at DeWine"s press conference on the news tonight. She says his gun violence bills don't go far enough but it's a "start". To Democrats every anti-gun bill passed is a start. The finish line is when all guns are confiscated.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

...legislation he wants lawmakers (including skeptical Republicans) to pass. And they’re less strict well, for now than what the governor originally proposed.
Under the governor’s plan, people looking to sell a gun privately to another individual could go to their county sheriff, who are UNDERSTAFFED, now. Used to be Chief LEO of the state, where exactly :idea: is all this extra staff coming from? I know! NO WHERE :P !! And what of the (D) strong counties again please?? You 2A folk will just have to ...take a number!!
Don't call us, we'll call you! HOW DELICIOUS...one county acting differently than another. I guess ORC 9.68 gets pooped on! ! ! 8)
DeWine also retreated from his call for a “red-flag” law again, for now, which...
news tonight. She says his gun violence bills don't go far enough but it's a "start". To Democrats every anti-gun bill passed is a start. The finish line is when all guns are confiscated.
Ooops :lol: again, ...for now

Republican Party becoming more Democrat IMHO. What's next, higher taxes?
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

“Read my lips, no new taxes”
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Does anyone have a link to the actual bill yet?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Chuck wrote:Does anyone have a link to the actual bill yet?
Hasn't yet been introduced by any legislator.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Lt. Gov. Jon Husted said the mission was to come up with something that would be constitutional while respecting Second Amendment rights, and still manage to pass the Republican-dominated legislature. Husted said this package was developed with hundreds of hours of consultations with mental health experts, hospitals, law enforcement and gun rights groups.

“Everything we are doing places no new restrictions or limitations on a law-abiding citizen to own a gun,” Husted said at a Monday press conference. “These proposals are focused on keeping guns out of the hands of people who, based on current law, are prevented from owning a gun.”

Husted said the administration felt a “red flag” law, which former Gov. John Kasich unsuccessfully pushed last year, would be “inadequate and unworkable.” He said a valid due process period would take at least 72 hours, which poses a potential danger to that person and to law enforcement. And Husted said just removing the gun doesn’t mean you’ve kept that person or others safe.

The proposal in this bill is being called an “enhanced safety protection order.” It’s built on the existing “pink slip” law, which allows for people assessed by mental health experts in a psychiatric facility.
Yeah, man....we can't even wait 72 hours to impose our tyranny on people once the anonymous call comes in...
MUST. DO. S̶O̶M̶E̶T̶H̶I̶N̶G̶.̶ TYRANNY.

Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

The same people screaming for immediate removal of the guns because waiting 72 hours is a danger to the potential victims will also scream that a person must wait at least 72 hours to purchase a firearm.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »